DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 517
3 members and 514 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
A.R.C.T.I.C. Riding Workshops
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

A.R.C.T.I.C. Riding Workshops - June 15, 2006, 03:58 PM

Many of you know about my commitment to promoting Safe & Sane Street Motorcycling. I have received a lot of PM’s from people supporting the efforts of this site to make it a safer riding world for everybody. We have seen more new people join DCSBN in a shorter period of time than any time I can recall in my three years as a member. There have been a lot of fantastic bike related discussions lately regarding riding habits and safety. Some of you may recall a thread that Tony (Rronin) recently posted up that referred to “Practice Style” Riding. The article really got me to thinking.

So I have decided to found A.R.C.T.I.C. Ride Workshops. This acronym stands for Always Ride Consciously & Totally In Control. These will be chilled paced, small group rides (thus the term ARCTIC) lead by a select group of Pre-Qualified Ride leaders & Pre-Qualified Ride Sweepers. But they will also be much more than a ride. They will be workshops where the group of no more than 5 people and the leader and sweeper go out and practice slow speed fundamentals and stop every 30 minutes or so. The group will take a few minutes to discuss the ride and offer up positive suggestions to their fellow riders on skills they may individually want to work on to help improve their riding skills based on observing their fellow riders actions. The group will be rotated around at each stop so nobody is following the same rider each time.

Also before each ride and groups of 5 are broken into and sent riding, there will be a safety meeting & review. Your fellow bikers will look over each other’s bikes, as well, for possible safety problems and point any out that might be found. Everybody will then go off for 4-5 hours workshop rides on various back roads, as well as roads through towns and interstates, to practice their riding skills in all types of road environments. At each stop period, riders will be encouraged to ask questions of each other, discuss their feelings about the ride and get suggestions on things that they may want to practice on the next leg of the ride.

At the end of the entire riding workshop road period, all of the groups will get together at one location, eat and share with everybody things that they may have learned or might want to suggest from the days events that might help the entire group improve. Maybe exchange some names and numbers and make a few new friends who may want to get together and do little practice rides on their own.

The goal of this program is to make “Practice Riding” a habit each and every time you ride. The best way to describe it is if you have ever been golfing with someone who takes the game seriously, you will notice that not only do they have a fun time, but they also make mental and written notes about each shot. Re-swing to see what they did and make mental notes on ways to improve their game constantly. This is what I am looking to help street riders do. Have fun, but train yourself mentally to always be improving as you ride.

I would like to have our first A.R.C.T.I.C Workshop Ride sometime in late July to Early August. These rides will be open to ALL bike types and all riding skill levels. Beginners to very experienced riders always can use improvement. We are practicing saftey skills and establishing habits. Right now I am interested in receiving PM’s from people that would like to learn to become Ride Leaders & Ride Sweepers. These people will also be responsible for the running of the chat sessions in each of their groups. If we have 50 people that want to go into groups of 5 and train, that means I need 10 Riders & 10 Sweepers. This will be a chance for some of the more senior riders to give back to the riding community, by offering their skills to newer riders. Also I would like to hear everybody's thoughts about building a curriculum for these events. Any subject or street riding skill you think might be helpful is welcomed as a suggestion.

I look forward to hearing everybody’s thoughts on this idea, I just ask that we please not post whore this thread to badly or have private one-on-one discussions with each other. So let's hear your ideas on this. Thanks!

"Make Practice Riding your Riding Practice"

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?

Last edited by GUZZ; June 16, 2006 at 06:25 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 15, 2006, 06:36 PM

I like it! You have a PM!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#3)
I am a nice guy :)

June 15, 2006, 09:24 PM

I am also for this! Teaching people the safe way to ride and have fun is something that seems to be missing. I'd personally like this to include sessions for people who want to make it to the track at some point.

-Leon
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to leon  
Unread
  (#4)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
June 15, 2006, 10:13 PM

EEEEEExcelrnt idea Guzz.

Smaller groups lead to less confusion. with everything. For these rides I would go a max of seven. Five to rotate two and comand and 5 to mix it up. That amount gives the lead a chance to see the sweep often enough to set a pace based on the slowest rider.

Without having to own at least two comm systems

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Nothing to see here.

June 15, 2006, 10:35 PM

This sounds like an excellent program. I am a new rider and learning as well as practicing safe and sensible habits is something I that appeals to me greatly. I applaud your efforts.

If the opportunity presents itself, I would love to join the inaugural ride.

-chris
Unread
  (#6)
Emm Teh

June 16, 2006, 05:54 AM

Great idea Guzz. If you need an extra sweeper let me know. I can generally go every other weekend.

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#7)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

June 16, 2006, 07:41 AM

Sign me up.
Unread
  (#8)
I miss you Jeff

June 16, 2006, 08:27 AM

Great idea!

~Jennifer~

LaoTzu: "Life is like a box of chocolates, you take a bite out of one and throw it back in the box if it sucks."

Rossi: "You are the SCHMOOPIFIER!"

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/coppermi...SpicyTWAT1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to cajen  
Unread
  (#9)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

June 16, 2006, 08:55 AM

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#10)
Groundhogs can play dead

June 16, 2006, 09:10 AM

Great idea. I'd love to participate.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
You meet the nicest

June 16, 2006, 05:20 PM

Awesome Guzz!

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#12)
Stercus accidit

June 16, 2006, 06:14 PM

Yo can I be the instructor on radness?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Harvey_TT600  
Unread
  (#13)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

This is a great idea. I would love to join in one weekend, as long as I am in town.

"If you ain't FIRST, you're LAST."
"Women who behave rarely made history."
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BlondeCaptain