DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
3 members and 531 guests
beatle, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

October 17, 2002, 12:47 PM

Been trying to think of some topics to post. Anyone have any questions or suggestions on what they\'d like to see? I was going to do one on powersliding in a corner, but I keep erasing it.

-Mod
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 28, 2002, 09:27 AM

On the DC-Cycles.org email list someone mentioned a course in Savage, MD on Jan 5th.
It's because some guy's military base is now requiring all riders to have completed the MSF ERC in order to ride on base. Some other guy's friend (Rod Miller)is a MSF instructor and he was asked to do this course. To find out more the only contact info I have is for the guy who needs the course, Chris Johnson at cjohnson@cyberpaladin.com
This is a link to the email I received.
http://www.dccycles.com/arch/2002/12...20MD%20Jan%205

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

December 28, 2002, 10:33 AM

Modian,

How about finding the cornerning limits of my bike? Should I just keep taking a familiar curve faster and faster until it starts to slide? What are the signs that its near the limit? How should I react when it does start to lose traction?

I'm also reading TOTW II this winter. Hopefully that will give me some additional info on the topic.

Brad
-- I've got one word for you... brain damage.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/ht...icons/tard.gif
Kat 600
Chevy Chase, MD
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BAMMER  
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

February 2, 2003, 04:12 PM

Quote:
How about finding the cornerning limits of my bike? Should I just keep taking a familiar curve faster and faster until it starts to slide? What are the signs that its near the limit? How should I react when it does start to lose traction?

I'm also reading TOTW II this winter. Hopefully that will give me some additional info on the topic.
You don't want to find your limits that way unless you want a trashed bike. Definitely read that book, then read it again, practice whats in it, then read it again.

I thought I posted on this, but I guess I just started writing something and never posted it. When you start to lose traction, the best thing you can do is nothing. The bike will correct itself. If you panic and cut the throttle or hit the brakes, get ready to kiss the pavement. Usually it will happen so fast though that you won't have time to do anything.

If you are very familiar with your bike and understand throttle control, there are other things you can do. I'll stick to the rear wheel since that's what I'm familiar with. When it starts sliding, it's actually traveling faster than your relative speed. Think of it as a mini burnout. So I will let off the throttle slightly to bring the tires speed down and let it hook back up quicker. I will also stand the bike up slightly, as this usually happens when I'm on the edge of the contact patch. After I catch, I'll bring the bike back down. All this happens in heartbeats. Some might argue with this and I will add "Do not try this unless you know what you are doing and are intimate with your bike and know how the bike will react. If you mess it up, you will get messed up."

I've gone thru countless slides and never had a problem. I've also overheated my tires so much that thru one turn my rear slid, then my front, then my rear, then my front again. Got thru the corner, thought "That was fun" and hit the next corner. The important thing is to not panic, not get scared, and do not let it mess with your concentration. I didn't slow down that day till it had slid out on me about 6 more times. Then I finally had enough, lol.

-Mod
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

February 4, 2003, 07:49 AM

How do I find the limits of my bike ? you asked. There are ALOT of variables. Tires are probaly the biggest one. Is your suspension set up properly? Is ground clearence going to be an issue? From the picture you have a Katana, right? They usually have wider fairings and lower pegs than say a GSXR. These factors will come into play. Chances are you'll find your limit before the bikes. It took me 2 years of serios track riding to be able to say that I can out ride the bike.
I recommend joining a club that will get you some quality track time. That is the safest way to find yours, and your bikes limit. Just my .02...........

Ride it like you stole it!
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

February 27, 2003, 01:14 AM

Am I on crack? It says 17 replies and I see 7.

Deadlifts really fuqed with my head today. But I did beat my best by 40 lbs. Working 80 hours in one week doesn't help either.

-Mod