DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 451
2 members and 449 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
600cc bike too much for a newbie/beginner?
Unread
  (#1)
Yep, it's purple

600cc bike too much for a newbie/beginner? - July 6, 2007, 10:20 PM

Just got my bike license and looking to get into the sport bike scene. I am 28 and consider myself a fairly responsible auto driver.

My question is after seeing a few threads on my rsx forum that nobody over there thinks a newb should be on a 600cc bike. They have too much power and no room for any error.

I was planning on riding in neighborhoods first prior to getting on the streets, then make the transition to the streets then highways.

What is everyones opinion on this?

Otherwise I'll have to settle for a Ninja 500 if the response is negative...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 6, 2007, 10:26 PM

My first bike was a CBR 600RR. Respect the power and you will be fine. The bike will only go as fast as your twist your rist.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

July 6, 2007, 10:35 PM

I agree with n2o. You control how fast you go. No one else does. Ride your own pace. 600 cc's will be fine.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

July 6, 2007, 10:51 PM

i agree, i started on a FZR600 and now i have an R6. dont get me wrong, i love my bike but i am ready for something bigger!

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 6, 2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o
My first bike was a CBR 600RR. Respect the power and you will be fine. The bike will only go as fast as your twist your rist.
+1.. my first bike was a 600rr as well (and still is)... had an "incident" when I first started riding but it didn't have anything to do with it being a 600 rather than a 500... just a beginner error.
Unread
  (#6)
DCSB.net NC division

July 7, 2007, 12:37 AM

you know yourself better than anyone... how well do you control your emotion to throttle ratio in a car? if someone does something stupid do you shrug it off and keep it sane or do you punch the gas and weave through the mess of idiots to make your point. When you get excited, how stupid are you with your right foot?

Thats what will get you in trouble. A motorcycle will do exactly what YOU tell it to... more power will just do it faster.

That means, if you dont keep your cool, practice your throttle inputs, brake inputs, and work on being smooth... any "RaceReady" bike will bite you.

There are people that start on a busa and do just fine, there are people who start on a gs500 and try to do 100mph on an offramp and run their limbs through the gaurdrail grinder. One thing to keep in mind is a rather large percentage of rookies drop their first bike a few times - most while standing still or at very low speeds (parking lots, stop lights, etc). It gets VERY expensive to replace parts on some of the $$$ litre bikes from rookie mistakes.

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#7)
Being nice :)

July 7, 2007, 02:34 AM

from one moto noob to another, lemme tell ya'...I am 28 myself with past years' of unmoto experience, such as reg bikes like courier bikes, 'fuck ur ozone depleting' bikes , and that prev experience on the bmx, mongoose, huffy, n cannondale built sometype of muscle memory...so.... knowing n trusting your own body's reflexes is more essential than what you expect to depend from a bike....start on what you want, depend on what you know- Yourself fuck the ney sayers b/c only U can be Ur own best adviser when ur @ the bars. Do what feels right.....n if ur not a right hander, then switch n get ur practice notice even the tosser smilie is right handed......hahah pass me the dvd remote! haaaaahaaaha

You're Welcome...

Last edited by ziggy; July 7, 2007 at 02:44 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

July 7, 2007, 04:57 AM

Any motorcycle is potentially too large for a beginner. On the flip side, a beginner can start with anything. n2o and boostdemon both are giving you good advice. Respect the machine and what it can do, and know and accept your limits. That fact that you are asking your question about 600cc shows you are safe-minded to start with. After you get something, don't get cocky and don't ride for any purposes other than for your own safe enjoyment, and you'll be fine.

I started on a 650 standard many years ago. Had some time with no bike, then got a 600 bandit last year. Depending on your riding experience, you might consider a bandit or other "sport standard" bike, like an SV650...or a Ducati Monster, if you're into that whole spend-all-your-money kinda thing.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#9)
Now with a TBSP of love

July 7, 2007, 05:53 AM

If you decide to get something smaller I would recommend a honda CB1, but I think a 600 is perfect for a beginer. If you get a 250, you might possibly regret it once you get comfortable. Also, if you haven't, take the moto safety class. 1. they usually have 250s (you'll know what they feel like) and 2. it would be for your own good .
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

July 7, 2007, 07:21 AM

i started off in a 600 as well (R6)... still have it
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Kevmo  
Unread
  (#11)
Que se jodan!!

July 7, 2007, 07:40 AM

Three words: Respect the throttle.

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

July 7, 2007, 08:02 AM

I've started with a CBR600rr and it was just fine. The bike is light and easy to manuver. I think it is the perfect starter bike. Pretty soon you will be looking to upgrade. Good luck and be safe.... we'll see you on the streets.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to remixed3  
Unread
  (#13)
PewPew

July 7, 2007, 08:10 AM

I started on a TL1000R V-twin superbike... what the hell was i thinking!? j/k

Respect the power, make sure you have a good teacher if you've never ridden before. I taught a friend how to ride on a Hayabusa 1300R... any bike can be used as a "first bike" if you're mentally equipped and have a good teacher. That is all.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#14)
EX-small helmet for me??

July 7, 2007, 08:37 AM

Last March I purchased a Ninja 250 thinking that the smaller bike would help me get over the fear of being on two wheels. I signed up for the Motorcycle class at NOVA and got my license in June. The bike served its purpose and I learned how to ride and manuever through the streets and highways quite comfortably, however, I soon wanted something bigger. I purchased my GSXR-750 in August. I sat on many bikes looking for the one "that fit" me, the Gixxer did. Even though the bike has alot of power, I only do what Im comfortable doing. I dont do stunts or drive at warp speed--I respect the bike---more importantly, I respect myself !! Im not going to do something stupid and hurt myself, my bike or someone else. Just because you have the power, doesnt give you the right to loose all senses and be stupid!!

If your really not comfortable on a 600, perhaps a used 250 or 500 to learn on would be sufficient. Keep in mind, you will trade up- we all do!! ( I made the mistake of buying a brand new 250 thinking that I would never buy another bike-haha) Dont get me wrong, Im glad I purchased the 250 b/c I had absolutely no previous riding experience. (I lost $$$, but gained valuable experience.)

Find the bike that fits you and remember that machine in between your legs can hurt you! Be smart and def. wear your gear!! Start slow and build your confidence--I started in my driveway, then the cul-de-sac, the neighborhood streets, then the highway!! Also, big empty parking lots are great for practicing!

Good luck!!

2006 GSX-R 750- My Baby!
2007 Yamaha Warrior-Hubby's new toy!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Twinky1122  
Unread
  (#15)
Chupathingy?

July 7, 2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Three words: Respect the throttle.
+INFINITY

Reading down through it everyone was saying the same thing. YOU ARE IN CONTROL. I started to learn on a goldwing, big CC's, and worked out fine for me in the end. Just remeber that everyone falls once. Unless your me, then the number of probable falls is endless.

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains