DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 587
2 members and 585 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Running hot
Unread
  (#1)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

Running hot - June 28, 2011, 10:21 PM

I have a post on the zx10 forum.Just want some fresh ideas.

Currently got a 04 zx10 from AK full micron exhaust PCIII and filter with custom tune (tuned by shop) had no problems until a few weeks ago when it starting getting hot out...

I was downtown bmore and noticed my baby getting hot @ the lights... got on 695 made my way back no problems nice and cool till i hit a light in eldersburg then it got hot.... its been getting up to 239-240 and blinking @ lights.

Everyone said its running lean...however a bike @ idle should not have any issues seeing as most tunes custom or not all have the same idle since its at idle..which mine does...the other thing i was told was to just add a 2nd fan...which all in all seems like a good idea...i've flushed/burped my system ran water wetter and still no difference...

ive been trying not to ride as much because its hot out and im due for brakes and a front tire anyway...but i need to get the overheating resolved first.

i was thinking possibly the thermostat or water pump.. but the thermostat is a pain in the ass to get to, and my only place to work on the bike is in marriottsville.

im open to all ideas?!?!?1 bike has a little under 11000 oil is fresh and fluids are fresh....
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 28, 2011, 10:32 PM

What process did you use to burp?

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Unread
  (#3)
This Ain't My First Time!

June 28, 2011, 10:43 PM

If it is getting hot when you sit still and goes back to normal when you are riding has to be the thermostat stuck open. Bikes do not have fan clutches so this is the only other possibility. Pop her open and see what the issue is. Could be air in the line, but it seems like you have covered that already.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

June 29, 2011, 09:33 AM

Left cap off...started it let it get warm gave a few revs after that then turned off...i also made sure to squeeze the hoses a bit to make sure there were no air bubbles in there either.

i was having the overheating problem prior to the fluid change.

yesterday i just let it run at idle for a bit it got up to 210...then 212..then back to 210 and stayed there...with no issue..but then again it wasnt under any load or able to get hotter... i think this weekend ill get the bike torn down and check the thermostat out
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

June 29, 2011, 09:05 PM

Got to make sure it's hot enough to open enough the stat when you go to burp. You may just still have a some air in there. A *little* compressed air in the overflow tube on the reservoir can also help.

Unread
  (#6)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

June 30, 2011, 03:11 PM

new thermostat was put on order today..and got a new tire on... ill be tearing it down prob next weekend or so throw the thermostat on there im going to run engine ice as well... i just whish i could find a failry cheap headlight and upper and midfairing
Unread
  (#7)

June 30, 2011, 03:24 PM

All you have to do is go ahead and tear the bike down now. No need to wait. Take out the TS and see if it is stuck open. No need to throw money at a problem when you can tear the bike down and see for certain.

Good luck!

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Last edited by cf3232; June 30, 2011 at 03:26 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

June 30, 2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf3232 View Post
All you have to do is go ahead and tear the bike down now. No need to wait. Take out the TS and see if it is stuck open. No need to throw money at a problem when you can tear the bike down and see for certain.

Good luck!
True...but if its stuck id still need the new part and i dont wanna tie up the garage (currently in a rental with no garage) at my families house...

and i really dont want to tear it down put it back together...then tear down again if that is the problem ....

I wish i never got suckered into this rental but ohwell live and learn....
Unread
  (#9)

June 30, 2011, 06:52 PM

Yes, but what if it is not stuck open, and it opens properly when you put it in the boiling water. Then you just bought a part that you do not need. You are throwing money at a problem.

I understand you have to do what you have to do, but this is what I would do if I had to do it.

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:

Unread
  (#10)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

June 30, 2011, 07:03 PM

I hear yah...but i plan on keeping the bike and its only getting older...spare parts..or actually any parts are hard for me to get and i always have to wait for delivery etc...

Maybe ill say screw the thermostat and buy a new bike!... it depends on how i feel this weekend i might go ahead and ask if i can occupy the garage for a bit to see whats up
Unread
  (#11)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

July 1, 2011, 01:21 PM

Update.... was out today trying to look at how im going to go about making it look legal and what i need to get my streetfighter headlight setup on...and what did i notice?!?!?! a hole in the radiator..So i priced it and everyone wants about 800 for a new one found a couple on ebay waiting for 1 of the guys to get back with me... im going to trailer it up to eldersburg possibly this weekend and start the tear down and fab work.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

July 3, 2011, 10:09 PM

You can also possibly repair the rad. Glad you saved yourself from parts hanging. Surprised you didn't notice steam or puddles, but a pinhole style leak can be tough to spot some times. Nice work.

Unread
  (#13)
What is a chicken strip?

September 2, 2011, 02:49 PM

If you want to rule out the tune just load a stock tune back onto it.....ride it around and see... if it doesnt work you can always load the performance tune back on!

EDIT*** I diddnt see the post about the hole in the radiator! looks like you found the issue!!