DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 593
2 members and 591 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Question??
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

Question?? - December 1, 2008, 08:47 PM

hey guys,

for starters i have an 02 f4i. i was in a little accident about a month ago and i cant seem to figure out this problem. i low sided on the left side of my bike and it appears that i bent my handle bars, but when i turn the handle bars all the way on both sides the handle hits my gas tank before that metal stopper on the frame does...if you know what im talking about. its really hard to explain but if i bent my handle bars wouldnt they be uneven? i tried adjustthing them but they can only move so much. ive tried looking at everything but i cant seem to find why the handles hit my bike. they are supposed ot be at least 2 inches from the tank. if you guys have f4i's you know what im talkin about. i dont think i bent the forks that shouldnt have to do with my handle bars. help me guys im really lost here. thanks

07 Honda CBR1000RR
02' Honda CBR600F4i - Sold

00' Kawasaki ZX6R - Sold

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 1, 2008, 11:42 PM

did you check to see if the metal stopper is still in place, or the stop metal tabs are still in tact and not bent, my guess is you might have bent the tabs when the bike went down (hence you having more play in the steering)....the only other thing that I could think of is bent forks, but that seems highly unlikely with a small lowside, but you never know, I'm sure some of the other f4i people on here might be able to help, GL!!

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#3)

December 2, 2008, 12:28 AM

the metal stoppers are still in place but whats baffling me is that its even on both sides...my handle bars touch my gas tank on both sides and i was thinking maybe the forks bent outward so the wheel is a little farther away from the bike sorta like those long custom choppers but not that extreme maybe a 1/4inch could have done it my friend has an f4i also and i compared the two and i cant seem to find what the problem is i highly doubt the fork is bent but i really dont know i was going about 40ish when i slid and the bike hit a gaurd rail no damage was done to the frame but my front cowl exploded and i bent my rear rim and destroyed my left rearset but yeah i honestly have no clue like i can usually figure it out ive done everything to the bike myself but this i just dont know if anyone out there can maybe come check it out and see what the major problem is id really appreciate it

07 Honda CBR1000RR

00' Kawasaki ZX6R - Sold

Unread
  (#4)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 2, 2008, 10:04 AM

take your friends f4i and your f4i (assume suspension and major components are the same, stock) and put them next to each other and align the rear tires of both bikes, and this should definitely show you any misalignment (with the naked eye it might be tough, but i think it can be seen) of the front forks, it makes sense that the forks might have bent outwards, 40mph can definitely do some serious damage to a bike.

I saw a bike in dirtyr6's garage the other day and it looked like it had lowsided, highsided, and then run off a cliff, and that was only a 10mph crash, so definitely don't assume any major damage out of the equation (like your front forks), not sure what else you could do, but I'd start with a basic comparison of two identical bikes (yours and one that hasn't been wrecked) and take it from there....GL

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#5)
Nubbs ban yourself!

December 2, 2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waziiiii View Post
the metal stoppers are still in place but whats baffling me is that its even on both sides...my handle bars touch my gas tank on both sides and i was thinking maybe the forks bent outward so the wheel is a little farther away from the bike sorta like those long custom choppers but not that extreme maybe a 1/4inch could have done it my friend has an f4i also and i compared the two and i cant seem to find what the problem is i highly doubt the fork is bent but i really dont know i was going about 40ish when i slid and the bike hit a gaurd rail no damage was done to the frame but my front cowl exploded and i bent my rear rim and destroyed my left rearset but yeah i honestly have no clue like i can usually figure it out ive done everything to the bike myself but this i just dont know if anyone out there can maybe come check it out and see what the major problem is id really appreciate it
If your forks bent that wouldn't change the position of the triples, unless the frame bent at the neck.
The triples are what the clipons relate to with the hole in the bottom and the little tab on the clip ons. You could take the forks completely off and the triples will remain constant.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

December 2, 2008, 11:31 AM

Eyeballing is not sufficient. Take a measurement between the two clipon bar ends. Compare it with the same measurement taken on your friend's f4i. Start checking dimensions of front end components. You can use string tied at each end to check alignments and distances. Also check the lower and upper triple clamps for damage. Check them closely. Is there any binding in the steering head when turned side-to-side or is it smooth like before the accident?

If you can positively rule out damage to the clipons and/or front end, it's time to develop an alternative explanation. In other words, if the clipons have not moved closer to the tank, then maybe the tank has been moved closer to the clipons. Time to think about all the ways this can occur. Time to check the tank mounts, engine mounts, and even the frame itself. It sounds like your bike took a real good beating. I wouldn't be surprised if the frame sustained a catastrophic impact.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#7)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 2, 2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
If your forks bent that wouldn't change the position of the triples, unless the frame bent at the neck.
The triples are what the clipons relate to with the hole in the bottom and the little tab on the clip ons. You could take the forks completely off and the triples will remain constant.
good point...you're a clever one n2... makes sense, ruling out what I had said earlier, but if you do check it, it would make sense to just measure it, like orangeshirtdude said, rather than doing an eyeball scan...let us know if you have anymore questions....n2 will have an answer

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#8)

December 2, 2008, 02:15 PM

you guys are great im just waiting for a decent day so my friend and i can work on this issue. i need a closer look at the whole front end i might be missing something or who knows but i appreciate the help guys ill get back to you as soon as i take a good hard look at everyting and tell you what ive found thanks spyker, orangeshirtdude, and n2 you guys are awesome!

07 Honda CBR1000RR

00' Kawasaki ZX6R - Sold

Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

December 2, 2008, 03:35 PM

i like OSD's idea...especially with a 40mph slide into a guardrail...that's crucial.

I'd definitely take the front end off / apart.

I can sorta relate when my bike rammed into a tree during a low side...lucky for me the clipons were just tweaked....but the front cowel did explode...even bent my damn key.

But some did mention that maybe the forks were twisted inside the triple...or the triple was twisted on the forks....or something like that.

i dunno what the hell my bike was thinking...
Unread
  (#10)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 2, 2008, 03:40 PM

no problem wazi, just let us know if you need any more help/advice/or have any questions, we'll do our best to answer them...keep us posted!!

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#11)

December 5, 2008, 12:25 PM

so i cant believe i didnt notice this from the beginning. my handle bars were bent but the craziest sh** is that they were bent at almost the exact same angle so i didnt think that was a problem till i did what you guys suggested and compared it to my friends f4i and they were bent about 1/2 inch each. so i took everyting off the handle bars like brake res. all switches and all that good stuff and stuck a long rod onto the handle bar and started prying it back to normal. it worked pretty well im sure its not 100% perfectly the way it was but its pretty damn close off by probably less then a mm. im so glad nothign major was bent. just wanted to say tahnks again guys!

07 Honda CBR1000RR

00' Kawasaki ZX6R - Sold

Unread
  (#12)
GET SOME ! ! !

December 5, 2008, 12:35 PM

nice, glad you got it fixed, nice work on the "do it yourself" solution, ride safe!!!

MARRC Cornerworker

Unread
  (#13)
This Ain't My First Time!

December 5, 2008, 12:35 PM

That is weird, you say both were bent exactly the same angle. I have seen/heard weirder things however. Congrats on figuring it out and getting it fixed.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)

December 5, 2008, 09:55 PM

haha yeah thats just weird, but im glad it didnt cost me anything to fix. i'm also really glad that it wasnt anything super huge that would cost me tons to repair...ill be back on the road probably this month all i need is a rear wheel and rearsets that i already ordered. so see you guys around!

07 Honda CBR1000RR

00' Kawasaki ZX6R - Sold