DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
5 members and 555 guests
BlackHatch, nootherids, Slider, superchickencornermonster, tuanogus
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

June 16, 2005, 01:17 PM

Since a lot of you guys are in to racing as i am too, why there are no tips regarding fine tuning of the bikes suspension?Oils for example brands that are good like Motul / ipone/ motorex. gearing what should be the best gearing ratio for track. and most important the best tire and pressure standard air or some other type of gas like nitrogen.And on exhaust additions would you go for akrapovice or for the yoshimura? things that are importand Brakes??????????? what would stop me at the best distance.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

June 16, 2005, 01:54 PM

since you posted in Kawasaki, Im assuming youre riding a kawi? is that the bike your racing?

more info!

as for the brakes reference, I have galfer lines and ebc brake pads on my stock tokicos(sp?) when I breathe on the brake lever I stop.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

June 16, 2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave
since you posted in Kawasaki, Im assuming youre riding a kawi? is that the bike your racing?

more info!

as for the brakes reference, I have galfer lines and ebc brake pads on my stock tokicos(sp?) when I breathe on the brake lever I stop.
Yes i am riding a ZX12R.
Unread
  (#4)
Happiness Consultant

June 16, 2005, 04:42 PM

ok do u have a specific question you want to ask?

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

June 17, 2005, 05:26 AM

Quote:
ok do u have a specific question you want to ask?
if you are familiar with the 12 then what should be the best tuning of the suspension to do. i did try a specific set up from MAXTON UK i was not that happy.But this guys sugest to change the oil of the forks too to a thicker one than the factory so it gives more resistans. the rear suspension when you really push it, it heats up and then you lose the rear end of the bike. do you have any good ideas???
Unread
  (#6)
Happiness Consultant

June 17, 2005, 09:22 AM

moving this thread to Test and Tune so that the more experienced and knowledgeable mechanics and riders/racers can see it.

I honestly can't answer your question and it is quite a multi-faceted one considering suspension setup IMHO is one determined by rider feel. Even if I was familiar with a ZX-12 (which I am not) my setup and preference may be the exact opposite then what you like.

you might want to let us know why you weren't happy with on the Maxton UK setup. right now, I know nothing of your riding preference or what type of roads you ride. You also mentioned racing, do you race? or are u just 'into it'?

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 17, 2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST
Since a lot of you guys are in to racing as i am too, why there are no tips regarding fine tuning of the bikes suspension?
If you are in to racing, you must have some tips, so quit complaining and post some. Fine tuning suspension is an art. It is bike, rider, and even track specific. Are you having problems? What kinds? Maybe someone could help if you tell them what problems you are having.

Quote:
Oils for example brands that are good like Motul / ipone/ motorex.
I'm not a racer but I typically use Motul, although I never seem to find the exact same type. 5100, 300V and some others have worked well for me. I've even used Honda full synthetic in my Suzukis.

Quote:
gearing what should be the best gearing ratio for truck.
I don't know much about trucks.

For bikes, it is pretty bike and track specific from what I gather. I typically hear about going 2 up in the rear, but then again, I am typically reading about stuff for my bikes. Don't know what kind of racing you are in to, and where you race. Don't know a damn thing about he ZX-12 other than that is a hell of a lot of bike, and couldn't begin to tell you what kind of gearing to use. Are you running out of gear? Are you not even close to redlining 6th? Do you lack drive out of certain crucial corners?

Quote:
and most important the best tire and pressure standard air or some other type of gas like nitrogen.
Best tire? I hear great things about Pirelli Supercorsas, and like mine. I've heard good things about Pilot Power Races, and liked them when I ran them. I like the SupercorsaDepends the best. Pressures that I've been told to run range from 26 in the rear (Pilot Power Race) to 29/30 for others. I've only recently heard about the benefits of running nitrogen (less heat expansion), so you probably know more than me, so enlighten us please.

Quote:
And on exhaust additions would you go for akrapovice or for the yoshimura?
I know little of tuning, but I would imagine that it depends on the bike, and other mods. There is no touchstone.

Quote:
things that are importand Brakes??????????? what would stop me at the best distance.
Are you asking about brake lines? I've heard that the Galfer Superbike Lines are phenomenal. Are you asking about calipers? master cylinders? pads? Always seem to hear good things about Brembos for calipers/master cylinders. Pads differ dramatically and depend a lot on personal preference (i.e., initial bite, progressiveness, feel, resistance to fading) I have heard that Vesrah race compounds are great, but again, I am not even certain that there aren't more than one race compound.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

June 17, 2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
moving this thread to Test and Tune so that the more experienced and knowledgeable mechanics and riders/racers can see it.

I honestly can't answer your question and it is quite a multi-faceted one considering suspension setup IMHO is one determined by rider feel. Even if I was familiar with a ZX-12 (which I am not) my setup and preference may be the exact opposite then what you like.

you might want to let us know why you weren't happy with on the Maxton UK setup. right now, I know nothing of your riding preference or what type of roads you ride. You also mentioned racing, do you race? or are u just 'into it'?
it was a great idea that you moved the post. well lets see if some more experienced mechanic could help a give a few tips.
Unread
  (#9)
Got my Permit

June 17, 2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
Quote:
Since a lot of you guys are in to racing as i am too, why there are no tips regarding fine tuning of the bikes suspension?
If you are in to racing, you must have some tips, so quit complaining and post some. Fine tuning suspension is an art. It is bike, rider, and even track specific. Are you having problems? What kinds? Maybe someone could help if you tell them what problems you are having.

Quote:
Oils for example brands that are good like Motul / ipone/ motorex.
I'm not a racer but I typically use Motul, although I never seem to find the exact same type. 5100, 300V and some others have worked well for me. I've even used Honda full synthetic in my Suzukis.

Quote:
gearing what should be the best gearing ratio for truck.
I don't know much about trucks.

For bikes, it is pretty bike and track specific from what I gather. I typically hear about going 2 up in the rear, but then again, I am typically reading about stuff for my bikes. Don't know what kind of racing you are in to, and where you race. Don't know a damn thing about he ZX-12 other than that is a hell of a lot of bike, and couldn't begin to tell you what kind of gearing to use. Are you running out of gear? Are you not even close to redlining 6th? Do you lack drive out of certain crucial corners?

Quote:
and most important the best tire and pressure standard air or some other type of gas like nitrogen.
Best tire? I hear great things about Pirelli Supercorsas, and like mine. I've heard good things about Pilot Power Races, and liked them when I ran them. I like the SupercorsaDepends the best. Pressures that I've been told to run range from 26 in the rear (Pilot Power Race) to 29/30 for others. I've only recently heard about the benefits of running nitrogen (less heat expansion), so you probably know more than me, so enlighten us please.

Quote:
And on exhaust additions would you go for akrapovice or for the yoshimura?
I know little of tuning, but I would imagine that it depends on the bike, and other mods. There is no touchstone.

Quote:
things that are importand Brakes??????????? what would stop me at the best distance.
Are you asking about brake lines? I've heard that the Galfer Superbike Lines are phenomenal. Are you asking about calipers? master cylinders? pads? Always seem to hear good things about Brembos for calipers/master cylinders. Pads differ dramatically and depend a lot on personal preference (i.e., initial bite, progressiveness, feel, resistance to fading) I have heard that Vesrah race compounds are great, but again, I am not even certain that there aren't more than one race compound.
on the oil thing i use the Ipone katana 10/50 100% synthetic. The bike gets a 6th gear cut out at 310-320 KMh. Now exhaust wise Muzzy and Yoshimura you have to add a powercomander because the engine doesnt run well at low rpm and when cold. so if you really want the max out of it you need the akrapovice. Now the brake ideas that you said they are just fine i like the 6 pin tokikos they are allright and the EBC HH pads work great, i use HEL brakelines for now.for a lots of millage to go i sugest the michelin pilot. nice starts 1/4 mile i would say michelin pilot but for handling and grip and change them after a few weeks i would go for rensport metzeler , pirelli supercorsa diablo is nice too. suspension which i am still in to the what should i do. i dont know yet but i ll figure it out.Nitrogen VS regular air it depends how much you push your tires but but you have to know one thing, it will give about 10 - 20 % more life to your tire more milles to cover and less heat / pressure to go up so its safer too.
Unread
  (#10)
Happiness Consultant

June 17, 2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
it was a great idea that you moved the post. well lets see if some more experienced mechanic could help a give a few tips.
I really don't think any of them will help unless you specify in detail what you're really looking for.

right now you're just saying: "Hi, help me with suspension, I ride a ZX-12R"

you have to give to get, man.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#11)
Has an idiot exemption

June 17, 2005, 12:51 PM

Damn...where do I start?

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#12)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 17, 2005, 02:51 PM

I have an idea. 1 question, one post. Then I may feel inclined to provide some insight if I have any.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#13)
Has an idiot exemption

June 17, 2005, 02:53 PM

Say it again Travis! LOL

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#14)
Has an idiot exemption

June 17, 2005, 02:54 PM

Damn...you deleted that extra post fast!

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#15)
Happiness Consultant

June 17, 2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Damn...you deleted that extra post fast!
that was me

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this