DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 530
0 members and 530 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Brand Specific > Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
CBR600 dual headlight mod
Unread
  (#1)
Ballaugh Bridge

CBR600 dual headlight mod - December 19, 2009, 06:33 PM

I finally got around to doing this. Stock it is equipped with single-filament H7 bulbs. Single light for low beam, the other one turns on for high.

You need:
two H4/9003 bulbs
two H4 sockets
wire
crimps
electrical tape
tools

The H4 bulbs are larger, so start by trimming the metal part of the H4 bulbs so they will fit in the headlight assembly. I used tin snips and then a dremel to finish it.

The springy metal piece that holds the bulbs in will be really tight now. To lock it in again it helps to loosen the screw that holds it on. Re-tighten the screw once the bulbs are in.

Before installing the bulbs, remove the original sockets and the rubber grommets in the headlight housings. You have to cut the wires.

I used H4 sockets from a VFR harness. You will need to run the two positive leads together then attach another length of wire (like a Y), two feet is good for the additional length. Do the same for the negative leads and the high beam leads. For Honda wiring green is negative, white/black is positive/low beam and the blue is positive/high beam.

I didn't do this but if I was going to do it again, before joining the wires I would suggest putting the sockets in the housing and running the wires out the hole where the grommets were. This way you don't need to notch the hole in order to insert the metal leads of the sockets after removing them from the socket.

You will connect these three wires to the stock wiring. What I did is remove the metal plugs from the plastic quick connects. Remove the green and white from the connector on the right side of the bike and only the blue from the connector on the left side. I expanded the mini metal spade type connector and inserted the bare wire in it, squeezed it close a little bit to put some pressure on it and then wrapped it with tape.

The covers for the back of the housings will no longer slot in the way they are supposed to because the bulb and socket stick out more. I just put the cover on top and then wrapped the perimeter with tape to hold them on.

Apparently the bulbs may need some rotating a certain way and the adjust bolts turned in order to adjust the aim. I haven't got around to that yet. For now the bulbs are turned so the reflectors within them reflect to roughly a 10 o'clock position on the left and 2 o'clock on the right.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I was sleeping

December 19, 2009, 08:34 PM

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#3)
AMA Superbike Champ

December 19, 2009, 09:38 PM

nice write up man, i always wanted to do this mod. hate one sided head light. if anybody doing this mod the 9003 socket can be purchased from advance auto for like $10 or any junk yard out of civics, corollas(98-01) and camrys (97-99).

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

December 19, 2009, 09:45 PM

Did you do it because you were tired of being told, 'Hey man, did you know you have a light out?". I hear that's a common reason.

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 19, 2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseTooth View Post
Did you do it because you were tired of being told, 'Hey man, did you know you have a light out?". I hear that's a common reason.
I've only heard that once, if that even is what he said. I thought he said something else too and he's lucky he didn't lose a mirror.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

December 19, 2009, 10:16 PM

yeah, looks like you were going for lumens

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

May 5, 2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseTooth View Post
God!!! heard that too many times!
Unread
  (#8)
kin
Batman wants my bike

May 5, 2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRR View Post
God!!! heard that too many times!
+100000

06 R6