DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
2 members and 578 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Michelin Pilot Power 3
Unread
  (#1)
Do It Like This

Michelin Pilot Power 3 - November 19, 2013, 08:47 AM

The Pilot Power 3's are the truth.......And the French did a good job getting rid of the squishy feeling mid corner that made me only try the 2ct's and Pures each once when they first debuted and go back to the original Pilot Powers which I have run since 2005.

The inch to inch and a half of slick soft compound edge on these tires are confidence inspiring at first glance. Overall, the tread pattern to me looks a little overkilled, and almost resembles some sort of a rain slick.
After riding them in the damp conditions, I will say the large sipes and soft compounds work well. But, you will be reminded of the damp/wet conditions once your confidence gets a lil overboard and you get the tire into the slick area. The slip was more like a "skip" or "hiccup" as I continued on at the same pace making adjustments to getting off the bike a lil more and pushing the bike back up into the sipe areas.

When I got into the dry roads, and even with the cooler temps I was whacking the hell out of the throttle mid corner, spins were inspiring and predictable. Just held the throttle position and the tire would catch up and come back inline.
Trail breaking deep and riding the front very hard into the entrances reminded me of the turn in quickness, stability, and grip of my 211's on my track bike. I really cant wait to put the 1K back on the track with these PP3's and see if I can grease them up to the slip slide action I got in the summer with this bike and the original Pilot Powers. They PP's took 5 laps at 1.31-1.33 @ Tbolt pace to get oily, which really is pretty good for a true DOT tire.

I usually get 3000 miles out of a Pilot Power Rear, and run two rears to one front.
Most that know me, know I run my tires til the inner carcass shows (front and rear) so 3000 miles would be more like 2000-2500 for most street riders.
Now to see what their PP3's give me mileage wise. If not over 2k it will be hard to keep me from going back to the faithful PP 190/55's for my aggressive street bike riding. But "If" they can hold the temps on the track I may consider them an alternative "CR'n" tire spending 290 a set compared to the 211's at 369 per set. And could benefit from the added rain traction as I am usually the first CR out running on the wet tracks.

For some reason, I like riding wet tracks/street, and old worn out tires on the track/street.
Now that I think of it my parents did always buy us a new slip and slide every year during summer break.......LOL

Anyways, I am hoping for good miles on these PP3's, but I am gonna make it very hard on them to make it. Then again, that's no different than any set I run.

Game On.

Last edited by PROC; November 19, 2013 at 09:06 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to