DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 527
8 members and 519 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, HenryW, MPSniper, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 17, 2004, 03:01 PM

This afternoon I ran out of fuel (Don't ask, broken gauge). I went and filled up the tank but now when I try to put my bike in gear and start off my bike will loose power and stall. Could this be some sort of vapor lock? It ran fine coming home this morning?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
boxing twins

July 17, 2004, 03:20 PM

I don't know what bike you ride so, two thoughts:

1) Running completely out of fuel drew debris from the gas tank into the carb/fuel injection rail or injectors themselves. If the engine will idle and rev normally in neutral on the sidestand, read #2.

2) Most modern bikes have multiple run/kill safety switches. If the sidestand is down, the bike must be in neutral to start. I suspect your sidestand switch is either sticking (from chain lube coming off the front sprocket), disconnected (check the wiring to the switch), or broken.

Refer to your service manual for troubleshooting the switch.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#3)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 17, 2004, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the quick response, it's a 1990 Kawasaki ZX10. It will idle fine but if I try to rev the trottle it will die or come close to it. I am sure it's not the sidestand switch as I checked that.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#4)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 17, 2004, 05:32 PM

Ok so this sux. I went out to do a bit of trouble shooting and she starts right up no problems. I even drove around a bit with no problems at all. Could I have flooded it this morning trying to start it after running out of gas?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 17, 2004, 08:52 PM

I have actually worked on a few ZX10s. They were 86-87 models though.

Idles ok but dies when you give it gas. if you ran the tank bone dry.. as Hayabusafiend said, you prob pulled sludge from the bottom of the tank and it's no clogging your petcock screen. Take the tank off, removed the petcock and examine the screen. The bike is 14 years old. It's never a bad idea to CREEM the tank. Go to your local bike shop and get some rust remover and neutralizer.

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 18, 2004, 07:54 AM

It's been creemed already. I had to buy a new tank earlier this summer due to rust in the old tank. When I got the new one (Used from a junk yard) I did the cream resurfacing. I don't think there was any junk on the bottom of the tank. Regardless it seems to be running well now. Maybe I had air in the fuel line?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!