DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 557
7 members and 550 guests
beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

May 27, 2004, 11:43 PM

While checking over my bike I noticed the tell-tale knock when pressing the front brake and rocking the bike foreward.

I finally bought the spanner that yamaha requires (I've previously used a less than scientific method) to adjust the head nut.

Before I get into too many details I wanna know one thing: Do you lift the front wheel off of the ground to make the adjustments or do you leave it planted?

The reason I ask is becasue I've had two very different results from having it lifted versus the ground.

R1myers post up!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 28, 2004, 07:06 AM

I have always adjusted them with the bike's wheels on the ground. I haven't ever had a problem with them wearing prematurely nor have I had any 'weird" issues afterwards.
Perhaps Steve or R1myers could shed more light. Hopefully, I haven't been doing it wrong.
Unread
  (#3)
Meh

May 28, 2004, 01:07 PM

You can do it eitherway. Doesn't really matter. The only benefit to being up in the air is you can tell by the drag in the bearings if you are getting them too tight.
Unread
  (#4)
125cc weedwacker

May 28, 2004, 01:14 PM

I've done mine in the air. Some manuals actually have you use a scale, kinda of like a hanging portable fish scale and use it to determine the amount of lbs needed to pull the bars in either direction. I did this on my R6 like the manual said. Although I didnt use the scale, I set mine up with a very light amount of drag. Never had another problem with it after that.
Unread
  (#5)
Knee Draggin!

May 28, 2004, 03:29 PM

BlackHatch, BBR6, and Twiggy are right, Travis. I've alway done mine on the ground and no issues yet, but if you have it in the air its easy to see the amount of drag you have by tightening. Just make sure that your top nut is loose while torqueing(sp?) it. Should only be 13-18 ft.lbs. Steve told me that if you have it off the ground that your wheel should turn and fall pretty much on its own. If you need anymore help, just let me know and I'll start charging $64 an hour. You still live at the same address? Seriously, if you need help, just call.