DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 636
1 members and 635 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Retired to most ...

January 19, 2006, 11:14 AM

Aight peoples here is my issue:

I ride a CBR 954RR and I want to redo the entire suspension but I'm running into an issue. I started off by dialing in the best suspension settings for my weight/riding style and general use of my bike. I want more!!

I thought I found a good company in Michigan to send my front forks to and have them rebuilt for performance use but still be useable on the street. They specialized in working on Honda's and more importnatly Fire Blades. I'm guessing Michigan didn't have the kind of market to support that kind of shop because they are now out of business.

Here's the questions (keep in mind I want this done right and I don't mind paying a little more for good work and sound advice):

1)Is there a recommended after market rear shock I should be looking at? If so why? Benifits? Drawbacks? Limits?

2)I've long since been told the 954 front forks are the best to use to begin with. I've seen them used on 600RR rebuilds and some shall we say frankenstine (lots of different bikes in one)bikes. Can the 954 forks be upgraded or are there aftermarket forks I should be looking at that would work better? If so why? Benifits? Drawbacks? Limits?

3)I would rather have someone help (I'm willing to pay or barter system )me do this who knows exactly what they are doing so I can be side by side with them and learn to do this myself but since I doubt that is going to an option are there any recommended shops in the Virginia/DC Metro/Maryland area that you all have used and you know do top quality work at a decent price? For some reason any shop I have talked to doesn't seem real sure what would be good upgrades or they don't seem to want to work on a 954RR.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to some good conversation on this matter as I want to complete this project by mid season this year!!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

January 19, 2006, 11:20 AM

I will help with #1 and 2.

1.) Penske, Ohlins, Hagon... you name it theres a bunch of choices.... what it comes down to, how deeps your pocket. You can also have you stock shock rebuilt, valved, and sprung if ness.

2.) Upgrade Valves, and springs... and Traxxion, RaceTech, Sonic Spring, you've got choices....

I personally had my GSXR1k front end and Rear Shock done by an SV Performance shop, and used all RaceTech internals along with the shops machining and polishing of internals, and some fancy DLC coating, anodizing, Powdercoating....but for the most part, those were options I chose, not ness.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

January 19, 2006, 11:24 AM

Thermosman or Traxxion Dynamics.

Did I not say this to you before?

Rear shock...penske and be done with it. A twin clicker should be all you need for a long time to come. (And you can always have it upgraded to a triple clicker later when you have it serviced. Actually cheaper that way.)

Don't try and do the forks yourself. Very easy to screw them up. I've ridden on forks that were done badly...it sucked.

You can have all of this done in about 2 weeks pretty easily. Call Steve Long at SPeedWerks...tell him your nike and weight. He can have a penske to you in no time. Pull your forks, ship them to Traxxion or Thermosman. This time of year you can probably have them back in 10 days. Wait much longer...and the turnaround time will increase significantly.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

January 19, 2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg
Pull your forks, ship them to Traxxion or Thermosman. This time of year you can probably have them back in 10 days. Wait much longer...and the turnaround time will increase significantly.
Buy a gun case to ship them in too.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
( * )|( * )

January 19, 2006, 11:29 AM

Jay (boomboob929) would be a good person to get in touch with if you need any help. He also has a 954 and knows quite a bit about working on bikes.

Good luck with your project!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
I'm a Realtor in VA

January 19, 2006, 11:29 AM

Dude:

Try Traxxion dynamics, google em.

I have had good luck with both Penski and Ohlins for rear shocks. Buy the penski it is cheaper, you can call penski directly and get them to set the spring to your weight. CAUTION...be very sure of your weight with gear a softer spring for the street is better than a stiffer one, and it seems that is where you will ride most.

Traxxion can revalve and respring your forks. This is the cheaper option. You could buy Ohlins road and track forks for major money.

Ask your self this question though, will the cost equal better performance for me?

If you do forks and shock form Ohlins you could be loooking at 6 thousand dollars.

A shock would be 700 to 1000. Re build your 954 forks 500.

How long are you going to keep your 954. I bet a 2006 cbr100rr handles better than your 954. If you sell your bike I bet your looking at a total investment of a few thousand and will achive all your goals, better handleing and more power, increased squid factor.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#7)
noise

January 19, 2006, 11:30 AM

Great thread Johnny, me listening in on this too

MudDawg, what do you mean when you say, "tell him your nike and weight"?
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

January 19, 2006, 11:30 AM

For the forks, I suggest you go to .com, PM r6_philly or contact him though his website www.dafanz.com. He is in the area and comes to Summit through out the season, so he would be able to help you setup and or adjust the suspension settings, he offered me a great price that I plan on taking him up on before the season starts. He works with GP suspension.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#9)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

January 19, 2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600K2
Great thread Johnny, me listening in on this too

MudDawg, what do you mean when you say, "tell him your nike and weight"?
It means I need more sleep. 12+ hour days for 4 months kinda leaves me bleary eyed.

Besides...how could you mistake what I mean. OF COURSE I mean he needs to have good sneakers....since he'll be walking while his bike is in the shop.

Bike & weight of rider are needed to correctly pick the spring rate for a shock. Otherwise you could have too soft a spring...meaning you'd have to tighten it down too much to get the correct static sag. Too much tightening will lead to worse performance.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#10)
noise

January 19, 2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg

Besides...how could you mistake what I mean. OF COURSE I mean he needs to have good sneakers....since he'll be walking while his bike is in the shop.

Bike & weight of rider are needed to correctly pick the spring rate for a shock. Otherwise you could have too soft a spring...meaning you'd have to tighten it down too much to get the correct static sag. Too much tightening will lead to worse performance.

and thanks!
Unread
  (#11)
Retired to most ...

January 20, 2006, 07:08 AM

Information over load ......

Ok looks like I got some calls to make and some peoples to see. I'll keep updating this thread as I start the project.

Thanks for all the advice guys and keep it coming!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#12)
Trackaholic

January 24, 2006, 03:24 PM

For suspension it depends on how long do you plan on riding this bike and how much you need. You can get the rear showa rebuilt for $200-300 bucks and a good front rebuild and stay under $1,000 total. For street duty and limited track that would be just fine. I have seen some guys racing on the rebuilt showa and doing well. If you are getting into the track then the skys the limit. Ohlins and Penske shocks are top notch and for them I would say call Jon at CTR suspension or Mike/ Thermosman. Penske shocks allow you to have them rebuilt to move to a new bike so I would go that route to save a few bucks in the long run. Jon did my 05 with Penske all the way around and Mike did my 01 with Ohlins both have been awesome and they have been great for support.