DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 557
3 members and 554 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Aprilia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

April 1, 2003, 04:00 PM

A common problem on the Falco is the shearing off of the pin for the side-stand sensor. Don't know if it happens on the Mille as well, but would not be surprised.

If the pin shears it will cause the indicator on the dash to light, and if the circuit gets interrupted the bike will cut out when you stick it in gear. You are then left with two options.

1. Replace the pin. You can get a replacement from Aprilia or use a small screw or piece of metal bar. A coat hanger piece would probably work if you drilled out the hole on both sides for it to fit.
2. Jump the circuit and get rid of the sensor. To do this you just have to take the sensor off the side-stand. It is held on by 1 [8mm?] bolt. Follow the wire up the frame. Next to the top frame rail on the left-hand side will be a white plastic male-female connector. You can clip the wire on either side of the connection. There will be 3 wires. Green, Brown and Black. Strip the cover off of the Black and Brown wire. Twist them together and cover with tape, cap, or whatever it is you use to cover bare wires. Then tape them all together with some electrical tape and stick them back inside the frame rail.

I may have confused which wires to twist together. However, you'll know when you put the bike in gear and it stalls. Process of elimination. I will edit this when I have double checked my bike.

"Nick675 - sounds like a Harley"
"Me - Its a trash can"
All - Hysterical laughter

Nuke the Moon. Go here to see why ->http://imao.us/docs/NukeTheMoon.htm
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to elcidbob Send a message via AIM to elcidbob  
Unread
  (#2)
Loves Sporking

March 11, 2004, 08:27 PM

I just had this very common problem on my Falco last week. I got a free spoke from a bicycle shop to repair it. The advantage of the spoke over a coathanger is that it has a threaded end. So you can cut it to about a centimeter, shave the old plastic pin piece, and drill a small hole to thread-in the spoke piece.

My artistic repair work would have worked well. Unfortunately, it's too easy to drill thru the sensor. Upon realizing I destroyed the switch by over-drilling, I just ordered a new one. Thankfully, it's under warranty in my case, and the new piece uses a metal pin instead of a plastic one.

While I wait a super long time for this inconsequential part, I've simply pulled the rubber sleeve back from the three wires, cut them all, stripped them, wrapped them together, and taped them. This defeats the switch, and the light stays on. But I'm getting a new switch anyway. So my temporary fix allows me to ride... and I've alway been careful about raising the sidestand before riding away. For the time being, I have the dashlight as a constant reminder until my new switch arrives.

Johnny V.
CCS and FUSA #67
  Send a message via AIM to