DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 565
2 members and 563 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

March 17, 2003, 01:43 PM

Hey everyone....Enjoying riding out here in Iowa and just think this forum rocks for advice so here is the new question of the month for me. How do I smooth up my shifting....It doesnt seem as smooth as it could be especially the shift from 1st to 2nd. So what can I do or practice to smooth it up. Especially concerned when having someone on the back. Let me know loungers and ladies....

P.S. Anyone know the easiest way to get in so I can drag my knee..

" I feel the need, the need for speed" - Top Gun
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to nd4speed Send a message via AIM to nd4speed  
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

March 17, 2003, 01:59 PM

Try giving a little upward pressure with your foot before pulling in the clutch. It's all about timing, but you might also need to adjust your shift lever.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

March 17, 2003, 02:06 PM

Yeah absolutely put some pressure on the shifter just before you shift, then simultaenously roll off the throttle and just barely fan the clutch and it will slip right into the next gear very smooth. In fact a lot of times you dont even need the clutch, but I always use it on 1-2.
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

March 17, 2003, 02:07 PM

I suggest taking an advanced course and or a class taught at a track. Good teachers and good environment to learn this properly. Hearing it and doing it are two different things. A repetubale track school will be your best bet to learn to drag a knee in a controlled enviorinment

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

March 23, 2003, 02:28 AM

sounds like you might want to go backwards! :laugh:

what I mean is, to go to a p-lot with a willing passenger and pratice
1st and 2nd gear roll-on's, at low speeds,....

after all, pratice make purfect!

- Greg

Enough jibba jabba.

Welcome, Fool!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public.” -Theodore Roosevelt
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to OneFunR6  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

March 23, 2003, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Shifting gears smoothly is one of the more difficult things to do while operating a motorcycle; shifting (particularly down-shifting) without feeling the weight transfer that usually accompanies a sloppy gear change takes practice.
We've taken some flack for promoting the use of two-finger braking on modern sport bikes, but this technique is especially appropriate if the rider is braking and modulating the throttle simultaneously when down-shifting.
Engine speed and rear wheel rpm must be matched to achieve a smooth down-shift, and there are two ways to accomplish this. In the first two photos, the rider displays the throttle-blipping technique used by most racers, which is also applicable to street riding. Since braking and down-shifting often occur simultaneously, the right hand is responsible for not just slowing the motorcycle, but raising engine rpm to match the lower gear ratio as well. Make sure the brake lever is positioned so it will not contact your knuckles under hard braking.
As the throttle is closed and the brakes are applied, load the shifter slightly to pick up the slack in the lever. The next three movements are done simultaneously and quickly: pull in the clutch, blip the throttle and move the shift lever. Adjust your clutch lever so that the point of engagement/disengagement is as far from the bar as possible, always making sure to leave 2 to 3mm of free play at the end of the lever. This allows the clutch lever to be disengaged in its initial range of motion, with just a quick two- or three-finger movement. The rider in the inset photo is using four fingers and pulling the clutch all the way to the bar -- wasted movement unless you're either coming to or already at a stop.
As the shifter is notched into the lower gear, blip the throttle (rev the engine slightly and quickly). If you're braking while working the throttle, work at keeping lever pressure uniform to prevent the front of the bike from bobbing up and down. Let out the clutch fairly quickly and in between each shift, and never click more than one gear at a time. Practice until this becomes second nature. If the revs drop and then rise again as you let the clutch out, more rpm are needed prior to clutch engagement.
Here's another technique: when decelerating at a partial throttle setting, complete the downshift while keeping the throttle constant (i.e., don't modulate the throttle at all). Pull in the clutch, click the downshift and let the clutch out. Don't move the throttle. You'll be surprised at how smooth the gear change feels -- and your passenger will thank you.
Proper adjustment of all levers is important to optimize the movements it takes to correctly control the motorcycle. Notice the rider's foot in the inset photo; in order to downshift, it must be lifted off the footpeg -- the lever is adjusted too high. Make sure the shift lever, clutch and brake are all properly adjusted so minimal movement is needed to operate the motorcycle.

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

April 18, 2003, 04:56 PM

on the topic of shifting I noticed that someone said they only use the clutch sometimes. Is this a good way to shift or the way that you are supposed to shift (without the clutch)??
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Banned

April 18, 2003, 05:38 PM

im pretty sure the clutch is their for a reason, not using it is halfway to having an automatic transmission, and if you wrent supposed to use it, they would simply have a button for changing gears
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to pip666  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

April 19, 2003, 09:35 AM

Up shifting without using the clutch is OK. It will not cause things to come flying out of the motor. Although just remember to back off the throttle a bit when doing it. This will allow for much quicker upshifts. Also nothing is a substitute for practice, practice, practice.

People sleep peacably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
2004 R1
2002 CBR954RR
2002 CR250R
1991 KX500
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YUSOSLO Send a message via MSN to YUSOSLO