DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 568
1 members and 567 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

March 30, 2003, 05:11 PM

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Banned

April 14, 2003, 03:33 AM

so you click down to shift up in gear and vice versa?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to pip666  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

April 14, 2003, 05:01 AM

yes, that's correct,...

1 up, and 5 down,...

makes it easier/safer to shift 'up' to a higher gear,....

I will never go back to 'standard',...

- Greg

ďTo announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public.Ē -Theodore Roosevelt
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to OneFunR6  
Unread
  (#4)
I am a nice guy :)

April 14, 2003, 10:15 PM

me neither! all praise G-money!!

GP is the way to go.

-Leon
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to leon  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

April 19, 2003, 09:26 AM

Hey Lee where did ya get your shifter???

People sleep peacably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
2004 R1
2002 CBR954RR
2002 CR250R
1991 KX500
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YUSOSLO Send a message via MSN to YUSOSLO  
Unread
  (#6)

April 23, 2003, 10:04 PM

Lee is a pimp

-Leon

[Edited on 4/25/2003 by leon]
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

May 11, 2003, 06:39 PM

I've been thinking a lot about trying this out on my bike. Does anyone have a recommendation on which kit to get? Is there a way to modify the stock shifter to change the pattern? it seems like it wouldn't be that hard. :dunno:

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
Unread
  (#8)

May 12, 2003, 12:52 AM

Kal, I cant recall what your shifter setup looks like.,.. but on my 750 you can just flip the linkage and viola

-Leon
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

May 13, 2003, 12:23 AM

Thanks Leon. Thought I had read that somewhere, so I guess I'll have to look into it.

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
Unread
  (#10)
Signed up for Track Days!

May 13, 2003, 10:17 PM

Quote:
yes, that's correct,...

1 up, and 5 down,...

makes it easier/safer to shift 'up' to a higher gear,....

I will never go back to 'standard',...

- Greg
OneFunR6-Do you know where I can get a kit for an 03? I studied mine 2day and thought it might be a pretty interesting replacement linkage... Thanks!

[Edited on 5/14/2003 by R6R(C)]
Unread
  (#11)
Loves Sporking

June 10, 2003, 10:56 PM

None of you will go ANY faster with a reverse (GP) shift pattern. Yes, I said NONE of you. It feels cool, sure! And the pros make good use of it (not all of them!). One problem for newbies, squids, and all but the best racers... when you blow turn one and you need to slow down with a quick downshift, it won't be as easy. If you're not that good, don't change it! On a positive note, it can allow you to shift up at full lean in a left curve. How many of you are doing that? At racetrack speeds, I'd rather be dragging the toe of my left boot to upshift in a curve, than risk jacking my GSXR up on the shifter as I change gears. Think about what you need to do in a panic situation. First, don't panic. Act fast. Unless you're Miguel, Nicky, Valentino, or another racer we all admire, you need the ability to execute a firm, positive downshift far more than you will ever need to make a firm, positive upshift. Leave it standard! Someone beat you at the track with a GP shift pattern? Guess what, stud... they're just faster than you.

John (CCS # 67)

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#12)

June 10, 2003, 11:07 PM

Quote:
[None of you will go ANY faster with a reverse (GP) shift pattern]
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Ahhhh. Thank you.
After wadding my R6 and just replacing the rear sets, I went with standard...against other advice. But I went with - ""the less variables the better for me" attitude.
I decided that if I was going to go GP - I would do it on all bikes, including street - and I really did not feel like doing that.

I hear a lot of people run standard, probably less than half - but thanks for validating my gut!

Unread
  (#13)
Loves Sporking

June 10, 2003, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Very good point John. However, for me, it feels more natural. I've been riding a standard shift R1 for the past 5 days, logged a number of miles, and I would definitely prefer GP. Again, just my opinion.
It's easy to flip the linkage on my racebike (GSXR). I just worried I'd blow-up my street ride (Aprilia) the first time I forgot what I was riding! Yes, I could forget, very easily, Lee. Sounds like you dig it though. Works for you. I just wanted to prevent riders from thinking they need to switch it to get faster.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#14)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 11, 2003, 12:25 AM

Lucky Honda owners!!! Kool tho.... That may be my next mod to the R6....heard that all I have to do is buy the Sharkskin shift rod and R1 shifter...?
Unread
  (#15)
You meet the nicest

June 15, 2003, 05:31 PM

Quote:
None of you will go ANY faster with a reverse (GP) shift pattern. Yes, I said NONE of you. It feels cool, sure! And the pros make good use of it (not all of them!). One problem for newbies, squids, and all but the best racers... when you blow turn one and you need to slow down with a quick downshift, it won't be as easy. If you're not that good, don't change it! On a positive note, it can allow you to shift up at full lean in a left curve. How many of you are doing that? At racetrack speeds, I'd rather be dragging the toe of my left boot to upshift in a curve, than risk jacking my GSXR up on the shifter as I change gears. Think about what you need to do in a panic situation. First, don't panic. Act fast. Unless you're Miguel, Nicky, Valentino, or another racer we all admire, you need the ability to execute a firm, positive downshift far more than you will ever need to make a firm, positive upshift. Leave it standard! Someone beat you at the track with a GP shift pattern? Guess what, stud... they're just faster than you.

John (CCS # 67)
I gotta disagree with you on that one John.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages IMO. Good quick positive upshifts are important. For example you could be losing a bike length per shift if using the clutch. And never mind getting a false neutral.

Your argument against is based on your approach to overcooked corners. If I get in too hot Iíll blow off one or more downshifts and do them at the exit. The brakes are for slowing down. Downshifts are for getting in the right gear for the drive. I know you know this, but the point is downshifts can upset the bike when leaned over and trail braking in.

As far as sticking your toe under the shifter in a left hander vs. levering the bike with the ,um, shift lever goes; that should never happen. If youíre dragging shift/brake levers or pegs, youíve got set up issues. Get higher rearsets, raise the ride height, stiffen the suspension, etc.

U R right that full left lean upshifts are rare, at least in my experience (Iíve been on 14 race tracks)

Another thing to look at is the right lean upshift. At Summit I was on my buddyís standard shift GSXR 1000. In the exit of turn 1 it was awkward to have to reach my toe under there while hanging off the other side rather than a simple tap of the foot.

YMMV but it really does feel more natural once you (quickly) get used to it, and Iíve never had any problems switching back and forth.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!