DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 503
2 members and 501 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Adopt A Newbie (New 2009 Joint Son)
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Adopt A Newbie (New 2009 Joint Son) - March 28, 2009, 12:31 PM

Well I figured the older one wasnt getting enough attention because of its age so we will try this again... post up!!!

This thread is for people looking for a biking "mentor" if you're just starting out or been riding for a few years but think you could need some help, post here. There are a lot of smart knowledgeable people on the board, make use of them. This could be very useful for track noobs also.

So it would go something like this: Noob posts about wanting to be adopted, older wiser member adopts him, they exchange contact info, the noob can now call or IM or email the mentor about problems or questions he has about his changing body, maybe they even go out riding together, maybe the noob gets taken to the track for the first time. Who knows.

Ok ground rules.

1. Don't whore this thread and post about unrelated shit.
2. Noobs, give your info, what kind of bike you ride, where you live, what kind of help you are looking for (mechanical, riding advice, purchasing a new bike etc..)
3. If you want to adopt a noob be serious about it please, don't use this thread as an excuse to list how long you've been riding or how many bikes you've owned. K thanks.

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
2 wheels for life

March 28, 2009, 12:45 PM

I guess Kev is my mentor Wish he lets me use the dremel

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 28, 2009, 02:06 PM

come on newbies I know you wanna get adopted!!

Quote:
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
Unread
  (#4)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 28, 2009, 02:22 PM

Just an idea for the next phase in adopting a noob.
Does anyone find interest or think it would work if your mentor took it to the track?
Even though they probably qualify for the advanced/race group if they reclassified as a beginner and only did a 1 on 1 with their noob to help show them around the track for the day. Sometimes leading, sometimes following and talking with them after each session.
Of course this might also involve the noob paying for their mentors track day since it might be a snore fest for them but very advantagous to the noob!
Would this work. Would it be something that would need to be worked out with organizations like Nesba, Roger etc?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#5)
superdupernunu

March 28, 2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
Just an idea for the next phase in adopting a noob.
Does anyone find interest or think it would work if your mentor took it to the track?
Even though they probably qualify for the advanced/race group if they reclassified as a beginner and only did a 1 on 1 with their noob to help show them around the track for the day. Sometimes leading, sometimes following and talking with them after each session.
Of course this might also involve the noob paying for their mentors track day since it might be a snore fest for them but very advantagous to the noob!
Would this work. Would it be something that would need to be worked out with organizations like Nesba, Roger etc?

Now i would be all over that...ive been riding 3 years now and I think its time to start trying out the trackdays. Eventually getting away from the street altogether...though $$$ will dictate just how soon that happens. Any real track riders wanna adopt a track noob for a trackday or two this upcoming season to pass down some of their valuable knowledge? My hope would be to meet a seasoned track vet, not some egotistical yahoo. Thanks in advance.

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!

March 28, 2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha00311 View Post
Now i would be all over that...ive been riding 3 years now and I think its time to start trying out the trackdays. Eventually getting away from the street altogether...though $$$ will dictate just how soon that happens. Any real track riders wanna adopt a track noob for a trackday or two this upcoming season to pass down some of their valuable knowledge? My hope would be to meet a seasoned track vet, not some egotistical yahoo. Thanks in advance.
I only mention it because I have a friend who rides in the advanced class.
He has gone out with me 1 on 1 and it was an awesome time learning from someone better that didn't pull away from me after 3 turns and would force me to go in front trying to do what I had learned from him. Then talking with him during the entire time between sessions helped a lot too.
Luckily he rides with Roger alot and Roger let him go out with me when he told him what he was doing and not going out there to race slower guys.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#7)
superdupernunu

March 28, 2009, 03:09 PM

definitely sounds like a great idea. im looking at doing a couple of Roger Lyle's trackdays at summit main this summer.

let's f*cking rage!
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Say Jur Oh

March 28, 2009, 03:18 PM

Noob here

I live in Herndon, this will be my 3rd full season.
I'm 27, and I ride a 2008 R1. I'm pretty solid when it comes to turning a wrench. I'm know there's a world for me to learn when it comes to riding. I'm just looking to be better on a bike in every way. I've never been on a track, but I'd love to go at some point.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#9)
Can't Find the Ditch

March 28, 2009, 03:48 PM

Noob here.
Live in Stafford
Ride 06 F4I.
Unread
  (#10)
someone adopt a newb

March 28, 2009, 03:49 PM

Hell I will post up in the new thread too. This will be my first full season. I was not able to ride as much as I wanted last year due to buying my bike so late in the season. Riding an 06 SV650. Looking to learn a little bit of everything. Mech, riding, and hopefully track one day soon. I am out in good ol' Culpeper but work down in Gainesville on the weekends.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to flynmnky  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

March 28, 2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
change.
Unread
  (#12)
Got my Permit

March 28, 2009, 10:34 PM

Noob here, I had an ex 500 a couple seasons ago, I got maybe 200 miles worth of riding time under my belt. I picked up an 07 600rr a few days ago and I could use a mentor/riding partner to show me the ropes. I live in leesburg, thanks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to eibowow Send a message via AIM to eibowow Send a message via MSN to eibowow  
Unread
  (#13)
TPG - screw face

March 28, 2009, 10:51 PM

i think this thread is here just for laughs...cuz never have I seen a "my mentor took me out today and i learned this" thread

and since you can't thank god when you crash and don't get hurt...i'd love to see the threads thanking the mentor, ironically i bet those threads would be WAY better filled with "kudos to him...he's/she's a great person"

Last edited by Oneway; March 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

March 28, 2009, 10:53 PM

I would be down to mentor but I work nights and have a young daughter so the only time I really have is the occasional day on the weekend... If anyone in my area wants me to adopt them let me know but our time would be minimal...

Quote:
change.
Unread
  (#15)
opossum puncher

March 28, 2009, 11:06 PM

Id happly take on a noob, show them some ropes, share what I know; however, I can be a dick. If they refuse advice, or pull some stupid shit more than once, Ill drop their ass and wash my hands like they were that dead stripper from the movie with charlie sheen, or was that not a movie?

Im in Woodbridge, been riding street 7 years, turned my fair share of wrenches, no stranger to the track.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool