DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
8 members and 519 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, HenryW, MPSniper, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

May 8, 2003, 12:23 PM

I bought a 99 R6 about a year ago and have ridden it for about 3 thousand miles. I replaced the oil and battery when i first got it and it has ridden fine, near as i can tell. Well i needed my chain and sprockets replaced so i bought a 520 conversion kit from parts411.com and took the bike to Blalock in Warrenton to do the workand it is currently at Blalock in Warrenton. I had them replace my chain and sprockets and to give the bike a once over. They just called to let me know the work was done and asked if i wanted the bad news or the bad news regarding the once over. I have a full Hindle exhaust and they said that I need to get a jet kit and air filter needs replacing, plus exhaust gaskets. I need a complete tune up, spark plugs, oil change (which i can do the oil myself - done before) and brakes, espcially the front brake. They also said that i need to replace my steering bearings? The labor alone they said is over 9 hours, then of course plus parts. Is there any of this that I should do on my own or with the assistance of other board members? I figured the brakes should be fairly easy to do, but not sure - i wouldn't even know where to begin with the jet kit and bearings. Any ideas suggestions? I figured I was looking at close to $600 in labor alone. So if i can do some/most/all of this myself, two things will be gained - 1. I will save several hundred dollars, and 2. most importantly, I will learn a lot about my bike.

I appreciate any advice that anyone can offer (I sent PMed Steve since I know he offers maintenance days, but I thought I would throw it out there for everyone else to chime in on).

Thanks,

MIKE - '99 Blue R6
Learn more about me @ www.funyoungcouple.com

"That's what I said, 'Boobie Traps'" - Data - The Goonies
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MrHyd Send a message via AIM to MrHyd Send a message via MSN to MrHyd  
Unread
  (#2)
boxing twins

May 8, 2003, 12:51 PM

Some of the work you need is pretty easy. Some of it I have no idea. Before you start, buy a Service Manual for your bike.

air filter: easy, replace with the spark plugs (you've got to remove the airbox anyway)
spark plugs: easy
oil change: easy
brakes: easy
jet kit: unknown difficulty (remove carb assembly after replacing spark plugs)
steering bearings (been popping wheelies?): unknown difficulty

The jet kit you buy should come with instructions. I'm not a big fan of tuning carbs.

As for the steering bearings, I don't have a clue on how to replace them.

All of my tools are packed up since I'm going to be moving about 15 miles in the very near future, but I can help with the work.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#3)

May 8, 2003, 01:10 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply - I have service manual for the bike, but it is at home and I was trying to remember eveything that I had read and came to about the same conclusion that you just stated - brakes, oil, air filter, plugs should all be fairly simple. I appreciate the offer to help and just might take you up on it. Thanks.

MIKE - '99 Blue R6

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MrHyd Send a message via AIM to MrHyd Send a message via MSN to MrHyd  
Unread
  (#4)
I am a nice guy :)

May 8, 2003, 01:14 PM

Since it needs to be rejetted I suggest the Ivans Jet kit.. Top notch kit right there.

-Leon
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to leon  
Unread
  (#5)
boxing twins

May 8, 2003, 01:18 PM

I'd be glad to help. Just private message me. You'll need an extra pair of hands to remove the gas tank in any case, since I don't think it has a hinge & prop rod.

Leon: How good were the jet kit instructions?

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Unread
  (#6)

May 8, 2003, 01:25 PM

Chris: Hell if I know! lol but I know thats what everyone else buys. My bike is FI so I dont need any of that. I know you have to drill and what not.. so I suggest letting the dealer do that. If you guys get together to do this let me know. I'd like to learn a few things about the brakes.

-Leon
Unread
  (#7)
boxing twins

May 8, 2003, 01:51 PM

I'll keep you posted. Disk brakes are pretty easy. Unbolt the caliper (do one at a time), slide it off the rotor, spread the pads apart with a screwdriver (trust me on this), remove the old pads, insert new pads, slide the caliper back on the rotor, and bolt the caliper back into place (check the torque specs if you've got a torque wrench).

Now why would I have you spread the pads apart? Well, the new pads will be thicker than the old ones, so you've got to move the caliper pistons back into the caliper. It is easiest with the old pads in place. The pistons are rather soft metal, and scuffing them can lead to a brake fluid leak, which is very, very bad.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s

Unread
  (#8)

May 8, 2003, 03:09 PM

I've got a torque wrench.. nothing less than 20ftlbs

-Leon
Unread
  (#9)

May 8, 2003, 03:43 PM

sweet - now all i need to do is get some pads, oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs and 1/2 the work will be done.

MIKE - '99 Blue R6

Unread
  (#10)
Conform & Obey

May 8, 2003, 03:52 PM

im not sure about the jet kit as there are alot of possible settings. but i have seen people replace jets at the track and it only took them about 45 minutes from start to finish.

i ahve replaced head bearings before, and it can be tricky. some off the points to consider are:
1) suspending the bike without a front stand. usually a jack beneath the headers will work. use a rear stand as well
2) getting the races out of the head.
3) getting the races off of the steering stem OR (depending on the type of bearings) getting the bearing off of the sterring stem
4) getting the new races/bearings onto the steering stem without damaging them

The procedure is pretty straight forward, but special tools are usually needed that will help (these can be made pretty easily.)

on my Hurricane, it took me about 8 hours to replace the head bearings, but that was mostly due to my MacGuyverisms. it should normally take no more than 5.

- splyn

Conform and Obey

The cornerstone of my psyche is a searing, unfocused rage.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to splyn  
Unread
  (#11)
boxing twins

May 8, 2003, 10:14 PM

Mike, I really hope you have an alternate vehicle and some garage space!

-- Chris
BMW R1100s

Unread
  (#12)

May 8, 2003, 10:48 PM

Oh yeah, no worries there. I appreciate everyone's input and offer to assist. Once I get the parts I will give a shout out for help.

thanks again - you guys

MIKE - '99 Blue R6

Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

May 9, 2003, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You'll need an extra pair of hands to remove the gas tank in any case, since I don't think it has a hinge & prop rod.
The tank is hinged. You don't need tot ake it all the off, just unbolt the front part, hinge it up and prop it there with wood against the insturment panel.

Carb sync is easy, just make sure you have a real skinny screwdriver. I had to go to the store twice to get one that fit between. The plugs are easy, but a pain in the ass to get to. I did both myself a couple months ago.

Brakes are easy, like a car. Like Haya said. Make sure you push the piston back while the pads are still on. It's a pain to do when you take them out.

Bearings I don't know.

[Edited on 5/9/2003 by Modian]
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)

May 9, 2003, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info Modian - i think I can handle everything but the jet kit and bearings. What all is involved in a tune up other than plugs, oil change, air filter?

MIKE - '99 Blue R6

Unread
  (#15)
Has an idiot exemption

May 10, 2003, 10:45 AM

Valve adjustment and carb sync. Sync the carbs after you install the jet kit.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to