DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
7 members and 549 guests
beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Happiness Consultant

July 18, 2004, 09:33 PM

just wondering what oil people use/recommend.

I got some time before my next track day, and I've logged almost 3000 miles (just over 4.2k miles now) since my last oil change so a change isnt to far off in the future.

At my last track day, while in the pit out area waiting for a red flag to clear, I heard a couple guys talking about oils. One of them was mentioning about how Synthetic seemed to slow him down. So I was wondering what other peeps's experiences have been.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

July 18, 2004, 09:55 PM

I've used nothing but Dino changed in regular intervals. I've never quite had "SVBadGuy" mileage on my bikes but I've had a few relatively high mileagers.

My GSXR600 had 40k all on dino.
My VFR750 had 24k (in one year) all dino
My Hayabusa has 25k (13 months) all dino
My Vmax had 24k all dino

That's over 100k on four bikes with nary an oil related problem. Synth is a waste of money for general street riding IMO.

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Devil Dog

July 18, 2004, 10:14 PM

I heard that ams oil and some lucas products are also great for bikes on the track..

Scott 03 silver sv650s w/sharkskinz full farings

Scorched Earth
Vice Prez
Unread
  (#4)
Loves Sporking

July 18, 2004, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave
...I heard a couple guys talking about oils. One of them was mentioning about how Synthetic seemed to slow him down.
Wow, that's a new one. Ed, I've raced for five years, and I thought I had heard every excuse in the book, and created a few of my own along the way. You can't be serious, Word. Yeah, I passed that guy at our trackday, it had nothing to do with his oil. Funny chit, man.

To answer your question, I use Silkolene full-synthetic in the Aprilia. No, the oil doesn't make me any slower. That's something I do all by myself. haha.

To all the science geeks... yes, I know engine oils can affect horsepower, but the effect is marginal and not at all noticeable to most racers, much less some trackday participant.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

July 19, 2004, 12:12 AM

Here is my experience. Wet clutches on hondas and kawis in race conditions tend to slip running full synthetic. The shit is just too damned slickery. The ammount of slippage is relative to the age and condition of the clutchplates. I run honda hp4 semi-senthetic without molybdinum on anything with a wet clutch and have had zero problems. I've run full synthetic without notable problems on a few bikes but found that the clutches seemed to go early. AMS will tell you that this is not true anymore, that they have done wonderful things to prevent this, but I think the semi is a happy medium with no chance that the person trying to sell you their most expensive product is wrong. Plus you dont want to switch back once you go full synth. Id try the semi and see how it works out for you.

G
Unread
  (#6)
boxing twins

July 20, 2004, 04:50 PM

After a few thousand break-in miles, I switch from conventional (dino) oil to full synthetic (Motorex, Motul, etc). I've never noticed a difference in clutch or gearshift feel and life.

My BMW car uses Mobil-1 full sythetic and oil changes are every 15,000 miles. That tells me synthetic is clearly better than conventional.

For racing, I'd use full synthetic. For the cost conscious (no slight intended Scot), conventional oil is sufficient. I personally like to keep engine wear to a minimum so I spend the extra cash for full synthetic and a new oil filter every change.

I'd ask SVBadbuy for a perspective, since he's got the high mileage bikes.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend