DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 491
2 members and 489 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

April 20, 2004, 12:44 AM

UPDATE part duex

After MCGOD's post and my thinking about what he said, I'm going to modify my original post greatly. It's quoted later if you really feel the need to read it. If you think it's arrogant, go to page 5 where I tell you how much I care.

The original post was spread over a six year period. I posted about the way I felt at the time I felt it. Maybe I was cocky at the time. Maybe I still am. Have I changed since then? Definitely. What I see as pride and confidence in my skill set, others see as ego and arrogance. Oh well. Life goes on. And as it does I'll be out there every day trying to learn something new about motorcycles and riding.

I was going to edit the original piecemeal, but the whole thing boils down to I constantly want to learn. I spent a lot of time riding with people who were better than me to pick up new things and figure out how to do existing things better. I still try to do that. My personal goal is to get as fast as I can. I've spent years soaking up knowledge and applying it. I probably didn't do it in the safest environment, but it's what I knew. If I could go back in time, I would've started on the track earlier. I'll admit I go too fast for the street. I feel I need to constantly practice in order to keep what I've learned, and learn new things. I could wait till track days, but I don't think that's often enough to not degrade. Should I slow down as many have mentioned? Yes. Can I? I honestly don't know.

I constantly set goals for myself. Whether it's in the gym or riding. Little things to help me get better. At first it was to learn everything I could about going fast. And I did some reckless things in my pursuit of it. Now they are more refined and specific and I am a lot more careful. Most now have to do with how to get better on the track. A couple have to do with being able to wrench everything on my bike.

What are your goals and how have you done towards them?

-Mod

I wish I could write like Jager.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Richard Cranium

April 20, 2004, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian
I started riding because I always loved motorcycles. And for the first year I rode by myself and just enjoyed the sensation. My second year I bought my YZF600R and decided to try some group riding since I had a better bike than my Katana. I mainly did it to meet other people who rode and shared the passion. I thought I'd be able to hold my own but my first ever group ride was an eye opening experience. Those guys were FLYING. I had to figure out how they were doing it. So I set a goal that one day I would be running in the front with them. I devoured everything I could and every week I was practicing something new. After every ride I would relax at home and go over everything. What had I done right, what had I done wrong, what had worked, what hadn't. I kept that habit for years. I was always striving to make the next ride better than the last. The first time I tried hanging off was when things started clicking. The bike felt so much more stable. And I could carry more speed through corners. I slowly made my way up in the group. I watched people in front of me, and knew if they could do it, so could I.

In the middle of this, I set my next goal. I would prove that the YZF could run with anyone. People would see what I was riding and blow me off thinking I was a back marker. I got great enjoyment out of showing them what that bike was capable of. I lost track of the number of people who were amazed that the YZF could keep up, or even lose people.

That same year I hit 211 for the first time. It was love at first site, and my next goal was born. I would own that mountain. I was up there every weekend, most times 2 days in a row. I got to know every little quirk of each corner. (Which threw me off when they repaved it) I kept at it and eventually I was leading rides up there. I have done at least 300 runs (not days) up 211 and it's probably closer to 500. I have no idea why people get tired of that mountain or why people are scared of it. Everything I know I learned at 211. lol

I then got my R6. I took it to 211 to pop it's cherry at 400 miles. It was so freaking easy to ride that bike fast in the twisties. I realized that I had done right learning to go fast on the YZF because you have to ride the piss out of it to make it fast and I learned a lot from doing so. When I got on a bike that was made for the twisties, it flowed like water in the corners. I heard countless stories of how twitchy the R6 was, and how unforgiving. I have never noticed that in my bike.

I constantly challenged myself to get better. Some people think I'm an arrogant asshole (only if I don't like you ), but I always keep myself humble. I kept my ego in check and I always tried to ride with faster people to learn new things. After awhile though I was running out of people that would challenge me. I tried leading rides for awhile but that grew stale because I didn't have anyone to compare myself to. I also got tired of waiting for people. I eventually found a constant group with Doug and Travis which was great since it was small, we were at similiar levels so no waiting, and we constantly challenged each other.

I don't have any hard goals now except to start racing eventually. I want to do more track days to fine tune everything and get used to the track atmosphere. But I think I've accomplished all I can do on the street. I still try to find little ways to pick up more speed, but it's not as hardcore as it was.

This was supposed to be about goals but changed into more of a story. People ride for all different reasons. Some people try to get faster and actively work at it, some ride only with slower people to get an ego boost and hero worshipped, some ride just for the sheer enjoyment of riding, some ride cause it's "cool". What are your goals and how have you done towards them?

-Mod

I wish I could write like Jager.
It was a very lovely story.....and you tell it...so well

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
Unread
  (#3)
Brainwash Your Face!

April 20, 2004, 07:26 AM

Great Post!

I do have goals. Many goals. I have also accomplished 2 within one week. Getting my butt off of the seat and "bliping" my throttle when downshifting to keep my revs constant. Now my 2 focus points are 1) getting my body off more, elbow out, and "kiss the mirror" as well as 2) increasing my exit speed.

I ask a lot of questions, many I feel are stupid but I want an answer. Also, I am not a textbook learner, I am hands on. I tried reading TOTW and it just really did not click. So verbal discussion and action works for me.

As well as you I am very humble when it comes to my riding. IT IS "clicking" now that I am getting off of my seat, therefore giving me more confidence about my capabilities and further increases the hunger for more knowledge.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#4)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

April 20, 2004, 08:27 AM

My 1st goal is to teach others before they make some of the same mistakes I did...

My other goal is to get more track experience, and if I can get over the fear of stuffing people in corners, to finally race...

Goal 3 is to get to that point again where instead of saying "oh sh!t" ...I can say "oh yeah"

those are in no particular order....but all of great importance to me...

Aaron, I would suggest you try spreading your knowledge by taking noobs out and helping them learn safely and correctly...

It really does make you feel good about life when someone gets excited about the small joys of learning to "rail" or simple things like blipping the throttle...

Honda Cbr600RR NESBA #135
"Your anger makes me Happy"
Ambivalent? Welllll, yes and no.
You are about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via AIM to KatiesGSXR600m Send a message via MSN to KatiesGSXR600m  
Unread
  (#5)
Mr. Glass

April 20, 2004, 08:56 AM

great read..

i gotta a couple of things..

1) same thing as boom... need to get my bum off the seat.. and get my CG into the inside of the turn..
2) goes back to one so i can start some knee draggin..
3) get some track exp. in..
4) be able to rail!
5) i can wheelie, but i wanna do a low speed wheelie.. no idea how to though..

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

April 20, 2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I ask a lot of questions, many I feel are stupid but I want an answer. Also, I am not a textbook learner, I am hands on. I tried reading TOTW and it just really did not click. So verbal discussion and action works for me.
Great. I asked a lot of stupid questions when I was learning, but I didn't care because I wanted to learn. So I swallowed my pride and asked. Most of the things I learned was thru experimentation also. It seemed like common sense to me and then later I would read a book and find out I was right. That amused me. I recently read Total Control and he had steps in there for approaching and taking a corner. And it was almost exactly the same as the steps I wrote in a post awhile ago. I had written my steps from actually thinking about how I take a corner. That was a great feeling. TOTW used to be the bible, but I think Sport Riding Techniques and Total Control are superior books. Give those a shot. I still ask stupid questions, but it's about working on the bike. That's one of my current goals, to be able to do everything to my bike.

Quote:
Aaron, I would suggest you try spreading your knowledge by taking noobs out and helping them learn safely and correctly...
If people expressed interest in learning, I would. But honestly I don't see a lot of people with the same drive I had. I have asked a couple people who seemed interested in learning to join us, but I think they felt intimidated by the pace we set or the rumors of how crazy we are on the street. It's all a question of pride. If I could find someone to ride with who was faster, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

-Mod
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

April 20, 2004, 09:39 AM

Crap, how the hell did this make the front page? Now I wish I had written it better.

-Mod
Unread
  (#8)
Brainwash Your Face!

April 20, 2004, 09:46 AM

Yeah I will check those books out but like I said it is hands on for me. As far as learning through "experimentation" I do try to do that but sometimes I think I hold myself back, I dunno. I try to look at all of moves from all kinds of angles to see what was right or what was wrong.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

April 20, 2004, 09:49 AM

1. Keep my country riding ass out of NOVA.
2. Track days
3. Photoshop every person on this board.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 20, 2004, 09:50 AM

I go through the same thing with the Buell XB. People blow it off but I know that it's the Rider that makes the difference not the bike. My goal: Be able to ride that thing hard and toss it around in the corners. I believe that I have made great strides with my riding, but much more improvement is in front of me. I do need more track time to get where I need to be, working on throttle control to drive out of a corner like it can be done, body positioning, etc...(but with a newborn track time doesn't mix). Eventually, I'd like to race a few times just to say that I've done it and to have the experience.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

April 20, 2004, 10:54 AM

Aaron, I like you. I think you're a solid dude but I think you'll be lucky if your goals don't get you in trouble or worse.

I see your other goal is to start racing. Please go that route. I know you are really fast on the street. Your speeds on the street = one thing. It's a ticking clock.

Please be safe out there.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

April 20, 2004, 10:56 AM

That being said... my goals are pretty simple. Ride.
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

April 20, 2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy6
Aaron, I like you. I think you're a solid dude but I think you'll be lucky if your goals don't get you in trouble or worse.

I see your other goal is to start racing. Please go that route. I know you are really fast on the street. Your speeds on the street = one thing. It's a ticking clock.

Please be safe out there.
I thought about the same thing when I was doing the original post. It's a two edged sword. I feel I need to go a certain speed to keep my skills peaked. But one time it's going to bite me in the ass in a non-pretty way. I should go slower and be safer and save it for the track, but you have to keep practicing something over and over to make it instinct. And I'm not going to speed 400+ a month for the track for the amount of time I would need.

I have changed some things. There's a lot of roads I no longer haul down. I save it all for specific roads that I know have no driveways and usually no cars either. I also try to keep the roads secret too to keep other bikes away. There used to be a whole maze of roads I took to get to 211 that I would fly down, and which were stupid to fly down. Now I bypass them all and go straight to the mountain.

I understand what you're saying Scot, and I have thought about it. I will say that I take it easy on roads where I think the danger element is too high for the needed speed. My taking it easy though is a lot different from most peoples. My 5/10's is like most people's 8 or 9/10's. Which is one reason I think I hear that I need to slow down a lot. I'll be taking it easy for me, but to other people it looks like I'm flying. So they think I'm a menace or going to get bitten. I always save something in check in case something happens. It has saved me countless times and is one of the reasons I have never wrecked on the street I feel.

-Mod
Unread
  (#14)
Mr. Glass

April 20, 2004, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That being said... my goals are pretty simple. Ride.
word.

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#15)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 20, 2004, 12:21 PM

My goal is mostly to have fun. I definitely want to (and need to) improve my riding. Obviously the only way to do that is to ride, and ride often. There is certainly some truth to the fact that pushing yourself will help you improve. The harder question is where to push yourself. My primary goal for the street is to get to the point where I have enough self-discipline to simply enjoy the ride, not push to get faster or ride a better wheelie. My goal for the track is to work on improving my riding, and enjoy the experience. I know that skills are earned through years of experience, and I'm not in any rush.

[Edit: Oh yeah, and to learn as much as I can about working on my bikes! Managed to remove and reinstall my forks by myself this weekend, with some sage words of advice from Shawn and Steve!]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy