DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 252
3 members and 249 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Smoke from pipes
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

Smoke from pipes - April 26, 2007, 04:23 PM

Last fall I got some high temp black spray paint and painted my exhaust. It had a good coat of rust. Now when I start my bike up it smokes. I am pretty sure it's the rust and spray paint that is smoking but I need to get a inspection done. Do you guys think I might pass if I explain it to the inspector?

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
Knarly Adventurer

April 26, 2007, 04:31 PM

What pipes did you paint?
The smoke is coming off the outside?

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Go Team Venture!!!

April 26, 2007, 04:37 PM

Outside. These are the pipes that come from the engine (4) and they merge into one pipe out the back. Where the smoke is coming from is where the 4 pipes merge under the oil pan. I have checked and checked for a oil leak and all is dry. The only thing it could be is the rust from where I took a wire brush and rust remover and then spray painted over it with high temp paint.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#4)
THE PATIENT

April 26, 2007, 08:30 PM

just let it run, and rev and hold or ride, itll stop smoking eventually, or catch fire----be careful
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to 1hander  
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing here

April 27, 2007, 07:26 AM

This sounds like an oil change problem. I know you said it was dry, but did you change the oil and is it possible that just a very little drop or two landed in the crevaces of those pipes? It will smoke for about twenty minutes or more if that's the case. How about smell? Any odor noticed?
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

April 27, 2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hander
just let it run, and rev and hold or ride, itll stop smoking eventually, or catch fire----be careful
HA!

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
Go Team Venture!!!

April 27, 2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
This sounds like an oil change problem. I know you said it was dry, but did you change the oil and is it possible that just a very little drop or two landed in the crevaces of those pipes? It will smoke for about twenty minutes or more if that's the case. How about smell? Any odor noticed?
Nope, I check for that, and even sprayed a cleaner in the crevices and flushed it real good. There is a smell but does not smell like oil. I can't describe the smell other then maybe a plastic burning smell? I have ridden it for about 2 hours now and it still smokes.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#8)
Pleased to meet me

April 27, 2007, 08:53 AM

Does it smoke from several areas? If so, just burn in the paint more.
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

April 27, 2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
Outside. These are the pipes that come from the engine (4) and they merge into one pipe out the back. Where the smoke is coming from is where the 4 pipes merge under the oil pan. I have checked and checked for a oil leak and all is dry. The only thing it could be is the rust from where I took a wire brush and rust remover and then spray painted over it with high temp paint.

Ok, so you painted the header and you're getting smoke from the union. Rust does not burn so this has to be something else. It could be that you have this rust remover (what did you use? Petro-based?) mixed with the scrapings/fines from your wire brushing effort caked in the union, coated with a nice layer of hi-temp paint. Check again for an oil leak. Do you know what burning oil smells like? If not, swab a little tiny bit on a header pipe up near a cylinder and fire up and get a whiff after it starts buring. Then decide if it is the same or different from the other smoke.

After you are pretty sure you don't have one, check again. Don't just look at the pan above the union. Oil moves once it drips onto the exhaust accroding to the force of gravity so look upstream of where the smoke is coming from. Also check to make sure your rear brake system isn't leaking/squirting fluid onto the exhaust. After you do whatever it takes to be 100% certain that you do not have an oil leak that is allowing drops of oil to fall on your exhaust (even as little as just one drop per day), go for a nice long ride this weekend and burn that stuff off. I hope that does the trick.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.