DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
2 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

October 7, 2002, 11:15 PM

Have you ever been out riding...and riding fast, you start to take a corner and you realize your going to fast?

What the first thing you do? Mash the brakes right? Well that\'s a good start... what you soon find out is that inevitable force pronounced -=E NER SHA=- other wise known as \"Oh sh*t I am going to fast!\"

Well, the tendency is to lock up the brakes, go straight and just run off and wreck...but in reality what you need to do is get off the brake and give it gas to move your force/weight off of your front tires and onto the rear. This will allow you to turn into the corner.

The hardest part about it is convincing yourself to give it gas when your mashing on the brakes.

Its like the bikes going straight and your trying to lean it and it aint going anywhere..as soon as you give it a little gas, you will feel the bike behaving thats when you \"Lean and Pray\" and hope you\'ve hit the gas soon enough.

I am not talking acceleration through the turn, just hit it Light and quickly to shift your weight from the front to the rear and turn. By the time I am at that point it\'s do or die...sometimes I underestimate how low my bike will lean...I realize that I don\'t ride my bike to half of the potential it has.

Good luck and if you get in one of these situations, maybe this will help you out.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Ride your ride and be safe this season.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rixride  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

February 28, 2003, 04:04 PM

IMHO it is actually better if you look where you want to go versus looking at where you are currently pointed, and things usually take care of themselves. Unless your tires are stone cold or too worn to begin with, it is possible to complete many corners with increased lean angle and some trail braking (within reason) without touching the gas at all. Increasing throttle in a turn (sometimes even a little bit) while leaned over will have a tendency to move the bike to the outside of the turn as the gyroscopic effect of the wheels increases and the bike tries to "stand up", unless you counteract that with bar lever pressure. Sometimes at the track when it looks like I might cut an apex too close, I intentionally apply just a little bit of throttle to adjust the bike just a bit towards the outside of the turn so that my tires or bodywork do not hit the curbing. That doesn't happen very often at all...most times I never touch the throttle until after I've cleared the apex.

CCS Expert #599
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

March 9, 2003, 08:34 AM

998R, I would have to argue your response. A bike should not run wide mid corner if you are on the throttle propperly. Even if you are on the throttle too much, the bike should tighten the turn up from the rear spooling up and coming around. Laying off the throttle will cause a bike to run wide from the front wheel having too much weight on it.
If someone enters a turn hot, the worst thing to do is not get on the gas. Going in faster than you feel is right, plus being on the brake, trail braking, and NOT getting on the gas, is a sure way to tuck the front.
If your bike is running wide mid corner on the gas, your suspension needs some attending to. Sounds like it too tight.
Just my .02...........

Ride it like you stole it!
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

March 9, 2003, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Sometimes at the track when it looks like I might cut an apex too close, I intentionally apply just a little bit of throttle to adjust the bike just a bit towards the outside of the turn so that my tires or bodywork do not hit the curbing.
I will argue this too though I don't like debating someone who races expert I would do the opposite and believe the opposite. If you're running wide, get on the gas to tighten your turn up. Laying off the gas a little will bring you more to the outside of a turn if you're oversteering, not getting on the throttle. If you're going wider when you get on the gas, then I agree with miller that something is wrong.

-Mod