DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
1 members and 548 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Happiness Consultant

June 7, 2004, 03:55 PM

All you Michelin Pilot Sport fans, a buddy of mine informed me of these tires. been doing some research on the net. Here is a quick skinny

http://www.sasbk.co.za/Michelin.htm

I liked the "experts comments" at the bottom as well as the ratings. Not sure if Im going to go with them, but I'm hearing and reading a lot of good stuff.

anybody else have comments, news on these? From what I understand, they will be available in the US in August.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#2)
Go slow to go fast...

June 8, 2004, 12:33 PM

"Softest and longest lasting"?!?!? I know that the Pilot Sports rock and if they are saying that these tires are actually better then those that is saying a lot. Gonna have to try them out when they hit the market.

OH HELL YEAH!!!

Tony
1-12-2010
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRonin  
Unread
  (#3)
Happiness Consultant

June 8, 2004, 12:36 PM

I may do the same. Mark August 17th on your calendar. I believe their is a Cornerspeed sponsored event at VIR around that time....the gears in my head are turning.....

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 8, 2004, 12:38 PM

So far I'm pretty dissappointed with the pilot sport.

I may ride a little harder now since I've been riding for a year, but when I switched the stock tire for the Pilot Sport late last fall, this spring it's been slipping way more often than never, even on turns I wasn't taking hard. Plus it's worn a little faster than my stock tire.

We'll see though. I'm no Pilot hard core fan though. I'm up for a longer lasting street tire for sure.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#5)
Conform & Obey

June 8, 2004, 02:19 PM

i know this is thread is speaking of street riding, but i was recently forced to mount Pilot Sport Cup tires on my track bike (i was using Diablo Corsas before)

My first impressions: The rear felt similar to 208GPs on the track. it seemed that the tire was planted, but the bike would move around on the tire. as the sessions came close to the end, the tire was getting a bit greasy and the rear slid around a bit. the slides were very predictable and the tires gave enough warning before they let loose. i had not problems with the front. the only time it slipped was in the rain. for reference i was running somewhere around 1.06 at BeaveRun

Final impression: i attended STTs Pro School the next day and had ZERO problems with the tires. after some of thier wonderful instruction, i was running better lap times and NOT sliding the bike at all. felt very planted and scure. well, actually, i did slide both tires in turn one, but it was raining and i was pushing myself (for the rain)

personally, i like the DCs better as i cant feel teh bike moving on the tires. but once my riding technique became MUCH smoother and my corner entry speeds picked up (so i wasnt relying on teh exit to make up time) the Michelins performed very well.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to splyn  
Unread
  (#6)
Happiness Consultant

June 8, 2004, 02:34 PM

Good stuff splyn, I was wondering what others were thinking about the Diablo Corsas. I only know one person riding them now and I run 208GPs right now. I've heard great stuff on the DCs but nothing like what you've reported.

Kinda funny you mentioned greasy and slipping. My last track day, the 208s were doing the same thing towards the end. This was at Summit and I was getting tired and sloppy so Im sure that had something to do with it.

anyway, I posted about these tires because Im looking to get tires that would be good for both(track and street). Im sure the GPs will last probably til next season but I dont have a dedicated track bike so I ride my bike on the track and street (much to the dismay of several others on this board.....vaginitus sufferers)

Ideally a tire that would last while riding 75% on the street and 25% on the track is what Im looking for. According to the "experts" the Pilot Power may be the tire. Oh well, thats what advertisment is for.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#7)
Conform & Obey

June 8, 2004, 03:28 PM

have you looked at the normal Diablos? i have those on my street bike and they are great. actually, i cant say they are great. all i know is i never have given them a second thought. no sliding, good feel, neutral handling, my bike holds its lines well. I have not tried them on the track, but the PR says they are 70% street and 30% track. If you are using the same bike for track days as well as street, the Diablo Corsas might be a better option. The Corsas last me about 6-7 track days (advanced class) and i am starting to use two rears for each front. PR says that the corsas are 70% track and 30% street.

The sacrifice between the normal and Corsas are: 1) tire life. Corsas are softer and will wear faster 2) dry grip. Corsas will grip better in teh dry. 3) wet grip. Normal Diablos will grip better in the wet and will channel water better (the tread is deaper and wider) 4) sidewall stiffness. the normal diablos will give a better ride over bumps on he street. the Corsas are stiffer for better cornering.

i cant give you a direct comparison between the two as i have them on different bikes and i have yet to try the normal Diablos on the track. i think that you will be happy with either, and if you are a fast road and skilled track rider the Corsas will probably be a better choicce.

This doesnt really help with you question about the Michelins, but thats all i know.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to splyn  
Unread
  (#8)
Happiness Consultant

June 8, 2004, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splyn
The sacrifice between the normal and Corsas are: 1) tire life. Corsas are softer and will wear faster 2) dry grip. Corsas will grip better in teh dry. 3) wet grip. Normal Diablos will grip better in the wet and will channel water better (the tread is deaper and wider) 4) sidewall stiffness. the normal diablos will give a better ride over bumps on he street. the Corsas are stiffer for better cornering.

i cant give you a direct comparison between the two as i have them on different bikes and i have yet to try the normal Diablos on the track. i think that you will be happy with either, and if you are a fast road and skilled track rider the Corsas will probably be a better choicce.

This doesnt really help with you question about the Michelins, but thats all i know.
great info on the Diablos and Diablo Corsas. No worries about the Michelins, something tells me rronin will have the 411 on them August 18 (they are available in the US, Aug 17).

as for me being a fast road and skilled track rider......not yet but hopefully one day.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

June 9, 2004, 08:37 AM

Pirelli's are great, I had Diablo Corsas mounted on my 03 R1 and cant say enough for them.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
God of the Gaps

June 10, 2004, 06:43 AM

Wow, the only advantage I've found to living in Europe. I mounted a Pilot Power on the rear back in April and have been loving it. Previously had a Pilot Sport, and still have that up front. This tire does everything I want it to on the street. Haven't run into a situation at the track yet that's left me wishing I ran another tire. Thing has awesome grip and feels very planted and neutral in the turns.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Happiness Consultant

June 10, 2004, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes
Wow, the only advantage I've found to living in Europe. I mounted a Pilot Power on the rear back in April and have been loving it. Previously had a Pilot Sport, and still have that up front. This tire does everything I want it to on the street. Haven't run into a situation at the track yet that's left me wishing I ran another tire. Thing has awesome grip and feels very planted and neutral in the turns.
cool Cripes. what about tire wear? how durable do you think it is? and how well does it warm up. Ive heard the biggest pain about the Pilot Sport is that it takes some time to warm up, what say you on the Pilot Power?

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#12)
God of the Gaps

June 10, 2004, 10:24 AM

Haven't noticed any wear problems. My commute here is only about 5 miles, not the 40 I was doing in NOVA, so pretty much all my riding is in the curves = no flat spot yet. When the tire is cold it definitely feels softer than a pilot sport, almost to the point that I'd expect it to melt away, but somehow it doesn't. Heats up really fast and I'm comfortable dragging knee after just a few corners. Definitely heats up faster than the pilot sport used to. Track miles get it all nice and gummed up, then a couple days on the street and it's all smooth and new looking again. One thing I have noticed, I think I'd run out of ground clearance before traction. These things are made to leeeean. One thing I have had to cut out though are rolling burnouts. The price of this tire makes them cost prohibitive.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

June 10, 2004, 11:24 AM

I HAVE THE DIABLO CORSAS ON MY 636 AND I LOVE THEM.
I HAVE USED EVER TIRE THEY MAKE AND I THINK THAT THE DIABLO ARE THE BEST
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to 600killer Send a message via AIM to 600killer