DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 498
2 members and 496 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
FORM
Unread
  (#1)
TPG - screw face

FORM - October 28, 2008, 04:21 PM

ok so that body position thread turned into a cow patty contest too quick for me to learn anything and I didn't bother to see if it got back on topic lol

one thing I've heard is "kiss the mirrors" but in contrast to that...there is a vid on youtube by some reputable person about body position (vid takes place on a stationary bike) and he states to have your knee and leg parallel with the deck when leaning....but now i'm reading that you should be leaning forward a bit

a. I don't have mirrors
b. in relation to your handle bars/hand grip...where should your head/chin be

I figure since mostly ALL sports and actions are determined by where your head and eyes are....if I can get my big ass head in the right spot...the body will follow and that symmetrical line of bike-n-body will be drawn.

eh?

edit: oh and to reduce cow patties - I don't care about speed....cuz without form...you're just careless with a bit of luck.

Last edited by Oneway; October 28, 2008 at 04:23 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Resident Rodent

October 28, 2008, 04:51 PM

Ok. I'm just an "I" group, hack ... so, take this for what it is worth.

The two bits of advice I got that sunk in and helped me the most (cause I could actually feel the results) were this:

1) From Sportbikerchic 4 years ago ... "pretend you are pointing your elbow at the ground like a chicken-wing." I know it sounds funny, but I did what that sounds like ... and it made me a lot faster.

2) From Hollywood: "pretend there is an invisible 6-inch string between your chest and the tank; you have to be that low."

Hooah.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#3)
Agitator

October 28, 2008, 06:24 PM

upper arm, upper leg, lower leg, foot, head...point them all in a line and where you want to go.

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 28, 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
ok so that body position thread turned into a cow patty contest too quick for me to learn anything and I didn't bother to see if it got back on topic lol

one thing I've heard is "kiss the mirrors" but in contrast to that...there is a vid on youtube by some reputable person about body position (vid takes place on a stationary bike) and he states to have your knee and leg parallel with the deck when leaning....but now i'm reading that you should be leaning forward a bit

a. I don't have mirrors
b. in relation to your handle bars/hand grip...where should your head/chin be

I figure since mostly ALL sports and actions are determined by where your head and eyes are....if I can get my big ass head in the right spot...the body will follow and that symmetrical line of bike-n-body will be drawn.

eh?

edit: oh and to reduce cow patties - I don't care about speed....cuz without form...you're just careless with a bit of luck.
track or street?

I ask because I would like to know if the racers change their "form" for street riding.

I have only been on the track 3 times, but, even at Barber, it was almost calming compared to the street. Less to worry about. I find myself setting up or thinking about my out.
Unread
  (#5)
You meet the nicest

October 28, 2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
track or street?

I ask because I would like to know if the racers change their "form" for street riding.

I have only been on the track 3 times, but, even at Barber, it was almost calming compared to the street. Less to worry about. I find myself setting up or thinking about my out.
In aggressive twisties I use my legs and shift weight slightly, but nothing approaching hanging off.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#6)
2 wheels for life

October 28, 2008, 09:49 PM

Just look at my avatar and learn man j/k
Here is what I was looking at yesterday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvzauJfbDwk
and this what B-mac was talking about too .. the bike should be steered with ur legs not handle bars (appropriate speed needed)

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Que se jodan!!

October 29, 2008, 07:07 AM

WOOT! A motorcycle thread!!!!

1. I agree with Magic Rat.
2. I agree with Birdman.
3. One thing I used to do that I've since corrected is the old "ass way off the seat, but head still over the tank" position. I've discovered "leading" with my head, i.e. leaning out while looking further into the turn, felt better.

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#8)
Street Bonk Bum.....

October 29, 2008, 07:12 AM

i think that everyone has thier own style, i would do whatever feels the most natural/comfortable to you, just ride within your limits. i.e. your "suppose to" look throught a turn yet when you watch Rossi ride in GP he looks down right at the rumble strip, so i think what ever works for you do it.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

October 29, 2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
the bike should be steered with ur legs not handle bars (appropriate speed needed)
No. You ever riden the no BS bike? Try steering your bike using only your body. Put your hands at the to of the windshield stays and try to turn using only your legs. It'll move but it won't corner. Counter steering is what makes the bike turn. Using your legs and shifting weight helps control it and change the CoG. At least that is how it was all explained to me.

You should pick up a copy of Twist of the Wrist.

Whether good form or not, I don't know. I was also told that your arms should be a parallelogram. your shoulders should perpendicular to the centerline of the bike. Another thing that I see and am guilty of is cocking the head in the opposite direction of the turn.

See here how my head is positioned like I am looking around the corner rather than attacking it.

Here my head is down looking through the turn and weight shifted to the left a bit. Shoulders square rather than dropping the inside.

Critique please. This is what I was taught. I'll try new things to see if they work.

My riding is all street I never commit 100% to a corner or line. You never know where there will be debris, cars, animals or crashes in front of you.
Unread
  (#10)
Street Bonk Bum.....

October 29, 2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
No. You ever riden the no BS bike? Try steering your bike using only your body. Put your hands at the to of the windshield stays and try to turn using only your legs. It'll move but it won't corner. Counter steering is what makes the bike turn. Using your legs and shifting weight helps control it and change the CoG. At least that is how it was all explained to me.

You should pick up a copy of Twist of the Wrist.

Whether good form or not, I don't know. I was also told that your arms should be a parallelogram. your shoulders should perpendicular to the centerline of the bike. Another thing that I see and am guilty of is cocking the head in the opposite direction of the turn.

See here how my head is positioned like I am looking around the corner rather than attacking it.

Here my head is down looking through the turn and weight shifted to the left a bit. Shoulders square rather than dropping the inside.

Critique please. This is what I was taught. I'll try new things to see if they work.

My riding is all street I never commit 100% to a corner or line. You never know where there will be debris, cars, animals or crashes in front of you.
^

these are from last year but try hangin off the bike and look through the corner, try sliding your butt over a bit

Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

October 29, 2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
^

these are from last year but try hangin off the bike and look through the corner, try sliding your butt over a bit

I get my butt off the seat but not like that. I am not concerned with putting a knee down just to do it. I want to be as smooth and fluid as possible using the proper skills and always open to learning new technique.

Another thing that I would like con vie to newer riders is that the perfecting the basics will make you a better rider than trying to look like a racer on the street. And leave room to make corrections.
Unread
  (#12)
2 wheels for life

October 29, 2008, 08:26 AM

Countersteer to initiate the lean and then the rst is bodyposition.. more countersteerting during the turn to make mid corner adjustments

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

October 29, 2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
^

Your upper body position is just what I was taught.

What else do people have. Post pics and explain why something is correct or incorrect. The physics of a motorcycle are what they are. I like'd to hear more about the basics than style.
Unread
  (#14)
2 wheels for life

October 29, 2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I get my butt off the seat but not like that. I am not concerned with putting a knee down just to do it. I want to be as smooth and fluid as possible using the proper skills and always open to learning new technique.

Another thing that I would like con vie to newer riders is that the perfecting the basics will make you a better rider than trying to look like a racer on the street. And leave room to make corrections.
haha people dont hang off to look like racers .. Increasing the contact patch is the main reason .. also there must be some physics involved too

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

October 29, 2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP View Post
Countersteer to initiate the lean and then the rst is bodyposition.. more countersteerting during the turn to make mid corner adjustments
OK so you are using countersteering through out the corner. How do you get out of the corner? Countersteer.

So on a street bike you weight the inside peg to lower the CoG and use your weight to control the movement of the machine. Lowering and moving CoG toward the turn decreases lean angle and increases cornering speed. Birdman please correct.

Take it to the dirt. now you weight your outside peg and move your weight the outside of the turn. As you can see you still countersteer.

Now go get on you bicycle. How do turn that? Countersteer.