DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
1 members and 528 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Fuzz Runna

August 4, 2003, 10:12 AM

Alright, need some help fast..no, not for my bike, for Wheel's SVS. The front right motor mount is stripped out, the one with the right side frame slider. :mad2: I need to know if anyone has the tools and/or experience in re-tapping motor mount threads.

PLEASE POST UP!! Thanks in advance!

Sometimes in order to live, you must first be willing to die....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ND4SPD Send a message via AIM to ND4SPD  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

August 4, 2003, 10:18 AM

i guess dropping your bike at a twt strips the thread
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to drdoom Send a message via AIM to drdoom  
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

August 4, 2003, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Clearly it has nothing to do with that I'm definitely taking it to the shop

WHEELS
All life is an experiment
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Wheels Send a message via MSN to Wheels  
Unread
  (#4)
God of the Gaps

August 4, 2003, 10:33 AM

You've got more than one engine mount. Just consider the broken one the "spare" and try not to break another one.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Fuzz Runna

August 4, 2003, 10:40 AM

well, it's not a huge deal, just need the tools to repair it..maybe 30-45 min fix....

girl, chill...we can fix it a lot quicker and cheaper than a shop

[Edited on 4/8/2003 by ND4SPD]

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ND4SPD Send a message via AIM to ND4SPD  
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

August 4, 2003, 10:47 AM

re-tapping aluminum is a bad idea, go with heli-coils, i had a problem with a frame slider that stripped the frame on my bike tried to re tap and aluminum just turned to butter, the coils will hold up much better and you can get em at any auto store/hardware store.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
Fuzz Runna

August 4, 2003, 10:51 AM

Quote:
re-tapping aluminum is a bad idea, go with heli-coils, i had a problem with a frame slider that stripped the frame on my bike tried to re tap and aluminum just turned to butter, the coils will hold up much better and you can get em at any auto store/hardware store.
are you familiar with how to do/complete this process?? If so, please let me know so we can maybe get it done this week some time. Oh, and it's the motor that is stripped, not the frame. Using heli-coils (no clue what the hell that is), will it allow you to use the same bolt? or will it need to be resized. Thanks for your help!

Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

August 4, 2003, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I'd make the guy that mounted the sliders without the proper Torque Values(they are freaking motor mounts after all) and lube pay for half of the repair :mad2:

I agree with zx6rfool, the helecoils are a lot stronger than just re-tapping the hole with a larger diameter thread. The Helecoils come in kits and are pretty easy to install...

After all, the Military specifies using Helecoils in place of taping aluminum

Give CAD cycles a ring...

Tifosi
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Fuzz Runna

August 4, 2003, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'd make the guy that mounted the sliders without the proper Torque Values(they are freaking motor mounts after all) and lube pay for half of the repair :mad2:

I agree with zx6rfool, the helecoils are a lot stronger than just re-tapping the hole with a larger diameter thread. The Helecoils come in kits and are pretty easy to install...

After all, the Military specifies using Helecoils in place of taping aluminum

Give CAD cycles a ring...

Tifosi
I put the sliders on...and they weren't torqued that tight, even without a torque wrench...and lube for what? I did put lock-tight on......

Unread
  (#10)
125cc weedwacker

August 4, 2003, 11:52 AM

More than likely, they are going to have to drop the engine in order to helicoil it. When you helicoil something, you have to drill the hole a larger size, tap it, then install the helicoil. Usually helicoil kilts have all the pieces necessary to do the job. Take it to a shop.

1998 Honda RS125 -Living room show piece
Unread
  (#11)
Knee Draggin!

August 4, 2003, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I put the sliders on...and they weren't torqued that tight, even without a torque wrench...and lube for what? I did put lock-tight on......
Bottom line is, her mounts are stripped due to your handiwork. Directions, Shop Manuals, and Torque wrenches are made for a reason

Also, loctite has many different applications (bonding, gasketing, thread locking, thread sealing, etc.), so picking any ol' package off of the shelf doesn't cut it...

Tifosi
Unread
  (#12)
Fuzz Runna

August 4, 2003, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bottom line is, her mounts are stripped due to your handiwork. Directions, Shop Manuals, and Torque wrenches are made for a reason

Also, loctite has many different applications (bonding, gasketing, thread locking, thread sealing, etc.), so picking any ol' package off of the shelf doesn't cut it...

Tifosi
So, you're saying you use a shop manual to put on frame sliders?
And it was thread lock lock-tight....get all the facts before you talk out yo a$$

it was not over-tightened, I've put on/taken off plenty of aluminum treaded bolts/mounts, and know what would be too tight....

why don't you attempt to say something to assist in repairs as opposed to just talking $hit man...come on now, we all have a common end goal- to get her bike fixed, so that is what this thread is for... not flaming- thanks

[Edited on 4/8/2003 by ND4SPD]

Unread
  (#13)
Fuzz Runna

August 4, 2003, 12:33 PM

how's that Woody ?

Unread
  (#14)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 4, 2003, 12:37 PM

Brandon, if it wasn't over-tightened, what happened? I have an SV and don't want to end up with the same problem. Is there something tricky about the way that the engine mount bolts are installed?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#15)
Knee Draggin!

August 4, 2003, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't use lock-tite with aluminum, only cast iron. That could be the reason the threads are gone.

Anyway, re-tap the stripped threads and use a helicoil and tighten the motor mount.
Tight is tight and too tight is broke. Make sure you use a helicoil though, otherwise it will just strip again. Hope that is some help