DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 497
2 members and 495 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
TOUGH Question about Motorcycle Safety Class for VA and MD riders
Unread
  (#1)
High Flyin!

TOUGH Question about Motorcycle Safety Class for VA and MD riders - June 2, 2008, 11:33 AM

Okay... I plan on taking the Motorcycle Safety Course offered. Now the question comes into play here... I live in MD now (just moved from VA not long ago) but my driver's license is a VA driver's license. I have not lived in MD long enough to apply for a MD license, so if I were to take the Motorcycle Safety Course in MD, would it reciprocate in VA in order for my VA license to be certified Class-M? Or would have to wait months until my license is officially a MD license first?

Last edited by portermg; June 3, 2008 at 07:29 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

June 2, 2008, 12:17 PM

That is a tough question. Why must you wait months to get an MD license? Normally, if you own property or purchase utilities in a state, you are required to get your license changed within the first month, right?

If you no longer live in VA, you can't get your M-class in VA. Go take the class in MD and keep the card they give you authorizing you to get your M in MD. When you finally get your MD license, get the M on it. Until then, that card should be the equivalent of the M not yet on your license.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 2, 2008, 12:42 PM

The class is longer in MD. It's probably more expensive too.
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

June 2, 2008, 01:25 PM

Maryland requires you to change your license and registration within 60 days if you take up residence in the state, last I was aware (2004), so I'm not sure from where you're getting told that you have to wait months. The MSF course in MD will give you a certificate for only a MD M endorsement. If the VA course is less expensive, perhaps you should hurry up and get a VA endorsement and then have it transferred with your DL to MD.

There's actually a very easy answer to this question though: Wait until you get your MD DL to get the M endorsement. Yeah, not very practical though.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
need more knee down

June 2, 2008, 01:33 PM

when i moved from md to va i had to transfer my license within 30 days (as of Aug. 07). I transfered my m class from md to va with no issues, just told the lady that i had that on my md licenses and she added it to my new va one. If you still have your va license then run and do the class in va then update the license and then tak ethat to the MVA and have the designation transfered. Also i paid $130 for my MSF in baltimore county through the MVA lottery ( i got lucky and was picked the first time i submitted my application).
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr 
Unread
  (#6)
Track Ho

June 2, 2008, 01:41 PM

people, when you move, update your stuff, simple as that

get your license in MD

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#7)
High Flyin!

June 2, 2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
people, when you move, update your stuff, simple as that

get your license in MD
Wronggggg.... I do not HAVE the Class-M license yet...thats why I cannot update my Class-M license yet... Did you even read my question?

Thank you to everyone else who helped out...I am going to try to get the class in VA while I still can.
Unread
  (#8)
Track Ho

June 2, 2008, 04:38 PM

I stopped reading after I saw you living in one state and driving in another

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 2, 2008, 07:49 PM

What's so tough about this question. You have a VA license, take MSF in VA and get your license.

When you get your MD license - at worst - you can take the MSF again.
Unread
  (#10)
High Flyin!

June 3, 2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
That is a tough question. Why must you wait months to get an MD license? Normally, if you own property or purchase utilities in a state, you are required to get your license changed within the first month, right?

If you no longer live in VA, you can't get your M-class in VA. Go take the class in MD and keep the card they give you authorizing you to get your M in MD. When you finally get your MD license, get the M on it. Until then, that card should be the equivalent of the M not yet on your license.
I couldn't just take that authorization card from the Maryland class to the VA DMV to show proof that I took a certified Motorcycle Safety Program course and get the Class-M on my VA license?
Unread
  (#11)
High Flyin!

June 3, 2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
I stopped reading after I saw you living in one state and driving in another
Yea, because that is SOOOOOO unlikely to happen. I didn't realize that I was the first person to ever do that....

Unread
  (#12)
I am a bitch, so what?

June 3, 2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermg
I couldn't just take that authorization card from the Maryland class to the VA DMV to show proof that I took a certified Motorcycle Safety Program course and get the Class-M on my VA license?
No. The Motorcycle programs are either privately run or state run. Each state requires slightly different things. If you live in MD, then you need to switch your license to MD and take the Safety Course in MD. On the other side, if you have a VA license then you need to take the safety course in VA. Get your M on your license, THEN switch to MD. In MD, the course completion card does not act as an M on your license. You will get cited for driving a motorcycle without a license, even if you have completed the course but have no M.

Dude, there's no way to take a course in one state and get your license in another, unless you already have the M on your license when you move.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#13)
High Flyin!

June 3, 2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil
No. The Motorcycle programs are either privately run or state run. Each state requires slightly different things. If you live in MD, then you need to switch your license to MD and take the Safety Course in MD. On the other side, if you have a VA license then you need to take the safety course in VA. Get your M on your license, THEN switch to MD. In MD, the course completion card does not act as an M on your license. You will get cited for driving a motorcycle without a license, even if you have completed the course but have no M.

Dude, there's no way to take a course in one state and get your license in another, unless you already have the M on your license when you move.
Thank you! You clarified everything for me! I appreciate your help!
Unread
  (#14)
Honkey Kong

June 5, 2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermg
Yea, because that is SOOOOOO unlikely to happen. I didn't realize that I was the first person to ever do that....

Dude, I think the point here is that if your residence is one place and your license is in another, you should address that first.

--
"Relatively speaking, there are right views and wrong views. When we look deeply we see that all views are wrong."--Thich Naht Hanh

gewalker@gmail.com | Twitter: @gewalker

2007 SV650N
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to M0nk3y