DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
6 members and 516 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, MPSniper, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

November 26, 2002, 09:48 AM

I am thinking about upgrading the rear shock on my bike this winter. I have a 2001 Falco and know the options available from each manufacturer. What I am wondering is if anyone has an opinion of one brand over another. I have read in some places that service, Customer Support, etc., from Ohlins leaves much to be desired. Penkse, for all practical purposes, is up the road in PA with a good dealer support network or so it seems.

Also, I want a unit that I can take off the bike and put on a new one.

Any info or opinions? I know there is no shortage of opinions on this site.

"Nick675 - sounds like a Harley"
"Me - Its a trash can"
All - Hysterical laughter

Nuke the Moon. Go here to see why ->http://imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to elcidbob Send a message via AIM to elcidbob  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

November 26, 2002, 11:13 AM

I prefer Penske. I have them on my SV and VFR. Right now Ohlins can be had for cheaper, but they don't all have ride height adjustability. For your Falco Ohlins list the 46PRC which is not ride height adjustable. It that's not important to you then an Ohlins would do. Penske uses ball joints at the mounts which results in less binding which is a good thing. Additionally I think it would be easier to get parts and service for a Penske. From what I've heard Penskes are easier to rebuild. I recently bought the Penske for my VFR from http://www.dynamohumm.com/ It cost $715 shipped and took about a month because it is built and valved for your weight.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Conform & Obey

November 26, 2002, 06:49 PM

when i was looking for a new shock for my Falco, i originally ordered an Ohlins. but after three months, no shock. so i called Penske and told them what i wanted, they asked what bike i had and how much i weight. 6 days later i had the shock in hand. works like a dream too.

- splyn

Conform and Obey

The cornerstone of my psyche is a searing, unfocused rage.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to splyn  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

November 29, 2002, 08:09 AM

Sounds more like a dealer problem you had than with Ohlins themselves. It has never taken longer than a week for my Ohlins parts to arrive. I have Ohlins forks, rear shocks and dampers on both my race/track bikes and I wouldn't go with anything else. Do the top of the line Ducatis or Aprilias come with Penskes? Do WSBK, AMA or MotoGP use Penskes? Does Penske make forks? Just food for thought....

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 28, 2002, 08:25 AM

Hey bob, did you get one?

Ride your ride and be safe this season.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rixride  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

January 13, 2003, 02:24 PM

Welll.....I went on a cruise and got engaged so that dipped into my motorcycle fund a little. However, I am saving hard and plan on ordering one in Feb. Model 8981. I am going to have it installed while I am in Vegas and should be riding on it at the end of March.

I know...I know. Install it yourself. Its easy. I hate and let me repeat that again, hate, fucking with my suspension. It is the one thing on the bike I cannot stand. The shop I deal with in Gaithersburg is pretty good at that stuff. So, no fuss no muss. They order and instal and I ride. I may get the front revalved while it is in the shop too.

"Nick675 - sounds like a Harley"
"Me - Its a trash can"
All - Hysterical laughter

Nuke the Moon. Go here to see why ->http://imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to elcidbob Send a message via AIM to elcidbob  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

January 13, 2003, 03:05 PM

Bob,
I just replaced my shock on my R1 this past Saturday. Start to finish, including complete removal of stock shock, stock linkage and install of new linkage and Ohlins shcok was maybe 35 minutes. It's sooooo easy. No wheel removal, just sling subframe (footpegs), drop the belly pan and start unbolting shock/linkage(5bolts).

If you do take it to a shop don't let them charge you more than $50. That's what FastLanes charged for my ZX-12R when I also bought the shock from them. That was really tight fit. Had I all the tools and space last year I would've done that one myself too.

PAY UP LEE!

www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

January 27, 2003, 08:18 PM

Nice deal for you SV guys...

Quote:
Have an Ohlins rear shock (46 HRCL) for sale for an SV 650. Excellent condition. Also an Ohlins steering damper with mounting brackets. The damper looks like it came right out of the box. Damper brackets are for side mounting. I know Ohlins sells a top mount bracket kit also. The damper may work on any bike except for the bracketry. I will sell the rear shock for $425 and the damper for $325 plus buyer(s) pay for the shipping. For pics email me at jefc@centurytel.net

PAY UP LEE!

www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
Unread
  (#9)
I am a bitch, so what?

January 28, 2003, 08:02 AM

Quote:
The shop I deal with in Gaithersburg is pretty good at that stuff. So, no fuss no muss. They order and instal and I ride. I may get the front revalved while it is in the shop too.
Is that CAD Cycles? Those guys are great. They order all my parts for me.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil