DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
7 members and 549 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

April 21, 2004, 12:13 PM

Aye I'm fairly new to the riding world (about 3 years now)...I'm thinking about changing my spark plugs..is it in any way difficult?...judging from teh manual, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I don't wanna open it up and find out I'm bout to mess some stuff up....I've done a bunch of other routine maintenance, but when it comes to the electrical..I get hesitant...any advice...oh, I have a 2000 Ninja ZX-9R
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kdybread  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

April 21, 2004, 01:04 PM

See SteveZX9 for details. SHouldn't be much different from my ZX6.

1. Shut off the gas, disconnect the gas line from the shut off, remove the tank. Try to use up all the gas in the tank before you do this. I did it with a full tank and it was a heavy bitch to pull off by yourself without scratching up stuff.

2. Remove the air filter and filter box. Replace the filter while you're in there.

All the spark plugs are close to the front of the engine. They can be a real pain in the ass to turn and pull out.

I'm sure someone can give more indepth instructions that this.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

April 21, 2004, 01:36 PM

You don't need to disconnect the tank or remove it. If it's like mine, it's hinged in the back. Just pull it up and prop it with a piece of wood against the instruments.

This reminds me that my air filter is long overdue for replacement.

-Mod
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
boxing twins

April 21, 2004, 02:54 PM

If you haven't already, buy the shop manual for your bike.

Modian covered most of the details. Here are some extras:

1) You'll might need to use the spark plug socket that came with the bike. Some sockets (Craftsman, SnapOn, etc) are too large to fit into the well between the camshafts.

2) Number each of the plugs as you remove them. The plugs give you a good indication of engine wear and problems. The plugs should be a light tan color. http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/_techtalk/00000005.htm

3) Crossfire or multi-tip plugs don't increase power, so save your money.

4) Platinum, or iridium tipped plugs ARE worth the money.

5) K&N air filters have mixed results depending on the bike. My Hayabusa makes alot more intake "honk" noise with a K&N, but no discernable additional power.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 21, 2004, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian
You don't need to disconnect the tank or remove it. If it's like mine, it's hinged in the back. Just pull it up and prop it with a piece of wood against the instruments.

This reminds me that my air filter is long overdue for replacement.

-Mod
Real men don't need hinges.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#6)
Got Any Gwapes?

April 21, 2004, 03:44 PM

Erion Racing found an extra horsepower in going back to the CR9EH-9 in their 600's instead of using the more expensive(yet longer lasting) Iridium plugs. All of the modern Honda sportbikes will take the CR9...got them in mine now. For what it's worth.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

April 21, 2004, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6

Real men don't need hinges.
Real men don't need instructions. Plus if there's a shortcut to something, I'm damn sure going to find it.

-Mod
Unread
  (#8)
boxing twins

April 21, 2004, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929
Erion Racing found an extra horsepower in going back to the CR9EH-9 in their 600's instead of using the more expensive(yet longer lasting) Iridium plugs. All of the modern Honda sportbikes will take the CR9...got them in mine now. For what it's worth.
Dyno margin of error is at least 1 HP if not more.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Unread
  (#9)
Has an idiot exemption

April 21, 2004, 04:37 PM

No hinged tank on a 9 modian.
Follow TJ's instructions.
You'll see the plugs. Just disonnect the small connectors to each coil and lift the plug boots off.
Then use a plug socket to take them out.
Busafiend...you can't get a good reading on a plug unless you do a plug chop. Reading the plugs is to check mixture. You have to know which fuel setting you want to check (idle, mid, full). Very slight diff in plug color. If you can tell a diff something is way off. Easier to tell by how it runs...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#10)
Ummm...yeaaah

April 21, 2004, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusafiend
Quote:
Chris, have a seat you might learn something....

El Zee
CCS MA EX#96
http://www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EL ZEE  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

April 21, 2004, 06:17 PM

I've always used CR9Es. I inspect @ 8000 and usually change @ 12000.

Gap them to spec and dab a little anti sieze compound on them. As fiend said, the factory tool works best. Snug them down and then go 1/4th of a turn. That usually loads the crush washer perfectly. Plugs will only get you HP if you are replacing fouled or bad plugs.
Split fires or other multiple prong plugs are snake oil and potentially bad news.
Unread
  (#12)
Got Any Gwapes?

April 22, 2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Fluctuation is usually based on atmospheric pressure...we can assume a Honda support team can figure that out. They made several runs with and without the iridium plugs...everytime it showed an actual 1.5 horsepower gain...again, we can assume Erion has their shizznit together. I tend to listen when they speak...it's how I learn

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
Unread
  (#13)
boxing twins

April 24, 2004, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKR6
Quote:
Quote:
Chris, have a seat you might learn something....
Damn, LZ, providing the pimp slap.

I am always a skeptic when it comes to HP gains from unlikely sources such as magnetics on the fuel lines, and crossfire sparkplugs.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s

Unread
  (#14)
boxing twins

April 24, 2004, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Fluctuation is usually based on atmospheric pressure...we can assume a Honda support team can figure that out. They made several runs with and without the iridium plugs...everytime it showed an actual 1.5 horsepower gain...again, we can assume Erion has their shizznit together. I tend to listen when they speak...it's how I learn
boomboom929: If several dyno pulls made the exact same HP and torque, then perhaps they've hit something. What I'm interested in is a scientific explanation of why. Oh, by the way, if they changed the tires, they'd change the HP output (namely due to reduced reciprocating weight). Refer to the latest Sport Rider.

Steve: Thanks for the add'l info. See Leon, I can learn new stuff.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s

Unread
  (#15)
Got Any Gwapes?

April 25, 2004, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
boomboom929: If several dyno pulls made the exact same HP and torque, then perhaps they've hit something. What I'm interested in is a scientific explanation of why. Oh, by the way, if they changed the tires, they'd change the HP output (namely due to reduced reciprocating weight). Refer to the latest Sport Rider.

Steve: Thanks for the add'l info. See Leon, I can learn new stuff.
Chris, knowing them...they kept everything constant. I know little or nothing about the iridium...I assume it's some kind of coating, possibly meant to stretch the life of the plug. The new iridium equivalent of the older, standard Honda plug retails for close to $25 as opposed to the older NGK CR9EH-9 costing $6. They stumbled across the readings while testing some other things...needless to say, it got their attention. I can only assume that if the iridium is a coating ( I know nothing of it either way) it may add longevity while sacrificing imeediate performance. I viewed it as a cost saving way to add performance. The CR9EH-9 has been the standard NGK plug on all of the modern CBR's til now. Easily available, less expensive. Kinda seemd like a win/win nobrainer when they told me...

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*