DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 548
1 members and 547 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 3, 2004, 11:37 AM

Had my VFR in for the 16k service which involves a valve check. Having never done one before, I figured a bike with V-Tec would not be the best one to learn on so better let a professional do it. See here for my reasons :

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/index.ph...ewtopic&t=3981

So anyway, the manual calls for 8 hours to do the job. I found a mechanic with a very good rep, and although he had not done one before on a v-tec, I talked with him a bit and realized he knew enough to handle it. Well, took him 15 hours total. (have to remove cams, insert slide pin stoppers, reinstall cams check clearance. if all is ok, at that point, you still need to remove cams and remove slide pin stoppers and reinstall cams. If something needs adustment, that just adds more steps.) Do the math and you can figure out how expensive that is going to be. Since it was their first one, they worked with me on the price, but after that, the shop said they would never do another one! WTF!? Any of you v-tec guys had your VFRs in for 16k service, and what was your experience?

BTW added a K&N and she's running strong! Wheelies like a champ!

Found I had a mice problem at my storage unit too, and they were getting into my airbox and tearing the foam! Where'd I put that rat poison!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 3, 2004, 11:38 AM

Oh, and BTW, this was a local Richmond shop.

And the valves did require adjustment! Had to order 3 new buckets (can't shim the v-tec valves).
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#3)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 3, 2004, 03:58 PM

I'm well aware of the nightmare called v-tec. It's been a major topic of discussion on the VFR List since they first came out. Seems that a lot of people are now reaching the first adjustment interval and getting not-so-pleasant surprises from the shop.

One more reason my old-tech, carbureted, gear-driven cammed '95 rules.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to