DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 491
3 members and 488 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

October 4, 2005, 09:21 PM

I have 17k miles on my ZX6 RR, the suspension started having a "pogo stick" effect. I had the fork and shock oil changed and new seals installed. I am ~195 pounds and had never adjusted the suspension. I added some preload on the front, this has helped it does not dive so much when braking. I will also tune the dampening and rebound now. For my weight do I need to worry about adjusting the rear preload for my first track days? If anyone has similar weight and rides RR or familiar with RR recommendations would be appreciated for specific settings that have worked well for them. As rear preload is not easily adjustable on most bikes does this mean it is not a critical as the other settings? Should I stick with similar settings for street and track or should track generally be much stiffer than street?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

October 4, 2005, 09:27 PM

The rear preload is as critical. The first step to setting your suspension is setting the preload. The amount the bike sinks when you sit on it is called sag. Ideally, sag should be about one inch to 1.5 inches. If you don't set your sag correctly, everything else will be off.
Have someone with a tape measure or yard stick help you set your sag. Secondly, don't bounce when you sit. Just sit as you normally would.

I have no experience in track days but would deduce that street settings would be fine for your first time out.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

October 4, 2005, 09:31 PM

do you measure in the middle of bike? Is there more to setting rear preload then loosening upper ring and lowering the lower ring desired amount? What is tool called to adjust the rings that the spring meets?
sorry such a novice
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
whoa preppy......

October 4, 2005, 09:41 PM

measure from something that doesn't move when your suspension compresses. Your fairing, tail light, bottom of your tag...

I haven't seen a ZX6RR shock. It probably is the collar. Loosen one and thread it down a half inch or so to give you some room to play around...and then loosen the other.
@ 195, you are on the heavy side for a stock shock. You may have to go down a ways to meet the sag requirement.

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
Unread
  (#5)
whoa preppy......

October 4, 2005, 09:43 PM

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...ings/#kawasaki

look and see what sportrider had their ZedX6RR at. Everyone rides differently, and different tracks would have different settings.. but this might give you a baseline.