DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 539
1 members and 538 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

May 19, 2004, 08:45 AM

the previous owner of my bike put a barnett race clutch and a heavy duty clutch spring in my bike. 1998 GSXR600. It uses 2 clutch springs, the diaphragm type. The clutch was ridiculously hard to pull and my left wrist would be shot after only half a day on the track, so I decided to put stock springs back in. Pulled everything apart and replaced the springs with OEM. Actually, I was under the impression that the P.O. had 2 heavy duty springs in there, but when I got it apart, one looked OEM and the other was definitely aftermarket, so I just replaced the aftermarket one with a new OEM. Put everything back together and tested it out. Shifts fine, but it clunks like holy hell when going into gear. If the bike is running, clutch engaged, and I pull the clutch in to shift into first, as soon as I shift, it clunks, and you can see the chain tension up (I know this is normal to some extent, but it does it way worse since the spring install). If I keep the clutch disengaged I can shift through the gears smoothly, but as soon as I go to neutral, engage, the clutch, disengage it again and select a gear (doesn't matter if it's first or second), it clunks like holy hell again. Also, when riding the bike, it'll clunk going from one gear to the next. Doesn't clunk when I let the clutch out, it clunks while clutch is disengaged as soon as next gear is selected. As I said, if I don't engage the clutch after a gear selection has been made, I can go through all of the gears with no clunk, so this problem obviously has something to do with the clutch, I just can't figure out what. I checked the cable play and it seems to be adjusted fine...I originally was hoping that the clutch cable was too loose and the clutch wasn't fully disengaging when I pulled the lever in, but again, cable seems to be properly adjusted. It almost seems as though for some other reason, the clutch isn't fully disengaging when I pull in the clutch lever, and once a gear has been selected it sorta kicks the clutch out of engagement. If the bike is up on the rear stand, the wheel doesn't spin when in gear (after clunking has occurred), so I know at that point the clutch is definitely not engaged. Any mechanically minded people have any ideas for me? I know I re-assembled everything properly and used the correct torque value for the clutch nut (that thing is a bitch to tighten to 150 n-m). Thanks for any help.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)

May 19, 2004, 11:57 AM

possibly sticking clutch plates? Seems to be a common cause of "the clunk" based on my internet perusal. Whatya think?
Unread
  (#3)
Has an idiot exemption

May 19, 2004, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_FZR
possibly sticking clutch plates?
Yep.
The 2 different spring types used in those year Gixxers gave me fits trying to launch my bike.
Did you check the coil spring length?
For sure the plates are sticking...not sure why it's worse now.
Won't really hurt anything but I'd be inclined to find out why...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#4)

May 19, 2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
The 2 different spring types used in those year Gixxers gave me fits trying to launch my bike.
Did you check the coil spring length?
I don't even know where the coil spring is??? The two springs I'm talking about are the diaphragm type

Stole this pic from a bandit website, but the clutch is almost identical, the springs are on the far right, midway down in the picture.

Anyway, is there another spring that I need to consider? Assuming it is a case of sticking clutch plates, then I too want to know why this problem is surfacing since I swapped springs. The bike sat oil-less for a few hours with no tension on the clutch assembly, not sure if that has anything to do with it. So aside from annoying clunks, will this cause any damage if I ride it this way until I have a chance to investigate further? Thanks for your input Steve!
Unread
  (#5)
Has an idiot exemption

May 19, 2004, 01:13 PM

Sorry...meant diaphram spring.
Common thing to do...just add one aftermarket spring to ease the lever pull. Problem is the stock one can get weak.
My guess is the stock spring that was left in is now weak.
The manual has a check to see how tall the spring should be. It gets flatter with age.
So now it's not dis-engaging all the way since the other stock spring is back in.
You are correct...won't really hurt anything.
Just will put more wear on the cush-drive over time.
I'd fix it if it were me though...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#6)

May 19, 2004, 01:23 PM

that makes sense...guess I'll get another OEM and replace the old spring that's in there. I thought there were 2 heavy duty barnett springs in there, but when I opened it up only 1 appeared to be an aftermarket spring. I had planned to do 1 aftermarket, 1 stock to lighten up the clutch pull, but it appears as though that had already been done! Damn, I've got a wussy wrist I guess. I will definitely fix it but I just don't think I have time to get to it before my next track day. I doubt I could even get another OEM spring in time. Anyway, thanks again Steve!
Unread
  (#7)
Has an idiot exemption

May 19, 2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_FZR
Anyway, thanks again Steve!
No problem.
Good luck!

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1