DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 610
1 members and 609 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Riding Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Your bike is ready. Are you?
Unread
  (#1)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

Your bike is ready. Are you? - April 11, 2013, 11:39 AM

This is a bit of a followup to a few safety related posts OTB and I made to our new blog. I highly recommend you guys also check out his three-post series addressing fear.

Anyway, here are the two posts in question.

Decreasing Radius Blog Archive Zen and the Art of Passing the Buck

Decreasing Radius Blog Archive A Study In Contradictions

Safety, although I occasionally treat it as an absolute, is relative. It's also a very personal concept, based on individual assessment of risk. MSF describes the "risk ladder," a concept that, at its core, represents the increase in risk factors as rungs (climbing the ladder) and the resulting increased overall risk. What they fail to adequately address, in my opinion, is that those "rungs" vary in size based on a lot of things.

Exceeding the speed limit, for example, isn't inherently "unsafe." It's merely a rung on the ladder. With skill, and a capable motorcycle, the rung for speed is a smaller rung. 100mph on a brand new, well maintained sportbike with a competent rider is different than it is with a newb on a clapped out bike with questionable maintenance history. In fact, I would submit that even with training and experience, riding a motorcycle is not "safe." We cannot remove risk, we can simply manage it. Some of us, myself included, are less likely to get in an accident on a motorcycle simply because we're more attentive and hyper-aware.

Training, experience, and a capable machine can serve as a mitigating factor to many of those rungs. Plenty of riders take care of the "capable machine" part, but many riders neglect training and experience.

Although I love the MSF program, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Courses like Total Control, trackdays, Cornerspeed/Cornerspin, etc are all ways to teach us how to react to potentially adverse conditions. I recommend track days or cornering clinics to all riders, regardless of their riding style, because I believe that knowing the absolute limits of your machine and yourself is crucial to being prepared for an emergency on the road.

It's easier to avoid a fallen tree branch mid-corner if you know for a fact that you and your bike are capable of 20 degrees more lean. It's easier to recover from a loss of traction if you've spun the rear up at the track.

It's also important to recognize the utility of what many of us consider "boring" aspects of motorcycle training. How many of us practice quick stops on our motorcycles? I don't as much as I should, that's for sure. But a few hours every so often of running those types of drills in a parking lot can prepare you for the threshold braking you may need to use when someone pulls in front of you.

The number one cause of motorcycle accidents is, in my opinion, complacency. Sure, the guy who pulled in front of you is at fault... but wouldn't you like to be able to say that your superior riding skills and comfort with your machine allowed you to avoid that wreck? It's certainly a lot nicer than talking about fault from a hospital bed.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Stand Collector

April 11, 2013, 12:05 PM

wow, great read on the blog!

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

April 11, 2013, 12:11 PM

I certainly wish I had taken the time to get more comfortable with the brakes after moving from my hunk of junk f4i to my zx6.

I don't know for sure that it would have kept me on my wheels in my crash, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

April 11, 2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
I certainly wish I had taken the time to get more comfortable with the brakes after moving from my hunk of junk f4i to my zx6.

I don't know for sure that it would have kept me on my wheels in my crash, but it certainly couldn't have hurt.
Every little bit helps. I know I'm not as diligent as I could be about that sort of thing, but I try.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#5)
Signed up for Track Days!

April 11, 2013, 03:35 PM

pretty good post, didnt look through most of your threads but one point you can throw out in one of your posts/threads (if you havent already) tire air pressure. Being that we're coming out the cold and weather is warming back up hopefully sooner. Not many of us probably pull out a decent/good gauge (walmart $1 gauge is crap for this stuff) Couple-few psi's can really throw these sport bike tires off. If tire is under the recommended pressure then unwanted carcuss flex can occur, and tire will heat up too quickly, excessive wear. too much air, wont allow the tire to heat up to the correct temps... yada yada yada.
Unread
  (#6)
no one's blowing up moons

April 11, 2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umayr View Post
pretty good post, didnt look through most of your threads but one point you can throw out in one of your posts/threads (if you havent already) tire air pressure. Being that we're coming out the cold and weather is warming back up hopefully sooner. Not many of us probably pull out a decent/good gauge (walmart $1 gauge is crap for this stuff) Couple-few psi's can really throw these sport bike tires off. If tire is under the recommended pressure then unwanted carcuss flex can occur, and tire will heat up too quickly, excessive wear. too much air, wont allow the tire to heat up to the correct temps... yada yada yada.
Got a list of quality gauges to recommend? Hard to tell the what's good for a good price as opposed to the over-priced cr*p if you don't have any experience with any thing but the pencil gauges.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#7)

April 11, 2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
Got a list of quality gauges to recommend? Hard to tell the what's good for a good price as opposed to the over-priced cr*p if you don't have any experience with any thing but the pencil gauges.
I know what you mean, I went through with this with trail and error myself unfortunately. Do not buy any of the SLIME ones you see at walmart, autozone, etc. If you really want something thats got a good background, known well through many track riders, my recommendation would be the motion pro, its expensive for us mere mortals but if you want to invest then something like this one may be for you.

MOTION PRO - Professional Tire Gauge - Pumps - Tire Tools - Tires - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

Not everyone has a bill to spend on a air tire gauge, my buddy bought this one and it works great. Solid reviews, I checked my tire pressure with this gauge right here below and then checked it immediately with a calibrated air tire gauge from a dunlop tire vendor at the track and got the same reading. So I highly recommend this one as well if you dont have money to burn

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Air-Pressure Gauge with Hose - Pumps - Tire Tools - Tires - CycleGear - Cycle Gear
Unread
  (#8)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

April 11, 2013, 05:25 PM

woops, super srs section, fu.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you

Last edited by Slow; April 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
no one's blowing up moons

April 11, 2013, 06:01 PM

and so much for an a**hat-free safety thread.

Umayr - . I've been wondering about the worth of my gauge. Good enough for cars I'm sure but I wanted something better for the bikes.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#10)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

April 19, 2013, 06:50 AM

yes am ready to ride and kill the tyre
Unread
  (#11)

April 21, 2013, 01:13 AM

this one just went on sale at cyclegear... I think ima go ahead and buy this one too since its on a really really good sale

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Professional Digital Tire Gauge - Tire & Wheel Tools - Tools - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear