DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 234
1 members and 233 guests
MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

October 31, 2005, 03:42 PM

This winter I plan on upgrading my suspension to better suit the bike for aggressive road riding and track days. I have been able to source a Ohlins rear shock for my bike from kneedraggers for just over $550. So question 1 is: How will this shock come setup, will the valving and spring rate be a made to order type of thing, or will it come as is for me to figure out on my own?

Question 2: I would also like to upgrade my forks at the same time, what is the best approach to this with a strong emphasis on saving $, ie. The traxxion dynamics cartridge kit ($1000) is not an option. Iíve looked at the RT gold valves, new springs, oil, seals. Iím not oppose to doing the internal work myself, however if I can send the forks off to get done cheep, or find a local spot who is experienced with properly setting up a suspension for a given rider.

Fill this thread up, Iím looking for opinions and info, Ill disregard what I donít need and weigh what I feel is best. Hoping to solicit responses from those in the know, and those whom have done upgrades. Please feel free to tell me what you have had done and how you feel about your investment.

Thanks!

For reference my bike is listed in my sig.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 31, 2005, 05:26 PM

I don't know about the Ohlins coming setup for your weight. You'll have to ask Kneedraggers about that. I've ordered Penskes through DynamoHumm and Street and Competition and I asked that they be set with the proper spring and valving to suit my weight and intended use.

For the front, springs, gold valves and new oil will be fine. That's all I've done to my unadjustable-except-for-preload forks on the SV. It's all very simple to install and adjusting it to suit your weight is even easier.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

November 1, 2005, 08:19 AM

Thanks Travis! Bump back on the first page. Wanna make this a discussion/open forum.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#4)
Retired to most ...

November 1, 2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool
Thanks Travis! Bump back on the first page. Wanna make this a discussion/open forum.
Get with Nate (Nudist) on this one. I went over a lot of this same thing with him concerning my bike and he knew a lot about it. I think he has also done a good amount to his SV as far as suspension but if not I know hes done the home work on it. PM him.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

November 1, 2005, 11:06 AM

1. Your bike probably has an internal cartridge fork. That means it's much more difficult to modify that the SV650 that Nate has. (His is easy...I've done several sets of forks on my SV's....the are Damper rod types.)

2. If you do one end of a bike....you should do both. Otherwise it can actually handle worse. Been there done that...I can confirm this bit of information.

3. Spend the money. it makes a difference.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg