DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
6 members and 537 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

December 8, 2004, 06:14 PM

You're right, it was fixed. It was running better than it ever had since I bought the bike. But then I took my engine out of the frame to fix and oil leak. Once I put the engine back in, thats when the problems started...again.

The first issue was that the clutch didn't seem to disengage all the way when pulling the lever in. Prior to taking the engine out, I put white out on the cable where the adjusting points are on the engine. That way I could put the cable back on the engine with the same tension. I never disconnected the cable from the clip-on, so that adjustment point never changed. When I re-installed the engine, I put the cable back on and all the white out marks lined up. However when I went to start the bike, the bike lurches forward as though I'm not pulling the clutch handle far enough. I've spent days adjusting that cable from one extreme to another just trying to get the clutch to disengage, hoping that after thats accomplished, I could adjust it to a usable spot. That never happened because problem #2 popped up and took center stage.

Problem #2 is electrical. My bike won't start, the starter won't even engage. This had happened maybe 6 times over the last month, but now all of a sudden this is all that it will do. When I go to start the bike, the only thing that happens is the stater relay clicks when I push the start button. When I put a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter, the starter engages. At first I thought my relay had gone bad, so I bought a new one and replaced it. Same results. A coworker who understands electronics better than I suggested after looking at my wireing diagram that I use a jumper wire and take the clutch interlock switch out of the loop. He thinks that might be part of the problem since my clutch isn't disengaging.

And thats where I'm at right now. I just haven't had time to try his suggestion. So....thats whats wrong with my bike.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I walked in on Steve while he was in the bathroom once, it was glorious...
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
2002 Sportster 883 (for her)
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 (second one) - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 8, 2004, 06:19 PM

Will you have time this weekend? I just need to pick up my wheels on Saturday a.m. then I'm free. I could come over and take a look.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

December 8, 2004, 06:20 PM

I have to leave my house by 2:45pm to be at work by 4pm both Saturday and Sunday. I live one exit north of Quantico. If you wouldn't mind coming down, you're more than welcome. Give me a call.

703-725-2959

-Steve

Quote:
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#4)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

December 18, 2004, 02:12 PM

Ok, the new starter is in and I'm still having the same results. However, this time I put jumper cables from my car to the bike battery with the starter wire disconnected from the starter. When I touched the starter wire to the starter, the starter turned over, so at least I know my engine isn't ceased and that the stater does work.

I understand that I was basically just running the stater off my car at this point, but what I don't understand is why I was able to get the starter to run without pushing the START button? Shouldn't I still have to push this button to close the circut in the starter solenoid? How does the electricity go from my car, through the jumper cables, through the power cable from my bike's battery, through the starter solenoid and then to the starter without me pushing the START button?

The other thing I found out today was that one of my coils isn't putting spark out to two of my spark plugs. I had all four plugs out and on my bare metal valve cover and only two spark plugs made spark. I swapped out the bad coil with another one I have laying around the garage and still got no spark from those two plugs. Unfortunitally I don't know if this second coil is good or not, like I said it was just laying around. So obviously that is what was keeping my engine from starting back before this other starter problem popped up.

-Steve

Quote:
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 18, 2004, 04:43 PM

Do you have a wiring diagram from a service manual I could look at? I can look at ones for my GS and SV, but just in case there are differences.

Connect the "good" coil to the other leads and the "bad" one to the leads that the good coil were on and see what happens.

The starter just needs a ground and a connection to a positive lead of a battery in order to work. Everything else is so it doesn't activate when it shouldn't and to prevent overloading the system.

Take a look at this attached SV diagram. The wires I colored are the main ones involved. As you can see, there is a relationship between the starter, coils, clutch switch, and start button.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (145.6 KB, 63 views)

Unread
  (#6)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

December 19, 2004, 03:26 PM

Yup, I've got the Clymer's manual with all the wiring diagrams you'd want to look at. I'll switch the leads on the coils and see what happens and get back to you.

-Steve

Quote:
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
Unread
  (#7)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

December 29, 2004, 03:07 PM

I finally switched the leads on the coils. My other coil does fire with the leads from the bad coil. So it seems I need a new coil.

I'm off to find one on ebay.

-Steve

Quote:
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
Unread
  (#8)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
December 29, 2004, 03:22 PM

Try A@J cycles out of Philly

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#9)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

December 29, 2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA
Try A@J cycles out of Philly
Got any contact info? Whittz Suzuki wants $68.00 for a new one. I'm pretty sure I should go ahead and replace both of them, but for $136.00 I think I'm gonna keep looking for something cheaper.

-Steve

Quote:
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
Unread
  (#10)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
December 29, 2004, 03:46 PM

A@J cycle salvage in Lester Pa, 6105216700

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

December 29, 2004, 04:18 PM

dude just pay the 65 bucks, the trip to the salavge and time is going to be more then 65 bucks. and if you get a used one it maybe another year til it goes bad or less.

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#12)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 29, 2004, 04:51 PM

Some compatible coils are from the '91 GSXR1100 and '92 750 and 1100.

Possibly compatible are the 750/1100 from '93-95.