DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 637
2 members and 635 guests
CCS762ZX6, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > DCSportbikes.net Related Forums > Site Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Too many forums, not enough posts
Unread
  (#1)
DCSB.net NC division

Too many forums, not enough posts - April 11, 2006, 01:50 PM

Theres a lot of redundancy here, and quite a few forums that have a handful of new threads a month if that. Thus no one reads them regularly. As a general rule, if a forum doesnt fill up with new posts in 24 hours, it probably doesnt need to be subdivided. heres some thoughs...

DCSportbikes.net News + Site Announcements = combined into: DCSB News & Announcements

8 regional forums = could in theory be just va, md, dc

Track daze + track reports = same thing, make 1 forum

riding tips+ tips from experts + how-tos = could be all "tips"

calendar + rides and events + socials corner + after the ride = are all events

tech questions = is superceeded by "brand specific" forums

and you could keep going... but that gets the point across. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it no biggy. Just figured i'd give some pointers from my experience

-Dana
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#2)
ISO a Sugar Mama

April 11, 2006, 01:52 PM

"NEW POSTS"

done.

"Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us." Dragula.

Canon shooter
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Rolex006  
Unread
  (#3)
Posting Nothing Relevant

April 11, 2006, 01:54 PM

how about combining this thread with 2006 Site Suggestions Thread

The East Coast Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
This is America I can shit where I want. FREEDOM!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eck226 Send a message via AIM to eck226  
Unread
  (#4)
DCSB.net NC division

April 11, 2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex006
"NEW POSTS"

done.
Unless you dont want to sift through stuff that either you're not interested in or doesnt pertain to you... otherwise we'd just have 1 main forum right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck226
how about combining this thread with http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/sh...te+suggestions
was reading that, wasnt quite sure my suggestion would be something people generally wanted so i figured i'd see if there was any interest. If not, then why bother the admin(s) ya know? but if thats where it should go, merge away
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#5)
DCSB.net NC division

April 11, 2006, 02:15 PM

thats another example... why would there be a site suggestion thread in "site announcements" and not in "site suggestions"...
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 11, 2006, 02:33 PM

We could combine anything AmIr, Phifer, Das-angela and jess say into
The do not read section.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JAGULE  
Unread
  (#7)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

April 11, 2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck226
how about combining this thread with 2006 Site Suggestions Thread
hahahaha eck226 for the win!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
I'm so tired

April 11, 2006, 02:50 PM

The "search" button works really well for me to look for what ever I need to find. Ummm...I guess we should call it the "find" button...since we are just looking for something. Grrr...or we could call it the "looking" button. I give up. Its fine the way it is.

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#9)
Happiness Consultant

Cool April 11, 2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRydr
The "search" button works really well for me to look for what ever I need to find. Ummm...I guess we should call it the "find" button...since we are just looking for something. Grrr...or we could call it the "looking" button. I give up. Its fine the way it is.
yup. I know SEARCH is a new concept and all but the one we have here is quite powerful - anyone who's used it will agree.

I find the "New Posts" button to work out real well too.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#10)
Site Owner

April 11, 2006, 05:49 PM

The "DCSportbikes.net News" forum needs to be separate for technical reasons. It is what the front page gets its posts from.

The "Calendar Events" forum also needs to be separate for technical reasons.

Rides & Events are Sportbike Related events. Social Corner is non-sportbike related events. We want them separate.

I can understand Track Daze + Track Reports being put into one forum, however some people just want to see what Track Days are coming up without having to sift through track ride reports.

The regional forums rarely do get used, however... most of everything goes into SBC or NSBC...

The HOWTO section is a strict format HOWTO section, as in step 1 step 2 step 3. The Tips from the Experts section is probably going to go away in lieu of HOWTO section. Riding Tips is riding tips, not how to safety wire your bike.

I like the suggestions but outside of the forums that are duplicated for technical reasons, I think we're doing OK.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#11)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
April 11, 2006, 05:57 PM

EASY BUTTON

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#12)
Groundhogs can play dead

April 11, 2006, 09:17 PM

Sometimes outside opinions are clearer than opinions from people already involved. This goes for jobsites, too. Good suggestions, and they are just that: someone's opinion.

Most of the people on this site are lazy, though, or on the site all the time, therefore, the "new posts" tab works pretty well. If not, there's always the search button, though most people don't know where it is (or are just too lazy to use it).

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
DCSB.net NC division

April 11, 2006, 10:07 PM

yeah im not talking about finding things... im talking about even knowing where to look. or where to post for new people. Just for comparisson, i use 11 forums for almost 12,000 members in which only 9 are really used on my own automotive board. We have 48 here on dcsb most of them with less thread activity than people have in their PM inbox. I use only a handful of subforums and a regularly updated sticky threads for events and important stuff. Everything else is easily sorted through with a quick glance.

Just wanted to put it out there as a suggestion. Im sure one day (year) we'll have enough posts coming in to make use of them