DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 552
7 members and 545 guests
beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)

June 8, 2003, 07:55 PM

How many coats of clear coat does it take to get the OEM look?

Is it even possible to get that high gloss look?
I have put like 5 or 6 on and it is not getting any better. Still dull.

Also - this is the last time I buy OEM colors - 4 cans for entire plastics and no idea how much clear coat. It will end up costing close probably 220 for this and good bit of time. My tip - if you are saving money to avoid painting yourself, seriously consider finding a new color!

I am repairing parts for eBay sale and am using them as practice for the race plastics.

Anyway - I have learned that reparing plastic is actually something I enjoy. Perhaps a side business is in my future!

Thanks for any tips.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

June 8, 2003, 10:18 PM

You should only have to do one clear coat - that's what you get on a OEM paint job. But it will be very tough to get a good result for a street application with spray cans. Probably OK for track tough.

I posted some stuff in this thread from way back: http://www.dcsportbikes.net/modules....der=0&sid=28#7

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

June 9, 2003, 11:08 AM

are you wet sanding the clear coat? I used rattle cans from Colorite and got a great look! OEM colomatched paint.

I used about 3 coats of clear, wetsanded with 2000 grit, rubbed that out with 3m microcompound, then polish. Looks professional and has that deep gloss look...

Those of you who think you know it all upset those of us who do.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to adawg  
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

June 9, 2003, 11:37 PM

Just what I was going to say adawg... wet sand the clear coat with 2000 grit, then use 3M compound (you can buy the 3M compound at Walmart in the automotive dept).

You can scratch the clear coat as you are wet sanding, if you allow the bits of sanded-off dust to accumulate on the sandpaper. So, every now and then, stop wet sanding and rinse off the sandpaper (or move to an unused portion of the sandpaper).

You can also try wetsanding with 1500 then using the 3M compound, depending how much work you are willing to put in to get a nice finish. Also, you may want to wait before waxing or putting anything on top of the paint.

I don't think you can get a glossy finish just spraying the clear coat and letting it dry, unless you can spray it perfectly so it's completely wet but not dripping or sagging.

I think there are some pro painters on the board, like Chico/Berto or others.

-Ward
Unread
  (#5)
Banned

June 15, 2003, 11:05 AM

hey arlington, i know about as much as you do, but i can do some pretty hot designs if your looking to do some cool shit on your track bike, i wanted to get more into this as well and learn about it, even if yer jsut doing some regular painting id like to come by anbd check it out
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to pip666  
Unread
  (#6)

June 15, 2003, 09:27 PM

Pip -
you are more than welcome to come by and get some practice on my bike. I just finished the F4i I am trying to sell.
At the rate I am going - you will be a pro painter with all the plastic I go through!

I PM'd you back - give me a call this week and I can show you where I am at with the painting....the track plastic is still sitting their in primer. I own yamaha blue and honda silver for colors - but do not care what color the bike ends up.
Unread
  (#7)
Banned

June 17, 2003, 03:37 AM

ive got practice tuesday night, tonight when yer reading this, so ill give you a call tuesday night or wednesday and roll out
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to pip666