DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 544
4 members and 540 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, Nobrains, superchickencornermonster
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
My steering stop fix.
Unread
  (#1)
Too Fat To Be Fast

My steering stop fix. - February 8, 2006, 10:26 AM

This may help some others that have this issue although not all bikes use the same steering stop engineering. But if you have a tab on the steering head that’s been shared off due to a slapper or a track hoe (such as this one) that has seen better days keep this in mind.

As you can see from this pic the tab that was the steering stop is long gone…

After some time with a Dremel I cleaned the surface down to a flat area. The bolt I used was a M8x1.25 from my stock rearsets (wasn’t being used). I used a 17/64” drill bit to drill into the steering head (~3/4”). Then taped the hole with a 8x1.25 bit. Be sure not to over tighten the bolt or use Loctite. Should you enter a situation of another slapper that does enough damage to snap the bolt head you want to be able to get it out and replace… Granted, the bike might not be rebuilding after that but hey, I’m rebuilding this thing.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

February 8, 2006, 11:18 AM

Interesting idea... I guess if you crash again then it shearing off and twisting the front end would be the least of your problems...

If all you're trying to do is get it back out to the track then this should work great.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

February 8, 2006, 11:22 AM

I actually need to make one for my GSXR front end, great idea.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Too Fat To Be Fast

February 8, 2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
If all you're trying to do is get it back out to the track then this should work great.
Yep, this is for a TLR I'm building as my track biatch...

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

February 9, 2006, 08:08 AM

Looks like a clean install but I don't know if I would have drilled and tapped the frame neck like that. I would have just welded a new stop in place.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Pleased to meet me

February 9, 2006, 09:06 AM

Loctight?
Unread
  (#7)
Too Fat To Be Fast

February 9, 2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadambusiness
Loctight?
No, Loctite.

Used to keep bolts from backing out. Red = Strong, Blue = Medium & Green is soft. Blue is the most common used but you'll find that Suzuki really likes the red stuff... the bastards. I want to change my rearset lever to a short one but the three small bolts with blue Loctite have already twisted one Allen key.

If Loctite is used and bolt head snaps it would be a royal pain to remove it.

BlackHatch, the idea of welding came to mind but the bearings would have to removed/replaced because of the heat generated in the process of welding the aluminum. The hole is not in a load sensitive area nor does it go through to the steering stem. Yes, it would have been questionable if I was drilling next to the welded frame rail. The welded area would then need to be cleaned and the material removed during that process would in effect weaken the stop.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a Realtor in VA

February 9, 2006, 03:32 PM

what about all the aluminum bits that are now in your lower steering head bearings? But cool Idea dude we could market that just put a zerc fitting in the threaded hole pump it up with a grease gun......No really, now what about the aluminum bits in the steering head bearings?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#9)
Too Fat To Be Fast

February 9, 2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider
what about all the aluminum bits that are now in your lower steering head bearings? But cool Idea dude we could market that just put a zerc fitting in the threaded hole pump it up with a grease gun......No really, now what about the aluminum bits in the steering head bearings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnCycle
The hole is not in a load sensitive area nor does it go through to the steering stem.
Not an issue.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
Unread
  (#10)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

February 9, 2006, 04:36 PM

If you are worried about tank slappers breaking off the steering lock like that...get the lead wheel weights and stick them to it. The retricted range is not noticible...and the lead deforms and generally cushions the lock tab. Just a suggestion. (I'd also add it to the improvised stop you made.)

Just my $0.02.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

February 9, 2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnCycle
BlackHatch, the idea of welding came to mind but the bearings would have to removed/replaced because of the heat generated in the process of welding the aluminum. The hole is not in a load sensitive area nor does it go through to the steering stem. Yes, it would have been questionable if I was drilling next to the welded frame rail. The welded area would then need to be cleaned and the material removed during that process would in effect weaken the stop.
We have welded them back up but because we not ultra concerned with the structural integrity of the the weld, we did not set to penetrate very deeply. That way, if you snap it off again, doesn't take a whole lot with it. Also, you can fill the steering head with water or a wet rag and not have to worry about pulling the bearings.
Unread
  (#12)
I'm a Realtor in VA

February 9, 2006, 11:13 PM

burn right. Was the front end removed before that install? That is an issue if it wasn't
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#13)
Too Fat To Be Fast

February 10, 2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider
burn right. Was the front end removed before that install? That is an issue if it wasn't
No, it wasn't... No it's not.

I can guarantee that no metal shards dropped down on to the lower triple and then climbed up passed the seal to the bearings.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE