DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 490
2 members and 488 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Machine/Rider Interface
Unread
  (#1)
otb
AMA Superbike Champ

Machine/Rider Interface - January 26, 2011, 10:47 AM

Riding Tips may not be the place for this thread, so if'n the mods wanna move it, I'll understand.

I spent part of my Summer of Discontent (Unemployment) as the service writer for MRP MotorsportsMRP Motorsports

Frankly, I was stunned at the amount of motorcycles that were brought in for service for things like "gearbox issues", "strange noises", "clutch issues" .....that only required a drivechain adjustment!!!!

When I pointed out to one rider that the chain was so loose it was flopping around and had nearly sawed through the swingarm pivot, his response was "Whatever, man. I just want it fixed."

Several bikes came in with "poor acceleration issues".... the reason they didn't accelerate very well is that the drive chain was riding over this little disc-thing with some bumps on it.....I THINK it was a sprocket at one time......but I'm not sure.

We did some expensive and extensive custom work ( like big-bore kit, stroker crank, flowed heads and Ti valves, custom intake, bored throttle bodies, yada yada yada... like $8-10 K worth or motor, suspension and paint) on one guy' bike....and when we let it out, we gave him VERY SPECIFIC PRINTED INSTRUCTIONS on break-in and new-bike service requirements. The motor needs to be treated like a new bike, with a 200 mile service and oil change to flush all the break-in crap out of the motor and check to make certain everything is copacetic.

That was in the spring...I didn't hear from him again until October.... when he called us for a tow.....

He'd put about 8K miles on the bike, never changed nor even checked the oil. He said he thought fuel injection was bad.......turns out when Kenny dropped the oil drain plug, about 8 oz of sticky goo oozed out ........

That was it.

HMMMM.....

To my mind, there is nothing that will so much cement bike and rider together than regular basic service. Nothing fancy, nothing requiring a certificate from MMI.........just a willingness do do the basics.

Don't know how? Don't have tools? Never done this stuff before? Wanna learn but don't have time for an evening course in small engine repair.
I have a sure fire, low cost and FUN method of learning how to do basic bike service. Post up here a weekend or evening date and time for when you have a couple of hours, offer to buy a case of Heinekin and some pizza, and you will be inundated by offers to teach you how...by folks that have more experience than Carter has Little Liver Pills (you wouldnt understand, it's an olde guy thing).

Learn to adjust your chain, lube and adjust cables, CHECK TIRE PRESSURES, check and/or change your oil... and mebbe even learn how to change and/or repair a tire with a couple of tire irons (pain in the ass, but it could save your ass if you get stuck in the middle of nowhere). It's easier to learn how when you don't have to than to learn when you are stuck 40 miles from Whitedog, Ontario (Google it) on a Sunday with a 4 inch nail in the rear tire and nothing but a couple of screwdrivers as tire irons (ask me about it, someday).

Rather than being drudge work, basic service skills free you... they free you from self-imposed boundaries; free you to go explore this great world of ours while taking many of the what-ifs off the table: WHAT IF I get a flat, WHAT IF I need my clutch adjusted, WHAT IF.............

IF that stuff happens...you'll DEAL with it. Happily.... and with confidence and a sense of accomplishment.

It all starts with checking your own tire pressures.....

Riding fast bikes slowly since 1969....

Last edited by otb; January 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ton Up!

January 26, 2011, 11:08 AM

Always like working on my own bike, it might be a PIA sometimes, but a little routine service here and there goes a long way.

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpetologist

February 13, 2011, 11:44 AM

Very true
Unread
  (#4)
It's not about me....

February 14, 2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otb View Post
He'd put about 8K miles on the bike, never changed nor even checked the oil. He said he thought fuel injection was bad.......turns out when Kenny dropped the oil drain plug, about 8 oz of sticky goo oozed out ........

That was it.
All I can do is ROFL....... (and say "dee dee dee")