DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 501
2 members and 499 guests
2blueyam, beatle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
What do you do?
Unread
  (#1)
Ballaugh Bridge

What do you do? - February 22, 2006, 04:34 PM

When you're braking hard the front end locks up (particularly, due to a less than ideal road surface) and it is starting to wash out?

Let off the brakes right? Yes. But what's to keep the front end from continuing on its way sideways. Get on the gas! And hopefully at that point you've identified an out besides braking.

This is another case of "when in doubt, gas it out". Using the throttle solves a lot of problems.

I had to do this today. It was about 35 degrees and the roads were damp. I had just let work and my tires were not up to temperature yet. Well, some idiot decided he needed to be over two lanes to an exit that he had already passed. So he moves into the right lane in front of the car in front of me (he was about two feet in front of the car when he moved over), and basically stops. I start braking hard and then the front begins to wash out. I was using two, maybe three fingers for braking so it wasn't too difficult to let off and get on the gas. It came back, I aimed for the center of the lanes, reapplied the brakes, was down to maybe 15mph (the other traffic 5-10) and could've stopped, but I said "ahh, screw it", I'll split'em and get the hell out of here.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
You meet the nicest

February 22, 2006, 05:49 PM

Damn! Nice moves Travis...

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

February 22, 2006, 07:07 PM

Weird you post this, I was out on my 05 the other day which still has tires on from my last races, well I decided to do some hard braking to make sure everything is fully functional on the bike and when I got on the brakes the front tire locked, and went sideways (beginning of a lowside) so I let off and put some throttle and it was ok.

I think what saved me was staying loose and letting the bike move instead of making any major movements and letting go of the brake when I felt the bike tilt to the side. I thought of the throttle because the engine rotation adds to stability and the more movement you have in a forward direction (speed) the increased stability the bike has.

One more reason to be very careful when using race take-offs on the street...I believe the reason this happened was due to cold tires. It was 60 degrees (the warm day we had the other week) so caution goes out to people who think race take-offs really do warm up.

Good stuff Travis!!!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#4)
unapologetic

February 22, 2006, 08:14 PM

last Wed when it was like almost 60, I took out my RC. It has USED take offs. The tires had not really heated up after my way out of the sub-division I was in, and as I passed through a puddle and got on a minor straight, I gave it some gas to get the burps out.

Well, I won't ever do that again.

Chopping the throttle, pulling in the clutch and leaning over the front tire has now allowed me to use the restroom today as opposed to not for a while longer. Then I get to the light to make a right turn, and as I get on the gas even slower, I scare the crap out of everybody coming out of Fair Oaks Mall by sliding sideways over 2 1/2 lanes before...you guessed it,......gassing out of it. Heavy side leaning, little clutch work, and I straightened up like freshly starched jeans, and away I went. Right back to the garage, and back in to storage, not to be brought out again until I have new rubber on.

Travis, you brought up a good point, "when in doubt, look, point, and gas it out".

It would have sucked to crash, too.......

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#5)
Got my Permit

February 23, 2006, 11:36 PM

Can you comment on applying throttle when the front end is headshaking a little bit?
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

February 24, 2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
Can you comment on applying throttle when the front end is headshaking a little bit?
At the track when the front gets light and the front starts to headshake I've stayed on the throttle and just let my arms move instead of fighting it...each time the bike came back quickly.

If you're getting a lot of headshake you may want to make sure your fork settings are properly set, too stiff or too much rebound can cause the front to move a bit. The reason this happens is each time throttle is applied the suspension changes due to the throttle input. If you have your suspension too stiff...it will cause the front to get light easily leading to some headshake. Of course, there are MANY other causes as well so that's just one example.

If you chop the throttle while the you have headshake, you'll end up increasing the headshake because it's caused by a reduced contact patch so think of it as the front tire searching for the ground...if you chop the throttle and suddenly provide a very large patch you may end up in an increased headshake or wobble. So...just ride it out and remain loose on the bars...the bike will correct itself unless you try to fight it. Steering damper will help resolve this as well.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#7)
opossum puncher

February 24, 2006, 02:26 PM

Ahhh very true, and great advice, similar thing happend to me today on my way home, but I wasnt using the front brake, in the turn the front started sliding out, but i was rolling on the throttle, front end caught and I continued to ride a way. Its funny, you know when you take a shot of jack and you have to breathe out, got that same feeling as soon as I knew I wasnt going to dump the bike!

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool