DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
3 members and 526 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

April 21, 2004, 10:50 PM

Didn't want to hijack the goals thread anymore, so the debate will carry on here if there is one.

Point made by TylerDare taking the stance of bad:

Quote:
There is no reason to hang off on the street but in the rare case. I know I did a little at the GAP but its a really bad idea in most cases and your going to fast. Acutally there is a do's and don't list somewhere and that is one of the don't on the street. It's by some famous rider and I'll try to find it. You hang off to increase your available contact patch on the tire an no other reason and that is caused by the speed yoru taking the turn. One other possible item is geting a knee down to push the bike. If your not going fast enough to need it there is no reason.
And my counter-point taking the stance of good:

Quote:
What's the maximum speed before you need to hang off? What's the minumum speed in order to hang off? If that's the way you think, then I think you need more exposure. I take several turns hanging off where my bike remains in an almost vertical position becaue I'm going so slow. This has saved me a plethora of times. Gravel covering the entire lane? Went thru it without a hitch. (The guy in front of me wasn't hanging off and damn near highsided. Neither were the guys in the back and they ran off the road, one hitting a tree) Car in my lane? No sweat. The main reason to hang off on the street is in case of the unexpected: oil, gravel, sand, etc. The minor reason is to go fast. If I took the corner in the seat with some lean, I would have a lot less options to deal with it and a greater chance of wrecking. It's all about minimizing risk. I have never wrecked on the street because I take care in minimizing risk and never riding over my head.

You tell me, if you and I went thru the same corner at the same speed, but I was hanging off, and we came upon gravel across the entire street, who would have the better odds of not getting into an incident? Who has more options? Who has the lower CoG? Why is lower CoG a good thing? It's common sense.
Debate anyone?

-Mod
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 22, 2004, 10:09 AM

Can't tell you if it's good or bad, but I can say that I do hang off on the street. In fact I probably hang off too much on the street, but for some reason I am just more comfortable hanging off. Gives me that extra margin of error if I go in too hot or there's something unexpected in the road I feel like I am better situated to react. Can turn sharper with the bike still relatively upright, and hanging off seems to give me better leverage on the bars to crank it over more if needed. Over all, I just feel more stable. Keep telling myself it's not necessary on the street. Then I take a few turns not hanging off, and don't feel as comfortable, so I go back to hanging off again.

$.02.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#3)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 22, 2004, 10:27 AM

I too hang off on the street although not nearly as aggressive or as much as on the track. I don't want to change riding styles between street and track and as Mr. SV/VFR says above, it gives you that extra margin of safety.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

April 22, 2004, 12:08 PM

No to mention if you are on a Honda with stock pegs you will be scraping all day unless you hang off which can (although rare with collapsible pegs) upset the bike.
Unread
  (#5)
Mr. Glass

April 22, 2004, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabernickel
No to mention if you are on a Honda with stock pegs you will be scraping all day unless you hang off which can (although rare with collapsible pegs) upset the bike.
who still rides hondas?

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 22, 2004, 12:34 PM

I only hang off if it's a road I know...

and by "hang off" I mean taking a more comfortable position in a turn. You've got to be an idiot to knee down on the street. Just my opinion.

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#7)
Mr. Glass

April 22, 2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6

and by "hang off" I mean taking a more comfortable position in a turn. You've got to be an idiot to knee down on the street. Just my opinion.
indeed

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#8)
Cooked White Rabbit

April 22, 2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6

yea tj you said it well. I shift on the seat but I try to be ready for anything unexpected. On the track I just let go and don't worry about whats around the curve.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to TylerDare  
Unread
  (#9)
Conform & Obey

April 22, 2004, 02:15 PM

sometimes i hang off, sometimes i dont. it all depends on how fast i am going. if i am not hanging off, there is a point where it feels like the bike is leaning WAY far over and feels unsafe. if i hang off just a little (or just shift my weight) it feels much safer. When i do hang off, it is no where near how i hang off while i am at the track.

There is no need on the street to hang off like a track monkey. and if you need to do that, you are probably going too fast for street riding anyway.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to splyn  
Unread
  (#10)
Ballaugh Bridge

April 22, 2004, 03:09 PM

I'll hang off on the street a little in order to keep my speed up without excessive lean in order to have a little reserve.

Even without hanging off, if you're scraping pegs on the street, either you riding faster than you should be or your suspension is far from being properly setup.

My SV still has the stock pegs and brackets and very rarely do I scrape a peg on the track. Only in turns 1 and 6 at VIR.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#11)
Got Any Gwapes?

April 22, 2004, 03:19 PM

I feel that hanging off gets maximum exposure for my ass...ie ...chicks get a better view. Not really concrened about how stable it makes me...just posing.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#12)
Railing!

April 22, 2004, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929
I feel that hanging off gets maximum exposure for my ass...ie ...chicks get a better view. Not really concrened about how stable it makes me...just posing.

When your out "posing" just make sure you are'nt near Dupont Circle
Unread
  (#13)
Richard Cranium

April 22, 2004, 06:15 PM

I would say if you know what your doing...and can do it safely....go for it..ive never "hung" off my bike...dont know how...dont know if I want to...my a$$ likes the seat lol....but it appears just as in driving a car...the better your skills are..the more you should use them...thus making a better safer rider....as somone already said..and im sure everyone agree's (even if they do it time to time) putting a knee down on the street is a bad idea.....but thats a choice you make on your own...refer to previous statement, if you can do it safely go for it....

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
Unread
  (#14)
boxing twins

April 24, 2004, 08:01 PM

Muscular memory, otherwise known as physical habits, can either save your butt, or really hurt you.

How many video clips have you seen of riders panic stopping and end up doing stoppies? Maximum braking is done with both wheels on the ground, yet these guys have made a habit of braking hard into stoppies.

When a crisis happens, you default to your habits.

So, either hang off the bike consistently, or not at all. Make one a habit, that you can count on in a crisis.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

April 24, 2004, 08:03 PM

Personally, I think it is important to get your "centerline" to the inside of the bike, so that the bike will naturally fall in to the turn. That part about sitting on the seat while doing the "Pace", is one part of the "Pace" with which I disagree. While I don't hang as far off as some (it's hard to move my fat ass way off the seat) I do hang off a little to set up for the turn. It feels safe and natural to me. I think it gets a person in the right mindset for taking a turn correctly and gives you more room to adjust for error. I also feel more comfortable, because my head is vertical and in line with my body while hanging off. Though I can have fun riding just sitting on the seat, it is a little awkward for me to keep my head in a vertical position when leaning, while doing so. Hanging off alleviates this for me.

I also think it is very important to look as far through a turn as possible. I find this is easier to do while in the hanging off position. This lessens the sensation of speed, as well as allows the earliest possible detection of oncoming trouble, so important for riding on the street. For me, there is no conflict with hanging off. I think, if you're going too fast for the street and hanging off, you're probably going too fast for the street while not hanging off.