DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
3 members and 527 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Fireclowns' butt. Questions about long distance touring on a 500R
Unread
  (#1)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

Fireclowns' butt. Questions about long distance touring on a 500R - June 25, 2007, 08:02 AM

This august I will be riding my Kawi 500R to Michigan with my Dad, who will be on an appropriate bike. I know this isn't the right bike for this ride. But I'm doing it anyway.

I've been doing some longer rides in order to get ready for this questionably wise project. Since I figure that I'll be riding 400 miles per day maximum, I've been doing some 250 - 300 mile days. The next adventure is my big trip to centralia.

My back is fine, owing to the high riding position of the bike, which is good. I am sometimes having my arms fall asleep, but moving my wrists around is helping. Also good.

The downside is that I am having some comfort issues in my backside. Notably, the area betwixt my sit bones has become tender. Is this a normal thing that will shake out? SHould I be using some kind of horse blanket or something? Has anyone tried the "anti monkey butt" product that I have seen advertised? I'd hate to suffer in silence and learn that there is an easy solution.

Spaceballs is one dumb ass movie. I'm surprised I had to tell you that.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 25, 2007, 08:07 AM

Get gel inserts put in your stock seat will also help.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
whoa preppy......

June 25, 2007, 08:22 AM

Gel inserts can help but retain crazy heat and can make your ass worse.

Sheepskin seat cover and compression shorts. Gold Bond powder also helps. The trick is to keep your ass cool and dry.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
DCSB.net NC division

June 25, 2007, 07:26 PM

yes, ass welding... very common after long rides to outdoor summer events that including lots of walking around.

n2o swears by monkeybutt powder during his race season where he and the crew spend all day running around on hot asphalt sweating their asses off.. literally.

you can get padded bicycle shorts maybe?

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

June 25, 2007, 08:20 PM

I dislike anything gel. As Scott says it retains heat. I also find that vibration causes it to get very hard. Sheepskin or Airhawk maybe a new saddle. I swear by biking shorts and Anti-Monkey Butt powder works, Gold Bond is cheaper. Most of the pain you are feeling is most likely caused by sweat. 500 mile days should be no problem on your machine.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 25, 2007, 08:21 PM

I think I just repeated what Scott said....Sorry
Unread
  (#7)
F4iGuy

June 26, 2007, 04:00 PM

When is the ride? I'm driving up to Michigan at the end of July and if i remember correctly you'll be just 30 miles north of where I'll be staying.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to