DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 232
1 members and 231 guests
Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need Help Diagnosing Problem
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Need Help Diagnosing Problem - September 2, 2009, 11:49 PM

Alright, so I'll tell you what I did and then include the issues I'm seeing. *

My bike died after leaving the lights on all night. *I took the seat off the next morning (late for work) and couldn't find the battery. *It was under the ECM (which is the black box thing with the two 20-some-odd pin connectors coming out of it), but I was sweating, hungover, and didn't look at it carefully. *I saw the red covered metal connection (which I found out later I think is the ignition switch, you can see this where I designated the '+' connection on the pictures because that's where I connected the positive lead from the car battery). *I connected the negative lead to the placer where i have the '-' sign in the pictures. *Initially, my bike was in gear and when I touched the ground end of the lead to the metal part labeled with the '-' in the pictures, the lead sparked, the bike edged forward and tried to turn over. *This was my first clue I was bipassing the entire ignition system (yea, i should have stopped at this point, but I didn't). *So I put the bike in neutral and tried to reconnect the ground lead to the metal part. *The bike didn't edge forward, and my clock came on. *I let it sit for a second, then turned the key (the bike turned on). *I have a CBR 4fi so I pushed in the FI switch to prime the pump, and then hit the ignition, everything started up fine. I waited a minute, removed the cables, and got ready to go. *As soon as I started riding the bike I noticed something wasn't right. *From 2-5k it wasn't pulling very well, and it seemed to almost be misfiring. *Then, when I was switching gears, the bike died altogether (I originally thought this was becasue the battery was completely dead but it has happened since, and I know my battery is fine now, I've tested it). *When I pulled over I noticed when the bike was idling it wasn't idling steadily, although the difference in revs was probably less than 100 revs/min so not that noticable. *However, the lights were flickering at the same time when the engine speed changed. *Then I thought it might just need to charge the battery, so I held the throttle (bike is stopped at this point) at around 5k revs. *Even though I held the throttle steady I noticed through the tach (barely) and by the engine noise, that the speed of the engine was shuttering a bit. *When I let go of the throttle to let it idle, the bike died altogether. *I left the bike there (random neighborhood) and headed to work with my friend who was nice enough to drop me off. *

I went out there that night and tried to jump it correctly - this time connecting the leads to the battery. *Nothing happened. *I decided to take the battery with me and charge it for a day. *That night it stormed pretty much all night. *I wasn't able to get back out there to put the battery back in for two days. *When I finally did, the bike seemed to run well again - started up without any issue. *It rode ok for a couple days after that, but since has started to buck again when the throttle is held steady. *The 'FI' light has come on once or twice when this gets pretty bad. *I think I may have either messed up the ECM by connecting the car battery incorrectly, or it is an issue with something else that's electronic. *My bike has a little over 4k miles on it and has never been down, so I don't see it being an engine issue. *All fluids were changed at 2500 miles. *Please let me know what you guys think and what I should check (if I can do it at home, I have some access to pretty good tools), and what issues might cause the symptoms I'm seeing. *The pictures are attached.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)

September 2, 2009, 11:51 PM

I will upload the photos tomorrow when i get a chance. I'm on my phone right now and for some reason can't upload them. Thanks in advance for any help.
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

September 3, 2009, 02:36 AM

get a new battery
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

September 3, 2009, 07:23 AM

A motorcycle battery does not survive a complete drain very well. My friend's 08 CBR600 would die without warning when his battery was shot. We put cables from a car on it, and it was fine. Took the cables off, it ran for a minute or two, then died.

BTW as a reminder to everyone, always jump a motorcycle from a car battery alone and not the car's electrical system. In otherwords, never start the car. Leave it turned off. Otherwise the current is too high coming into the bike.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)

September 3, 2009, 08:31 AM

here are the pics of where I connected the leads coming from the car battery. The positive lead is designated by the '+' and the ground is designated by '-'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.JPG (275.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2.JPG (362.3 KB, 11 views)
Unread
  (#6)

September 3, 2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red t3d r1 View Post
get a new battery

I don't think it's the battery. The bike has never failed to start after recharging the battery, and I had the battery tested two nights ago - it was putting out 320 volt-amps which I think is more than enough for a motorcycle battery. I really think it's the ECM, but I have no way of testing it.
Unread
  (#7)
Pleased to meet me

September 3, 2009, 08:37 AM

Begin with a new battery.
Unread
  (#8)
Has an idiot exemption

September 3, 2009, 08:42 AM

I vote for battery

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#9)
old fat and slow

September 3, 2009, 08:43 AM

check the fuses first
then have the battery load tested

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#10)
Has an idiot exemption

September 3, 2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
check the fuses first
then have the battery load tested
Read 2 posts above.
He had the batt load tested.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#11)
TPG - screw face

September 3, 2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red t3d r1 View Post
get a new battery
tru...anything you do before getting a new batter is pretty much pointless.

once a battery is drained, it's pretty much a rap. Plus it will cause other major components of ur charging system to work harder.
1. the plates on the inside can fuse together = battery death
2. the battery never really "fully" recharges, as it will only charge back up to the amount of power it can store (some shit like that how it was explained to me )

oh..and don't work on the bike when ur hammered
Unread
  (#12)
TPG - screw face

September 3, 2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkg5p View Post
I don't think it's the battery. The bike has never failed to start after recharging the battery, and I had the battery tested two nights ago - it was putting out 320 volt-amps which I think is more than enough for a motorcycle battery. I really think it's the ECM, but I have no way of testing it.
flash ur ECM.

1. disconnect your battery
2. disconnect your ECM
3. wait a few minutes
4. plug in your ECM
5. plug in your battery

Test ur stator too

or you could just drop the $120 for an electrical diagnosis at fairfax cycles...since ur already in fairfax.

Last edited by Oneway; September 3, 2009 at 08:49 AM..
Unread
  (#13)
SMB
sans motor bike

September 3, 2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
2. the battery never really "fully" recharges, as it will only charge back up to the amount of power it can store (some shit like that how it was explained to me )
+1

*wow you actually remembered*

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce
Unread
  (#14)

September 3, 2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
flash ur ECM.

1. disconnect your battery
2. disconnect your ECM
3. wait a few minutes
4. plug in your ECM
5. plug in your battery

Test ur stator too

or you could just drop the $120 for an electrical diagnosis at fairfax cycles...since ur already in fairfax.
Thanks, I'll try that. How do I test the stator? If it's not the ECM then I really don't know what it could be - it has low mileage and was well taken care of so I can't see it being something mechanical. Plus it's run perfectly (no problems at all) up until the morning I jumped it incorrectly. The jump may have messed up the hardware on the ECM and flashing it may not work, but that's a good starting point.
Unread
  (#15)
SMB
sans motor bike

September 3, 2009, 09:03 AM

you can do a simple load test if you have a multimeter....but +1 to buy a new battery,

FWIW those auto parts stores will do a FREE load test

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce