DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 499
2 members and 497 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
changing lanes on a milled road
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

changing lanes on a milled road - September 4, 2013, 08:30 AM

Still pretty new to riding and I was wondering about milled lanes. Is it safe to ride over the little "curb" to get out of a milled lane? Is there a special technique to riding over these things? Some of them look pretty deep and I don't want to wind up on the ground.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 4, 2013, 08:32 AM

I just go over 'em. Never had an issue.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HenryW  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a llama again!

September 4, 2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Still pretty new to riding and I was wondering about milled lanes. Is it safe to ride over the little "curb" to get out of a milled lane? Is there a special technique to riding over these things? Some of them look pretty deep and I don't want to wind up on the ground.
Milled roads are fine. Just stay relaxed and calm. Don't death grip the bars keep loose. Bike will move around a little bit but no need to fight it.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a llama again!

September 4, 2013, 08:35 AM

Might want to keep your distance from back of cars and such they will toss up gravel.

Unread
  (#5)
Don't believe the hype...

September 4, 2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Milled roads are fine. Just stay relaxed and calm. Don't death grip the bars keep loose. Bike will move around a little bit but no need to fight it.
But what about when you want to get out of the milled road? I think that's what he's asking...

I've done it once before. It was a bit scary, but I tried not to freak out. I think it'll help a bit if you come off the seat and keep relaxed. But I'll let someone more experienced chime in.

'11 Speedy
'72 CB450
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

September 4, 2013, 08:46 AM

Try to hit the "curb" as square as possible. The danger is if your wheel doesn't go up over the edge quickly, it can sort of fall off the edge.

At least that's how I've always done it.
Unread
  (#7)
Derpentine Dealer

September 4, 2013, 08:48 AM

Option 1 is to wait for a bridge and change lanes there. Bridges are nearly always concrete so they are not milled when the asphalt is being refreshed. In this area, you don't have to travel long to pass over a bridge.

Option 2 is to cross the transition with purpose and intent. Going from high to low is easy. Going from low to high is easy too so long as you make the transition quick. Start far from the step, cross to and over the step quickly, and follow through to the far side of the lane you just entered. Don't try to ease your way onto the higher pavement. Just get on there and go about your business.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a llama again!

September 4, 2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0bbles View Post
But what about when you want to get out of the milled road? I think that's what he's asking...

I've done it once before. It was a bit scary, but I tried not to freak out. I think it'll help a bit if you come off the seat and keep relaxed. But I'll let someone more experienced chime in.

OSD Option #2 is the best way.

Unread
  (#9)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
September 4, 2013, 08:56 AM

Yep, #2 is what works for me. When I have to deal with this I try to find a nice open spot in traffic and 'turn into/lean into' it so I come at it with purpose. It feels a little squirrely when you hit it but relaxed grip on the handlebars has served me well.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

September 4, 2013, 09:05 AM

Ok. Option #2 is also what I was thinking. I just wanted to hear from people with experience that it actually works before trying it for myself. Thanks!
Unread
  (#11)
opossum puncher

September 4, 2013, 09:09 AM

I also like to come across at an angle squared off as much as possible, and lifting your butt off the seat helps with the suspension in absorbing the shock on those really tall lips. 95/395 HOV is all chewed up and this is part of my daily commute now.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

September 4, 2013, 09:16 AM

Yep, you don't want this || (one line being the road, the other being your bike)

You do want this |\
Unread
  (#13)
All weather rider

September 4, 2013, 09:18 AM

If the disparity in height between the two lanes is sufficient, you could wipe out if you ride over it at an angle that is is nearly parallel to the line.
Wait for a decent gap in traffic, or create one by pulling forward, then scrubbing off some speed. From the far side of the lane, swerve so that you are angled 45 degrees heading across to the other lane. At this point the bike should be straight up, not leaned and you pass over the ridge. Then swerve back to straight to end up on the far side of the other lane. Treat the ridge as you would a train track; 90 degrees would be best, but in traffic at speed that's not possible.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

September 4, 2013, 09:32 AM

Did you take the BRC? I'm guessing not since we address how to cross an obstacle.

Answer: Rise up off the seat, knees bent and against the tank. Get as close to 90 degrees as possible, roll on the throttle positioning your body towards the back of the bike to lighten the front, as your front goes over roll off the throttle to lighten the back.

But, IMO, it's best to just position yourself in the good lane from the get go and only change lanes if necessary.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 4, 2013, 09:34 AM

Yep. Cross with as much angle as possible, just like Helen said

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...