DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 575
1 members and 574 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

October 4, 2005, 01:22 AM

I'm writing a paper for my english class on how motorcycles have become alot more safe then they used to. Unfortunatly I'm having some problems finding sources of information. I'm thinking of using things like gear improvements and bike improvement as well as some typical myths people use about bikes. What I need is if anybody can help me find source on these web pages or knows some books anything I NEED HELP!!! Shit any other ideas you may have on how motorcycles are becoming safe would help. if you know of anything or even something that could help post up and let me know!!!!

Burn Rubber not Ur Soul!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to 1WheelUp  
Unread
  (#2)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
October 4, 2005, 08:34 AM

Try Motorcyclist magazine editorials.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

October 4, 2005, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WheelUp
I'm writing a paper for my english class on how motorcycles have become alot more safe then they used to. Unfortunatly I'm having some problems finding sources of information. I'm thinking of using things like gear improvements and bike improvement as well as some typical myths people use about bikes. What I need is if anybody can help me find source on these web pages or knows some books anything I NEED HELP!!! Shit any other ideas you may have on how motorcycles are becoming safe would help. if you know of anything or even something that could help post up and let me know!!!!
How about advancements in the following or the past couple decades:

-Riding training
-Tire Development
-Suspension development
-Materials advancement (ie frame, composites, etc...)
-Helmet/Gear Improvement
-How about constant rider contact via forums like this (a bit out on a limb, but it could pan out)

I dont know, that should get ya started.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Addicted to Cajen food...

October 4, 2005, 08:50 AM

Nice list Nate...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 4, 2005, 09:47 AM

Try looking up the Hurt report on motorcycle crashes. He did it in the 70's...and using that as the basis for detailing how the current motorcycle industry is addressing the causes of wrecks. (Better brakes, better lights, rider education, etc.)

Should be easy enough to say that teh bikes are lighter, more reliable, rider training is available, etc. But you will still have to note that there is an inherent level of risk associated with something that is always in the state of falling over. (And only the rider's movements keep that from happening.)

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

October 4, 2005, 12:45 PM

Do any of you know were to get this information cause ive tried on multiple items on you list nudist and i just get some bullshit stuff sometimes.

Unread
  (#7)
Typical Stripper

October 4, 2005, 12:52 PM

You want me to write the paper too?

Search for things from particular years... searching requires being fairly consise to weed out the BS...

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

October 4, 2005, 03:40 PM

thanks nudist i know that, thats why im asking you guys if maybe you might know some places books websites i dont know anything!! cause my searching hasn't really come up with much info just basically all the same shitover and over again.

Oh and doesnt anyone know of some good magazines with helpful info in it!!

Unread
  (#9)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 4, 2005, 04:54 PM

try Cycleworld or Motor Cyclest. i would say try Psycles Sportbikes but that one isnt out yet

E_M_A_G_D_N_I_M
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to fictionnn Send a message via AIM to fictionnn  
Unread
  (#10)
BE ENCOURAGED!

October 4, 2005, 06:20 PM

May I also suggest searching this site. There have been some great statistics and a ton of information posted on this site over the years by some extremely knowledgeble people.

All to often many of us tend look at the current stuff on DCSBN and forget that there is a wealth of knowledge under your nose in the form of past threads. Use the search engine in the upper right hand corner. Be creative in your searches and you might just be suprised at what you find.............

Good luck on your paper! If you need more help or have questions that would aid in your research, don't hesitate to post them.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#11)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 4, 2005, 06:50 PM

Nice avatar

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#12)
You meet the nicest

October 4, 2005, 10:55 PM

Is your paper going to be about riding motor cycles (in the US) becoming safer, (statistically) or that bikes themselves have become safer? Maybe both. Maybe safety has not improved as much as the advancements in technology suggest it could. Maybe thatís due to higher performance, different riding styles/demographics, or denser traffic. Maybe safety is better now than technology alone would warrant due to better more wide spread training and/or better gear.

Those are just some ideas but youíll want to clearly sketch out your thesis while being flexible to go where your research takes you. In any case youíll need statistics, and the more raw the data you can find the better.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics
- Mark Twain

It pisses me off when I read about motorcycle fatalities being higher with no mention of whether thatís relative to increased bikes sales, miles ridden, or what. So my now unhidden agenda is to encourage you because Iím too lazy to research what data is out there myself.

In my world Google is the start of all searches, but if I was working on a school paper I might use 3 or 4 engines. NHTSA looks like they have stuff. They want $ but maybe your library has it. Individual states may have more detailed accident data available than national. Hit some of the bigger states and extrapolate.

MSF-USA.org has stuff on training. You could even e-mail them about your paper.

Like Nate I wonít write your paper but Iíd be happy to look at a rough draft. In any case good luck and keep us updated!

Jim

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#13)
Got my Permit

October 6, 2005, 12:46 AM

well so far I have been to NHTSA, read the book about proficient motorcycling, have the details on kevlar and carbon fiber gear and some encylopedia information as well. got alot of great stats. but was wondering does anybody know where i could find some info on cable or hydraulic clutches, steering dampeners and possibly info that describes about the top notch gear out there!!

Unread
  (#14)
Dont remember how to ride

October 6, 2005, 08:43 AM

AMA? MSF? each might be able to get you started with some stats...

05 GSXR 600 "Dusty" ... sigh.
00 VFR Interceptor 800Fi

Yellow makes everything faster....

and 's make everything faaabulous.

Don't just show up every day... BRING IT.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kimmyT244  
Unread
  (#15)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
October 6, 2005, 08:56 AM

The Ohlins catalouge

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.