DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 505
5 members and 500 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)

June 21, 2003, 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the previous tips.
I combined some from this board and some from my CBR900RR list and tried my best.
The final "step" I went with was polishing/waxing the plastic. I heard that getting some heat on the wax really gives it the rich shine.
So I went to Pep Boys and bought a $50 waxer thing and some Meguires Clear Coat safe wax.

I did the front and it did not look any better.
So I went to the tail and after a few swipes managed to remove the clear coat and expose the underlying (red) paint again. Seeing as how the bike is silver, that is bad.

So I can only assume I removed the clear coat from the front (and some paint - but the front was silver before), and obviously the clear coat from the back and paint.

Sooooooooooo - my question is this; do those waxer/buffer things always take off clear coat or paint? Or did I just mess up one of the previous million steps on the clear coat (wet sand, reapply; let set for 72 hours, etc).

Thanks again. Pretty soon I will be selling this F4i in Primer.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

June 22, 2003, 03:21 PM

From what I understand, you shouldn't use wax or other stuff like that until a good while after the paintjob is done - like weeks or something.

-Ward
  Send a message via AIM to