DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
4 members and 542 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

June 26, 2005, 08:37 AM

So I was puttering around yesterday for the first time on my 2000 CBR600 and after a while, I noticed that the oil pressure light (genie lamp) seemed to be on. So I rode it back, put it on the side stand, and looked at the oil level. I only saw a little bit of light green fluid on the bottom of the circle/window.

According to the manual, I'm supposed to turn the engine on, check to see that the oil pressure light goes off, let it run for 2-3 minutes, and then turn the engine off, stand the bike up straight, and look at the oil circle/window.

Does it make a difference whether it's on the side stand or standing straight? I guess I can try having someone hold the bike up.

Also, I went outside this morning and I saw two small patches of something near the bike. But it wasn't necessarily under it so I figured maybe my dad spilled some brake fluid yesterday when he was checking that. I had the bike sitting for most of the day after it was delivered to me and I saw absolutely no leaks so I'm hoping that my dad just spilled something.

Also, if I decide to buy some oil and add it, does it matter what brand or type (synthetic/regular) is already in the bike? Can they mix? I emailed the guy who sold it to me, and he had just recently done the oil change and some small stuff, and told me I should get a full maintenance done at 10,000 miles (it's at 9600 now). In case he doesn't know what kind of oil they used, I'm wondering if I should just go with the Pro Honda GN4 that I see listed in the manual.

Thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

June 26, 2005, 09:07 AM

you need to be between the two lines.. i believe you have two lines on your little bubble. if not, check to see that you are half way at least up the bubble. it makes a difference if its up straight... because you get a true level, it wont be far off as it doesnt lean that much anyways.
ask your dad if he spilled and if not, you need to check for leaks. do not just add oil... i would never do that. i would actually change the oil anyways... but thats me.

take your time with it though...
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 26, 2005, 09:31 AM

I would change it too. It costs me about $30 to do it myself with a filter change. Synthetic will be slightly more expensive. But choose one or the other not both and you can swtich from either one at anytime. I have the Honda motorcycle oil you listed in my bike right now because no one had Suzuki oil. It worked great at the track.

Also if you saw green fluid where your oil is supposed to be, that is not good at all. That means you have coolant in your oil. Make sure to check it again and make sure its not green. The oil should be a light brown color that you can see through.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

June 26, 2005, 10:01 AM

The weird thing is the guy who sold me the bike did an oil change like two weeks ago or something, I think 6/18. Perhaps the oil is clear so the bubble looks empty? And I'll go check it again but I think the bit of liquid I thought I saw was not so green but kind of like light yellow with a green tint. I'll check it again.

Is it ok for me to turn on the engine and see if the oil pressure light is on or not? I'm guessing if it's not on, perhaps it came on cause I was idling. The manual mentioned that the light could flicker on at idle.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/
2000 Honda CBR600 F4
Unread
  (#5)
Retired to most ...

June 26, 2005, 10:04 AM

Green fluid??? Thats not good at all. That normaly means you have coolant in your oil. NEVER JUST ADD MORE OIL....EVER EVER EVER!! I suggest change it and check for leaks. Good luck!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

June 26, 2005, 10:19 AM

Ok went out and checked. Sorry guys, no green fluid. What I thought was green was only the edges of the brass touching the window of the bubble. But I don't see any line in beteen the two lines. Could it be possible that it's full of oil and that the oil is just clear since it was put in like a week or two ago?

Also, I tried turning the engine on and the oil pressure light was not on. Yes!

So does this mean that I have no problems and I can go putter around again?

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/
2000 Honda CBR600 F4
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

June 26, 2005, 10:27 AM

No. Oil starts off the murky brown syrupy color that it comes from out of the bottle fresh, and only proceeds to turn black as it passes through your engine. It will never be clear.

Make sure that your bike is upright. Have a friend hold it, or put it on a rear stand. This is important because often times the gauge is on the right side of the bike and the bike needs to be upright for the oil to settle in the engine so you can get a true reading of how much oil is in it.

Check for leaks, that is the most important thing.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

June 26, 2005, 10:30 AM

I've checked for leaks and I see no spots on the floor (except the same one I saw earlier this morning, which I must ask my dad about).

Yeah I have the bike on the side stand and the gauge is on the right side of the bike. But as for a brown color in the gauge, I see nothing.

I think I'm going to try puttering around a bit on the bike and see if the oil pressure light comes on again.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/
2000 Honda CBR600 F4
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 26, 2005, 10:31 AM

If your holding your bike upright or have someone else do it so you can get a better look at it, you definately should see oil in there whether it being a light brown color or will be a dark brown color once it ages. Oil is never that clear that you can't see it. If you dont see any, add some in there. It's probably not a bad idea to warm the engine up to get the oil moving around.. Add a little at a time so you see the oil in the middle of the two lines in the window. Always make sure the bike is upright and not on the kickstand when checking the oil level.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#10)
Got my Permit

June 26, 2005, 12:42 PM

Hey, I think everything is fine. I started up the bike, no light. I had my dad hold it straight and saw the oil, though it was near the bottom line, and I just came back from puttering around for an hour.

Thanks.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/
2000 Honda CBR600 F4