DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 455
4 members and 451 guests
2blueyam, Diggy, dubplaya, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Happiness Consultant

March 4, 2005, 12:56 AM

background: I switched out my stock tires for Dunlop 208 GPs last year before my first Track Day (Cornerspeed May 04). When I changed out my tires, I had asked for mine back.... however I didnt get the right ones back.

I basically got some very unused tires. They've been sitting in my garage now since June and I was wondering if they'd be worthy of selling. I ask this mainly because I know nothing of tire degradation whilst sitting in a garage.

so let the discussion commence....

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 4, 2005, 08:52 AM

Good question and I know as much as you do. Nil. I do remember when I bought my Gsxr1000 and the guy that had the bike originally gave me a set of tires. (Michelin Pilots) After my first season on the bike, I changed the rear tire. I still have the front tire hanging on the wall in the basement. The rear tire was still on the back of the bike until this year when it was time to change it out. I had to change it due to a nail I found in the tire. As far a degrading, I think it would be based on where it was kept. Outside would have to deal with heat and cold (expansion and contraction)

G

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#3)
BE ENCOURAGED!

March 4, 2005, 08:57 AM

Hey Ed. If I recall there was a large thread last year discussing this very topic. A lot of great info was put out there. Maybe you could find it and repost part of it.

With the new riding season just minutes away, this is a great topic to cover.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#4)
Happiness Consultant

March 4, 2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER
Hey Ed. If I recall there was a large thread last year discussing this very topic. A lot of great info was put out there. Maybe you could find it and repost part of it.

With the new riding season just minutes away, this is a great topic to cover.

guess I shouldve thought of this before I posted. I did find something, looks like Doug (kneedragr) had the same question right around the same time last year.

here is the thread:
http://www.dcsportbikes.net/index.ph...ewtopic&t=7087

the info OneFunR6 and SVBadguy give in this thread covers this question thoroughly, thanks guys.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 4, 2005, 10:06 AM

When i use to work for Goodyear the polocy was if a tire was not sold after 4 months of sitting in the racks, it gets send back to be destroyed.
It has to do with the components they use to create the rubber, even though not ovious to the eye, it dries up and therefore it looses some of its performance.

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
DAS BOOT

March 4, 2005, 11:44 AM

Dry-rott Ed. I got a set of tires for my car that were really badly dry rotted and cracked. I am surprised they actually sold them to me. I sent them back and got a new pair.

Best bet is to have a tire place check it out and tell you yes or no.

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#7)
question authority

March 13, 2005, 09:49 AM

post a photo maybe?

GSX-R 1000 K4 Blue
& a mean pony
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/Ima...rno-soreli.jpg
"What are men? Mortal Gods
What are gods? Immortal Men"-Heraclitus 535BCE-475BCE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to flippinrocks  
Unread
  (#8)
Too Fat To Be Fast

April 1, 2005, 06:57 AM

If you look on the side of any tire you should see a dot #.The last 4 digits are the week and year the tire was produced. For example a number 1004 would be the 10th week of 04.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#9)

April 1, 2005, 08:23 AM

Speaking of tires, who has tried the Pilot Power Race tires? I had some mounted down at Barber and used them for 2 1/2 track days. They were pretty rough looking after 2 days and I probably should have changed them sooner, but held off. The thing that surprised me was that the rear really started shredding, and I really wasn't driving all that hard out of the corners. I don't think it was the result of cold tearing either as I always went out for a couple easy laps before picking up the pace. Perhaps that is just the nature of liter bikes, but I'm going to try the Pirellis next. The rear only really slid once one me, so that's pretty good. The front started pushing a bit on me every now and then, so I backed off a little bit more.

I guess it's really no big deal, since 2+ track days without warmers puts enough heat cycles in race tires to make them useless thereafter. Guess I'm just looking for some insight as to how to know when race tires are done. Did I wait WAY too long?

I also ran a set of Pilot Power street tires for the first 1 1/2 days down at barber as it was cold. Granted it was my first time riding the 1000 at the track, and I was riding like a granny, but those tires show virtually no wear. Not nearly as sticky of course, but still...

Rear

Front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_118.jpg (88.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (77.5 KB, 1 views)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
Ballaugh Bridge

April 1, 2005, 03:52 PM

Shredded? That looks normal to me.

This is shredding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shredded.jpg (48.3 KB, 1 views)

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#11)
Loves Sporking

April 1, 2005, 04:02 PM

Dave, you got a little bit of cold-tearing, but it doesn't look that bad. Remember, it's the track temp, not tire temp, that causes it. On colder days, try reducing your compression damping a click or two. That should help, but Travis is right. They don't look too bad in the pictures you posted.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#12)

April 1, 2005, 04:39 PM

Yeah yeah, Travis, I know you're fast! See your tire looks more like I expect. I guess the picture I posted doesn't really show it that well, but what was troubling to me was that there was a depression all the way around where the rubber looks like it had been torn out. It's just a little new to me. The track was warm and the tire looked fine until later in the day. I just don't have experience with it, and thought I'd try to get feedback pre-incident rather than hearing afterward "Your tires were worn out, you should have changed them."

Thanks fellas!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy