DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 529
3 members and 526 guests
beatle, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
DT
Yesssssss.....

June 29, 2004, 01:48 PM

Saw some guy yesterday on a ZX10R on 7100, pull a left Uturn in the area that popos usually reserve for themselves.
The guy literally slowed down to about 8-10 mph, leaned the bike at about a 45 degree angle, completed the U turn, brought the bike back up and took off.
How the hell does one accomplish that at that speed???

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

June 29, 2004, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT

Saw some guy yesterday on a ZX10R on 7100, pull a left Uturn in the area that popos usually reserve for themselves.
The guy literally slowed down to about 8-10 mph, leaned the bike at about a 45 degree angle, completed the U turn, brought the bike back up and took off.
How the hell does one accomplish that at that speed???
with a lot of practice/seat time. the dude is probably very comfortable with his bike and well versed in what that bike can do and what he can do on it.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 29, 2004, 02:18 PM

I just saw a guy yesterday take a right turn at a stop light like that.

I thought he was going to fall over, but then he took off so smoothly...

Go spend 30 minutes in a parking lot dodging parking lights and blocks and you'll be pretty good too I bet.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

June 29, 2004, 02:43 PM

I've seen that same thing, but with no hands. Pretty cool stuff.

With hands, slow down, crank the bars to the side you want to turn to, and flick a u-e. (easier said than done).

Welcome to Virginia, where crime is accepted but speeding motorcyclists will be lynched
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

June 29, 2004, 03:07 PM

I saw a guy on a 929 or 954 can't remember which one but I was leaving work one day and this guy made a 90 degree right hander and almost scrapped his exhaust he was leaned so far over. He was only going maybe 10 mph since he was coming into a parking lot. Ed and everyone else has the right idea, be comfortable on your bike and practice alot.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#6)
Mr. Glass

June 29, 2004, 03:07 PM

yeah it looks hot.. with practice.. it can be accomplished.. like TJ said hit a parkin lot and try it out

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#7)
You meet the nicest

June 29, 2004, 03:30 PM

Besides looking cool, it's a good safety skill to reduce your exposure if you have to turn around in the twisties.

The trick is that the throttle will pick the bike up from being leaned over. If you don't trust your smooth throttle off idle (or have crappy 1st generation FI like my '98 ) you can drag the back brake against the throttle. This gives more control.

Try it

Jim

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#8)
boxing twins

June 29, 2004, 04:31 PM

- use the rear brake (this takes up the gearbox & chain slack)
- apply throttle all the way thru the turn
- look where you want to go

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

June 29, 2004, 05:39 PM

thanks for this thread too. I'm marking it to come back to in about 3 months, LOL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Igrado Send a message via AIM to Igrado Send a message via MSN to Igrado  
Unread
  (#10)
You meet the nicest

July 2, 2004, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusafiend
- use the rear brake (this takes up the gearbox & chain slack)
- apply throttle all the way thru the turn
- look where you want to go
This is exactly right!

If you're good, you don't need the back brake. But you still have it in your bag of tricks for riding two up, or if there's sketchy pavement, off camber, etc.

An additional technique is counter weighting (not to be confused with counter steering). Shift your weight (ass) to the high side and lean opposite to the bike's lean. This allows you to push the bike down further and reduce the turn radius even more.

Igrado, you will learn about counter weighting in your MSF class, but they won't have anything about using the back brake. I don't know why that is, but I have a lot of respect for the curriculum. A LOT of work went into developing it. So as an instructor, I only mention it to a few students who are struggling with the U-turn box but otherwise doing well.

Good luck

Jim

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

July 2, 2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKDBLD
So as an instructor, I only mention it to a few students who are struggling with the U-turn box but otherwise doing well.
I hate that damn U-turn box. Hate it, hate it, hate it. And it hates me too because it's the only part of the MSF that i lost points

~Kim
CCS# 827
01 GSXR1000
01 SV650S

I'm ADOS: Attention Deficit Oooooohhhhh ... Shiny!!!

Life's a BITCH. 'Cause if it was a slut, it'd be easy.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kevers  
Unread
  (#12)
Cooked White Rabbit

July 2, 2004, 01:27 PM

try a battletrax sometime.

www.battletrax.com

What is BattleTrax?

The simplest and best answer is… fun. Need a little more definition?

Recognizing that not all motorcycle riders have the desire, or the resources, to try roadracing—yet would still like to experience some of what a track has to offer—we developed BATTLETRAX as a fun, low-speed alternative to the racetrack.

Emphasizing personal best, rather than head-to-head competition or speed, BATTLETRAX allows a rider to explore handling and braking limits in a safe, challenging environment. Laid out on a large parking lot, the BATTLETRAX course features a series of turns, slaloms, and gates that place a premium on smoothness of operation and precise throttle control. Improvement throughout the day is recorded by each lap being automatically timed to 1/1000 of a second. To add to the fun, riders are broken into classes that allow like motorcycles to compete with each other. New for 2003: We now feature a "bracket" format that rewards consistency, in addition to our regular TToD classes. All types of motorcycles and all levels of riding skill—from beginner to expert—can find fun and excitement "carving cones" on a BATTLETRAX course.

Think you can’t have fun in a parking lot… in first gear? If so, that just means you haven’t yet tried BATTLETRAX.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to TylerDare  
Unread
  (#13)
You meet the nicest

July 2, 2004, 02:20 PM

I saw a BattleTrax a few years ago in CA (didn't have a bike with me) Damn it looked fun! There were some serious dudes there with bikes set up for Supermoto. Wouldn't do well on a GSXR, but now that they have separate classes...

After a day of that you'd definitley be comfortable pimpin your bike around the B&N lot

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

July 6, 2004, 06:13 PM

I've been working on the u-turns for the test and so far counter weight and looking where you want to go has been key. I've found that if you ignore the cones you'll be fine...otherwise I personally tend to stare at the last cone and either run it over or nearly hit it.
Of course, the first time I tried u-turns I was leaning into the turn...BIG MISTAKE...now on earth I kept the bike up is beyond me but as soon as I read up and figured out that I was leaning the wrong way it made all the difference. Guess we'll see because I'm going to take the driving test this Thursday so hopefully I'll be ok but, who knows....this is my first test so even if I fail, I'll know what to work on. Riding slow is without a doubt a challenge though.
-Chris
Unread
  (#15)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

July 19, 2004, 06:33 PM

I've got two different techniques. One for when I'm alone and one when there's other riders with me.

Alone, I'll shift my wieght to the high side of the bike and lean the bike, not my body, as far as I need to and let the throttle pick it up when I'm done with the turn. The reason I use this when I'm alone is that I require being able to accelerate out of it in order to avoid dropping my bike. If there's a rider that pulls in front of me, I don't want to have to drop my bike to avoid him.

When I'm with other riders, I'll lean my body with the bike like any other turn. That way if need be, at any point during when I might have to avoid something or someone, I can just straighten up and ride out of it.

The first method lets me turn sharper while the second one gives me more options should something go wrong. Different techniques for different situations. When Im alone and make U Turns at an intersection with a thin median, I alway start from the inside of the lane closest to the median and see how sharp I can make the turn. Usually I can make it inside of the inner lane going the other way. Just one of my stupid things to stay intertained.

-Steve

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I walked in on Steve while he was in the bathroom once, it was glorious...
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
2002 Sportster 883 (for her)
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 (second one) - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ