DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 489
5 members and 484 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6, dubplaya, TNT
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
SV650 Clutch Problem?
Unread
  (#1)
Stay Tru

SV650 Clutch Problem? - December 13, 2007, 03:55 AM

Hey I dont know if any sv riders have experienced this.. maybe someone can put in some input. I bought an 03 sv650 about 2 weeks ago. It ran fine. Just today when i was on the highway it seemed to struggle once I hit around 55mph like it had a speed limiter or something. I would turn the throttle but the bike would not accelerate normally, the rpm would just rev up. As I rode it some more the max speed it would reach kept falling until I couldnt get it to go past around 30mph. Everything else is fine. The bike only has 3700 miles, its maintaining good temp, it has enough clean oil, hasnt been laid down going more than 5mph. I can still switch gears normally. The bike doesnt make any weird noises or anything. My first thought is the clutch is not engaging. Any ideas?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 13, 2007, 07:18 AM

First thing to try- Turn in the adjuster on the clutch perch to put some slack in the cable.

Next or if there is already plently of slack, remove plastic cover on the left side. Loosen the 10mm nut on the clutch mechanism and use a screwdriver to loosen the thing in the middle of it. Then turn it to tighten it again but stop as soon as you feel the least bit of resistance. Re-tighten the nut without turning the thing in the middle.

If that doesn't fix it, then your clutch is glazed or burned up. De-glaze or replace.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#3)
unapologetic

December 13, 2007, 08:09 AM

what SV said first. Also check the clutch springs. Last year I had an issue with my clutch we found that even though the plates were still in good condition and the cable was adjusted properly, the springs were compressed and not working properly, causing it to feel like it was "spinning up" and not going anywhere. After removing them from the SV, Fairfax compared them to new ones and found them VISIBLY shorter by about an 1/8 of an inch.

after that we carried extra clutch springs with us everywhere we went.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#4)
Live or just exist

February 29, 2008, 09:09 AM

too much heat hurts the clutch springs, holding the clutch in at lights when hot, drag racing, clutching wheelies, stress the clutch and heat it up. replace the whole clutch if u are doing the springs.
Unread
  (#5)
B
It goes to 11.

February 29, 2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
after that we carried extra clutch springs with us everywhere we went.
It's true... I've actually seen him pull clutch springs out at Neds in Herndon and do bar tricks.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#6)
540 Boyz Stunt Team Rider

March 30, 2008, 01:17 PM

yeah, from what I gathered he most likely overheated his clutch anyway (even if it was just out of adjustment its probably too late now) its most likely new clutch time
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to