DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
3 members and 516 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
What would you do?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

What would you do? - August 28, 2012, 05:50 PM

I fully understand ride your own ride and the principals of 'this is america, and we are free to do as we want.'

What would you do in this situation?

Picking up my daughter from school this afternoon and taking her to an appointment, as we are pulling out of the school parking lot, I see a guy picking up his son on his bike and point out to my daughter "Hey, should I pick you up from school on the bike, pretty cool, huh?"

I look closer at the bike as they roll past my car and notice.... the kid on the back is wearing a BICYCLE HELMET!!! (double take, what, what, no, damn, hell no)

I am able to pull next to him at the intersection at the school exit, still in a residential area. I yell at the rider to get his attention, notice he does not even have his helmet buckled. I ask him to pull into the parking area and get off the bike and if he does not I will contact the local police. He asks why, I point out that his passenger is wearing a bicycle helmet and not safe, let alone against the law. He then proceeds to pull into the parking lot and get off the bike.

Now I am hoping that is where it stopped, my instinct tells me that he waited for me to leave the area and then proceeded home. I am hoping that pointing out the kid wearing a bike helmet put some sense into him and he just parked the bike and walked the kid home.

I pick up my daughter on occasion and I will be on the lookout for this guy to see if it continues, if it does, I will be contacting the local police. If the guy endangers his own life, that's his choice, but I can't morally allow him to endanger that of his kid or any other kid.

Is there any other way to deal with that situation?

Note* - daughter said she would like to be picked up on the bike, just get me a real helmet and leathers. 10yr old who understands sarcasm!

Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

August 28, 2012, 05:59 PM

Report it. It's called child endangerment.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

August 28, 2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Report it. It's called child endangerment.
This

Ride your own ride only applies when you're alone on the motorcycle.

Fuck this guy.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#4)
No more 1050 :(

August 28, 2012, 06:04 PM

Give the guy a MSF pamphlet, no need for the cops... pull to the side and explain (nicely) exactly why a bicycle helmet is not appropriate.

Chances are the motorcycle is brand new, or he is brand new to riding. Some people are completely ignorant when it comes to moorsickles and the safety that goes along with them. Give them a chance to learn before you try to scare them off.
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

August 28, 2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
Give the guy a MSF pamphlet, no need for the cops... pull to the side and explain (nicely) exactly why a bicycle helmet is not appropriate.

Chances are the motorcycle is brand new, or he is brand new to riding. Some people are completely ignorant when it comes to moorsickles and the safety that goes along with them. Give them a chance to learn before you try to scare them off.
The bicycle helmet was on his kid.

Fuck having a chat with the guy, leave that to the police.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#6)
The last urrbendah

August 28, 2012, 06:07 PM

Let it go. This can only be a positive for the gene pool.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

August 28, 2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Let it go. This can only be a positive for the gene pool.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

August 28, 2012, 06:09 PM

I don't even have to check any more.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

Unread
  (#9)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

August 28, 2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post

No. Common sense should prevail.

I haven't brought my daughter out on my streetbikes yet. Why? Because I don't feel I can do it safely enough. Putting your kid out there on a non-DOT rated bicycle helmet is just plain stupid. Let him suffer and not his kid. I've seen somebody's face after an accident with no facial/head protection.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

August 28, 2012, 06:25 PM

Hopefully I put some sense into the guy, I did watch him turn off the bike and get off. I also made enough of a scene in the presence of multiple bystanders and the school security that I am sure some of them caught onto what I was telling the guy to do. If he attempted to leave the grounds on the bike with the kid, I am hoping one of them stops, confronts, or contacts the police.

I should have got his plate number.

Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
Unread
  (#11)

August 28, 2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
The bicycle helmet was on his kid.

Fuck having a chat with the guy, leave that to the police.
Yeah I know.. and his helmet wasn't even fastened, so if they did fall his would fly right off probably before he even hit the ground.

From the sound of things, dude had NO idea what he was doing.

In case you haven't noticed, I am not one to call the cops for almost anything... this single incident certainly wouldn't make my list.

Ugh, lots to type, on my phone... cliff notes I suppose: You said he pulled over. Pull to the side with him, explain the above, offer to give the kid a ride home. If you're not busy that night, take him & the kid to a local moorsickle store and help them get a proper fitting lid.

Many states don't even have a helmet law. Intentional child endangerment? I don't think so... inadvertent endangerment? You could argue that, but he wasn't in any better shape himself.
Unread
  (#12)

August 28, 2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
No. Common sense should prevail.

I haven't brought my daughter out on my streetbikes yet. Why? Because I don't feel I can do it safely enough. Putting your kid out there on a non-DOT rated bicycle helmet is just plain stupid. Let him suffer and not his kid. I've seen somebody's face after an accident with no facial/head protection.
Common sense is all too uncommon.

Never did I say do nothing and let them ride off into the sunset... I just disagree with getting the police involved with something which could very well be an honest mistake. Be glad you were able to catch it before the cops did, be very glad you were able to catch it before the worst happened. Either way, you're helping them.
Unread
  (#13)
Railing!

September 2, 2012, 06:11 PM

You did the right thing. I think calling the police would have been counter-productive at the initial stage, unless he completely refused to listen. But if he was receptive, giving him some safety advice and info would probably be the best option. If he continues to do it, however, even after having that knowledge...well, that's where you draw the line and you make a phone call to the police.

Unrelated, seeing your avatar made me miss allsports. Gotta get myself back out there!
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

September 2, 2012, 06:29 PM

you did right man. I just hope he listens

99 CBR 600 F4 "Black Betty"
05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
* Disclaimer - Bad Speller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
The last urrbendah

September 10, 2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan10 View Post
hi friend
I fully understand ride your own ride and the principals of 'this is america, and we are free to do as we want.'

By the late 1960s, the talk show format became more focused on the interviews themselves, leaving the sketches and improvisations to the variety shows. Talk show hosts such as Dick Cavett, David Frost, Mike Douglas and Tom Snyder all became household names through their personal interview styles. Guests on these talk show programs were encouraged to do more than simply promote an upcoming film or musical album. Cavett and Snyder were especially adept at the "talking heads" format, drawing their guests into lengthy academic discussions and using tight close-up shots

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F