DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 587
2 members and 585 guests
Cinko, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Possible Engine Sieze?
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

Possible Engine Sieze? - August 22, 2006, 07:58 PM

Went to drive the bike tonight and as I was starting the bike I heard a loud bang like a backfire and then the bike would not turn over. Then my clutch handle is unbelivably stiff. I can't get it to pull back all the way. I was able to shift into 1st gear but then it would not move. I was able to rock the bike back and forth to get it into nutral but the bike won't move at all. I tried to jump start the bike and used a external jump box, when that would not work I used a running car. still no joy to get it to turn over. Any idea what the problem could be?

I am thinking something is binding the clutch like a spring or a tooth from a clutch plate broke off. Could the engine have siezed? Or is just some foreign object is keeping the fly wheel from rotating.

It's a 1990 Kawasaki ZX10. I replaced the clutch plates about 2 years ago.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 22, 2006, 08:02 PM

Carbs still leaking on that thing? If so, hydrolock is a good possibility. And if that is the case you may have just bent a rod too.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Go Team Venture!!!

August 22, 2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Carbs still leaking on that thing? If so, hydrolock is a good possibility. And if that is the case you may have just bent a rod too.
Sort of. They seem to only leak when it sits for a few days. I fixed this by putting on an inline fuel switch so when I stop I turn off the flow from the tank. Then I only have to worry about what is still in the float bowls which is not much. If I bent a rod then I have parts for Ebay. How can I check this with out pulling the top off the engine?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#4)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 22, 2006, 08:36 PM

Start by pulling the spark plugs out and then trying to crank it. Either it will shoot out gas and the engine will start turning over, or it still won't do anything meaning something within the transmission/clutch is messed up.

Unread
  (#5)
Go Team Venture!!!

August 22, 2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Start by pulling the spark plugs out and then trying to crank it. Either it will shoot out gas and the engine will start turning over, or it still won't do anything meaning something within the transmission/clutch is messed up.
Thanks Travis, I will give that a try.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

August 22, 2006, 09:34 PM

post pics of the carnage eitherway. My buddy hydro locked his solid roller 383. It was not pretty.

pull the spark plugs and if it won't crank...pull the start clutch cover and see what is doing over there.
Unread
  (#7)
Go Team Venture!!!

August 22, 2006, 09:47 PM

If the bike is in nutral should I be able to put it on the center stand and spin the back wheel? Would that give me some idication of wheather I broke a rod or something? When I checked the oil in it it did not smell like gas so I am not sure it's a hydrolock from fuel. But since it seems to be the clutch that won't move I am leaning towards a plate failure (that and the cheap gears I bought 2 years ago) or a spring broke. Any suggestions on why the clutch would be affected from a hydrolock? That clutch just won't move. I pulled the clutch slave cylender off and it works fine too.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Looks like a bomb went off in my clutch
Unread
  (#8)
Go Team Venture!!!

Looks like a bomb went off in my clutch - September 4, 2006, 08:21 PM

Not the engine but the clutch that siezed. Anyone have an idea what might have caused this? I took apart the clutch and pulled out all the clutch plates. All the plates were fine but as you can see the clutch plate and hub broke along with a part I can't identify yet (you can see it in the pics). Also with all the plates out the Clutch handle is still too stiff to pull back. What might have caused this and what do I need to fix (besides the obvious)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_090306_001.jpg (83.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_090306_002.jpg (71.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_090306_005.jpg (50.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_090306_007.jpg (78.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_090306_009.jpg (74.9 KB, 28 views)

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#9)
Has an idiot exemption

September 4, 2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
Not the engine but the clutch that siezed. Anyone have an idea what might have caused this? I took apart the clutch and pulled out all the clutch plates. All the plates were fine but as you can see the clutch plate and hub broke along with a part I can't identify yet (you can see it in the pics). Also with all the plates out the Clutch handle is still too stiff to pull back. What might have caused this and what do I need to fix (besides the obvious)?
Damn...you don't remember the conversation when I told you that was probably the problem?
Guess you better call again...
Or that it's just old and probably metal fatigue.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#10)
Ballaugh Bridge

September 4, 2006, 08:50 PM

Weird. It looks like the clutch hub turned but the pressure plate didn't. The other broken thing is the alternator chain tensioner. That thing probably got screwed up preventing the pressure plate from turning.

You probably need to bleed the clutch line and breather too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KawasakiZX1193-01Total_148_0.jpg (311.7 KB, 15 views)

Unread
  (#11)
Go Team Venture!!!

September 5, 2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Damn...you don't remember the conversation when I told you that was probably the problem?
Guess you better call again...
Or that it's just old and probably metal fatigue.
Well they say memory is the first to go when you get our age. What were we talking about again.......

I took the clutch apart, bled the clutch, and the handle is still too stiff to change gears (even with the plates off). I think something between the clutch handle and the clutch plate (though I don't think there is much there) is keeping the bike from running. I checked for fuel in the crankcase, but no joy. Clearly this is in the clutch/transmission.
Thanks for your help guys.
Jack

P.S. do either of you have a clutch holder tool I can use to remove the clutch hub with?

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#12)
Go Team Venture!!!

September 5, 2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Weird. It looks like the clutch hub turned but the pressure plate didn't. The other broken thing is the alternator chain tensioner. That thing probably got screwed up preventing the pressure plate from turning.

You probably need to bleed the clutch line and breather too.
Travis,
I looked all over the parts diagram at Kawasaki.com and could not find the alternator chain tensioner. Kawasaki refers to the alternator as a generator but it is not listed there either. Could it be called something else? I hate to think this might be something I can't replace.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#13)
Ballaugh Bridge

September 5, 2006, 05:40 PM

39170-1059 $97.19 from Ron Ayers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crankcase.jpg (70.0 KB, 10 views)

ok stupid question
Unread
  (#14)
Go Team Venture!!!

ok stupid question - September 10, 2006, 06:44 PM

So..I think I figured out how this happend. My slave cylinder does not seem to be working. After I release the clutch handle the slave cyl does not return to a compressed state. Shouldn't it let the pin compress back into the slave cylinder when the clutch handle is released?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#15)
Ballaugh Bridge

September 10, 2006, 07:13 PM

Only if the clutch is fully assembled will the spring tension push back on the rod.