DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
2 members and 482 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
GROUP RIDING ETTIQUETTE
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

GROUP RIDING ETTIQUETTE - December 25, 2007, 11:23 AM

I couldnt figure out how to post the text but here is a link.

This is just suppose to be a rough outline to follow

http://www.sevacycles.com/smf/index.php?topic=138.0

2006 Triumph Daytona 675 Scorched Yellow
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
2 wheels for life

December 25, 2007, 11:32 AM

NIce link .. here it is pasted

Group riding is fun, but can be a tricky thing, especially when there are some newbies in the group. So please read the following.

1) Always ride in staggered formation, unless we start hitting hard twisties, then ride in single file. Allow yourself a safe distance from the rider ahead of you.

2) For experienced riders: Always show your front wheel before passing. Only attempt this if and only it is safe. For example, overtaking a cager or fellow rider when an upcoming turn is only 30 or 40 feet away is not safe since it does not give the cager/rider ahead enough time to react.

3) Never pass or buzz by in the same lane UNLESS waved on first.

4) Never pass during a curve or turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy
5) Never cross the double solid yellow line trying to overtake a rider or cager.

6) Signal lane changes with signal lights and or hand signals.

7) Signal within-lane position changes with foot signals.

8 ) During busy intersection turns, the second lead guy should turn wide and block traffic for the rest of the group.

9) Always ride at YOUR pace within your limits... NEVER try to keep up if someone is riding faster than you. Don't worry, the group will always wait at the next turn-off.

10) Positioning: Lead guy (point-man) in front, of course.
More experienced riders at or near the front.
Newbies at the rear.
"Sweep" following last.

11) Fill-up with gas BEFORE arriving at the meet.

12) Lane-switching on the highway:
When switching lanes while riding in a large group we must follow a standard procedure. And in order to do this correctly and safely, we need RESPONSIBLE leaders, lane-holders, and sweepers.

To explain the lane-switch procedure, it's easiest to use an example. Let's say there are 10 of us in the right lane. The leader wants to change lanes.

a.) He looks, and once it's safe for him AND the number 2 rider to change lanes, he switches lanes.
The number 2 rider then switches with him. That number 2 rider is now the LANE-HOLDER.

b.) The lane-holder slows down and begins to drop back so that the number 3 rider can pass him. Once safely past the lane-holder, the number 3 rider merges into the lane behind the leader.

c.) The lane-holder continues to drop back, allowing the number 4 rider to merge in, then the number 5 rider, and so on.

d.) When it's the sweeper's turn to merge in, he does so. Then the lane-holder must show the sweeper his front wheel, and the sweeper must allow the lane-holder to pass him within the same lane, so the sweeper can resume the sweeper position.

There are a lot of stuff that we probably left out and we welcome comments/suggestions, and even criticism.

All in all, have fun and please make sure you wear all the necessary protective gears (helmet, gloves, boots, 1 or 2 piece suits) before heading out to the twisties.

**UPDATE**
13) If for whatever reason you leave the group, ensure you contact someone with in that riding group that you have made it to your destination. It will save everyone alot of stress and worry.

** Disclaimer: The information provided above is strictly for general information, not a rule of thumb one must follow that will guarantee safety or relief from possible danger. You, the rider(s), are responsible for your own actions and in no way will www.sevacycles.com and its associates be responsible or liable for any incidents/accidents/actions should an event occur.**
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

December 25, 2007, 12:12 PM

Thany you buddy!!

2006 Triumph Daytona 675 Scorched Yellow
Unread
  (#4)
Loves Sporking

December 26, 2007, 09:20 AM

I've ridden with some VERY experienced riders on this board, and it's suprising to see some (only a few) who still think that their left arm out, bent up at the elbow means they're slowing or stopping. Sorry to inform you, you're signaling a RIGHT TURN! Left arm with hand DOWN means you're slowing or stopping.

Also, when you're at an intersection next to another bike, the rider on the inside turns FIRST! That means the rider on the right turns right first... or, the rider on the left turns left first.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 27, 2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
I've ridden with some VERY experienced riders on this board, and it's suprising to see some (only a few) who still think that their left arm out, bent up at the elbow means they're slowing or stopping. Sorry to inform you, you're signaling a RIGHT TURN! Left arm with hand DOWN means you're slowing or stopping.

Also, when you're at an intersection next to another bike, the rider on the inside turns FIRST! That means the rider on the right turns right first... or, the rider on the left turns left first.
Ain't that why I have turn signals and brake lights. Seems to me that hand signals are the cool way to signal these days. I love when riders turn on their left sig then point at the lane next to them. Better yet, the guys who use hand sigs while dressed in black at night even if they have working turn signals.

How about ditching all the foot and hand signals for some useful ones like low fuel, clear to pass, pit stop and sever road hazard. K.I.S.S.
Unread
  (#6)
Where's neutral?

December 27, 2007, 11:00 AM

hand signals are easier to see and grab attention of multiple riders and cars around you. I would say that most of us dont have the biggest turn signals in the world and plenty of people never notice them. Hand signals are a good way for people further back to see your intentions as well. thats why i use em

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

December 27, 2007, 11:17 AM

Some of us don't have turn signals at all anyway.

No, I don't ride in black at night -- have white gloves for signalling. And there are signals for "gotta pee" and "outta gas" and "holy shit cop" and "what a dumb a**hole." Ride meeting prior to taking off should cover this....

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

December 27, 2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster
Some of us don't have turn signals at all anyway.

No, I don't ride in black at night -- have white gloves for signalling. And there are signals for "gotta pee" and "outta gas" and "holy shit cop" and "what a dumb a**hole." Ride meeting prior to taking off should cover this....
Yeah, I know.

Riding in the pack or at the back I notice hand signals for turns and stops no faster than a light. If hand signals are so much safer then why do all cars and nearly all production street bikes have signals? Also, the last thing I want to see or be around is noobs giving hand signals at the expense of paying attention.
Unread
  (#9)
Loves Sporking

December 27, 2007, 11:40 AM

Yes, and you Virginia folks with your cheezy glued on baby LED lights under your damn tail section. Geesh.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#10)
Where's neutral?

December 27, 2007, 03:35 PM

Last edited by giarcoloba; December 27, 2007 at 04:35 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Where's neutral?

December 27, 2007, 04:17 PM

In my opinion, you cant compare a car signal light to a bike signal light, one is much larger and more noticable. Drivers dont look at your quarter sized turn signal tucked under the tail, nor do they usually even give two hoots that you are riding next to them. I use both my light signals, and hand signals. why are you so ademate about telling people not to use hand signals, designed as an extra precaution of safety?

Not trying to hate, just a thought.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

December 27, 2007, 04:38 PM

<-- No signals at all on my street fighter.

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

December 27, 2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcoloba
In my opinion, you cant compare a car signal light to a bike signal light, one is much larger and more noticable. Drivers dont look at your quarter sized turn signal tucked under the tail, nor do they usually even give two hoots that you are riding next to them. I use both my light signals, and hand signals. why are you so ademate about telling people not to use hand signals, designed as an extra precaution of safety?

Not trying to hate, just a thought.
I am not. It your choice. As JP said most folks use the wrong signals anyway or only signal left turns. As you sadi most bikes have small lights mostly by rider choice. Get behind me. I hit my brakes and you will know it.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

December 27, 2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster
<-- No signals at all on my street fighter.
As they are not required but, signaling is. You have already stated that you signal properly and wear white gloves at night. Good on ya.

I simply said that I don't see the benefit in using both and/or inproper.

l let's go one step further. Lack of mirrors. Atleast one is required in VA. I nearly clocked a guy riding without mirriors a week ago. He changed lanes and never so much as glanced over. I feel like I am missing something without mirrors. On a group ride I will NOT ride behind a bike with no mirrors if at all possibly.

Last edited by Space; December 27, 2007 at 05:42 PM..